1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

All I wonder is how much people who developed things like nicehash or t-rex are making at 1% cut. Doesn't take many people mining for that to be a boat load of money for essentially no overheads

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I don't mind paying the cut for the ease of use of Nicehash - it's so much easier to use and you can see how much you're earning rather than mining for a month before getting a payout from the Pool.

They seem to develop a new software version every few days and there's a lot of coding on the website etc. so I think the overheads may be higher than you think.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

4. oasked

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Bargain!

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Me too, I get they had a sketchy history but I am happy so far.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

$3500? What a joke, you can get a scalped 3090 for less

Just make sure you regularly withdraw in case they have another pretend hack and you'll be fine.

And in other news, the US government are being abusive c**ts again by harassing TSMC to give priority to car chips:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/...n-supply-more-chips-us-automakers-2021-05-04/

Last edited: 5 May 2021
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

On the other hand, TSMC are also planning five more fabs in Arizona.
    https://www.reuters.com/technology/...ion-planned-arizona-plant-sources-2021-05-04/

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Makes a change from the germans doing it!

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

11. David

I thought they were halving the hashrate on the new Ti cards at firmware level?

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Assuming a workaround is not found, will that stop the mining community? It seems so lucrative that 'any card will do', although this may just be my perception.

I met a guy who had bought up 19 x 3 series cards mentioning the bots that can find and buy available stock. The gamer in me feels rather irked by the whole situation, but I dare say plenty of miners frequent this board and they are just trying to make a buck (or several thousand per month).

Why haven't Intel, Nvidia and AMD set up mass mining farms, that would put a stop to this crypto gold rush surely?

13. oasked

I think the joke will be on him TBH. There's not much time left now until the Ethereum EIP-1559 market overhaul in July which is going to reduce mining profits by 30% or more... before mining is turned off completely in Q4 of 2021. That's a lot of capital locked up in graphics cards which may be worth a lot less in July or even in December...

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If AMD and Nvidia held back GPUs to mine with themselves the reduction in supply would inevitably exacerbate the scalping problem, wanna buy my ancient 2080TI for half a million quid?

Where else are you going to buy a GPU from? AMD or Nvidia? They no longer selling as per your suggestion...

And mining can never be defeated for good, even if Eth stops beings profitable there is noting stopping anyone from creating a different minable coin so AMD and Nvidia can never stop withholding cards.

No, the only way is to fix production capacity with billions of investment and flooding the market with GPUs.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering how little there is left to unlock on the 3090 a 3090TI seems kind of pointless?

17. David

How dare you - that's nearly a 2.5% bump CUDA cores!!!!!111one :lol:

It'll still be almost impossible to find, because I don't think Nvidia is nerfing the ETH hashrate on this one.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

with the crypto market in freefall. A GPU as expensive as the 3090TI will be might not meet the required price hash rate envelope

19. el2k

el2k Modder

There is going to be LHR (light hash rate) versions of the 3060ti / 3070 and 3080. The 3090 will be kept as is, presumably because it’s not really needed for gaming? I don’t really know..

Nvidia are continuing to make both normal and LHR versions of all cards for at least a few months though..

The 3070ti and 3080ti will be LHR versions only but will not need to be named as such… because they don’t have another version.

All is explained well in nexusgamers recent video.

Just all be aware of what you’re purchasing when it comes to buying a card, for your own uses or future resale value etc. :thumb:

EDIT: Link for anyone that is interested

Last edited: 22 May 2021
  20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I talked about this more in the crypto thread, but people who have spare capacity to devote to mining don't really bother me. The increased electricity usage certainly does bother me (unless you're using things like 100% renewable electricity tariffs or solar power), but that's a tangent it's not worth getting into right now.

However people who do this (and I don't mean you, @N17 dizzi)...

... can absolutely go and **** themselves. It's just as morally repugnant as rapacious greed that drives megacorporations to contribute nothing to society except impoverished and overworked people.