1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It will only be ded if you left an expansion in it with a RTC battery. The 1200 didn't have one on board. So you might be alright!

I have done a KS upgrade on my 1200 too, and put in a CF, and a Blizzard 030. And all I do is play Cannon Fodder :rolleyes:

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sadly there will indeed be an expansion in there - an 030 of some description with, I want to say, 4MB and an FPU.

To be honest, having just looked on eBay it would appear that even if the motherboard is dead as a dodo I could part out the case and other bits and bobs and make a tidy sum of money, plus they'd be going to someone who would actually get use from the machine. I don't have room for an Amiga and any Amiga gaming I do these days is via WinUAE - I recently did a double-header playthrough of Dungeon Master + Chaos Strikes Back and actually finished CSB for the first time ever.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Ah shame - but then it might only be the expansion which has gone for a burton. WinUAE is good isn't it. It's what I used to set up my CF cards :)

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No worries there, unless you've got something in the trapdoor: the A1200 doesn't have an RTC, so there's no onboard battery to leak. Capacitors, sure, but no battery.

EDIT:
    That'll teach me to check I'm on the last page of the thread before replying...

Byron C likes this.
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As already mentioned, I do indeed have a trapdoor expansion in there :(

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I saw that. Blizzard IV, by any chance? If so, good news - the battery can't leak. It's a different chemical composition. Mine's been dead for years, but just sits there all inert-like.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm not entirely sure, to be totally honest. Haven't powered it up or had the trapdoor open for many a year now. Should really sell it on given that a) I don't use it myself, b) there are apparently plenty of people out there looking for A1200s and c) they fetch decent money.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I had a Powerplay Cruiser when I was a kid, but I never got on with it... It was in that awful lurid green and pink though, not a nice black like this one. I always preferred "flight stick" style joysticks when I was younger...

I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever used real Amiga hardware and this is the first Amiga I've owned, so I really don't care that it's an A600 :grin: - especially when it was a free A600! :lol:

Before I even took it home :thumb:. Thankfully nothing in there, no leaky RTC battery to worry about! Caps on the board are a worry though, so I need to get it delidded and inspected.

Tower models go for even sillier money these days! A friend of mine had a tower-converted Amiga he was still using back in the late 90s, if he'd kept hold of it it would be worth a ton these days... Can't remember what model it was, but it was originally in a 'wedge' case and was custom-converted to an AT-style tower (pretty sure it was AT rather than ATX, since the power button was a clunky "in/out" affair rather than a momentary push switch...

Honestly even if some contacts or traces are corroded sometimes it's still possible to repair it. It's fiddly af because it involves delicately scraping soldermask away from undamaged traces and bridging bad traces/contacts with jumper wire, but it's entirely possible. Even if the board is totally hosed and near impossible to repair, if you can salvage the main components then you can transplant them into replica PCBs designed to fit the original cases.

Pop it over in the marketplace if you ever do decide to get rid - there are very likely more than a handful of people here who would gladly take on the challenge, myself included! :grin:

Arboreal and bawjaws like this.
  9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Just took delivery of this. I'm keen to find out if it really is the "best" wood glue. It has a slight gold colour to it... I love gold. T O I G H T, like a TOIGER.

[​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You're not supposed to sniff it, mate. :lol:

11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I don't know how it is on gluing wood together, but I have been using a bottle of that for a good long time as glue for basing models, so grit, sand, flocks, and stuff onto painted or bare textured plastic, and it has been awesome, by far the hardest wearing finish that I have used so far.

LennyRhys likes this.
  12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

I'm currently giving even odds on the hedge's limbs vs my own limbs being the first to drop.

IanW and LennyRhys like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Titebond is very good, I always use it and it has a good reputation on woodworking forums.

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Titebond I, II, or III are the only wood glues. Anything else is a waste of time and space.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I have some Titebond III in the garage and have been using it for quite some time. Excellent stuff.

I'm not entirely sure whether there was a particular reason I chose III, but there's a chance it was because it has the highest number after it so must be the best.

LennyRhys likes this.
  16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I chose III because, as well as being waterproof and suitable for outdoor use, it has a longer assembly time, which can be very useful.

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I use PVA for all my woodworking needs, it's always been fine, and £2 a litre is hard to argue with.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

^ As above, I got Titebond II specifically because it is waterproof (unlike regular PVA) and I'd like to see how it compares with off-the-shelf stuff I got from ToolStation. I'm planning to build a large driveway gate soon and I want to glue & screw with the best I can get.

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I use hide glue for most everything I do. Otherwise it's Titebond.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not gonna lie I thought it was mayonnaise at first.

I really haven't had a lot of sleep.