1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

So what would you have done then? Let's work through the scenario. Imagine the buck stops with you. What would you have done about Covid from the outset and through the 12 months it's been an issue for the world? What policies would you have put in place? What would you have done differently? Genuinely interested to hear this.

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

hashtag listen to the experts

3. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Which I'd agree with, but even the experts were calling for more draconian measures to be put in place, right from the early stages of the pandemic and also throughout right until now. So it wouldn't suit Walle's arguments as more draconian measures would have resulted in more job losses.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Ah, I wondered who you were addressing. I have him blocked, which I suggest you do too (don't feed the trolls). He's wrong. He's always wrong. If we had a perfect lockdown we could have eradicated it within 2 weeks. No job losses whatsoever.

5. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

I think 2 weeks is a bit of an exaggeration. Significantly shorter, no doubt and a reduced amount of job losses but I don't think its something we could have gotten through unscathed.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I couldn’t agree more and, I have just blocked him as well.

VipersGratitude likes this.
  7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yep. A good chunk of people are treating this like a traffic light:- green means go. I do wonder if they'd run someone over in their cars because the light was green.

Fingers crossed the vaccination program keeps it at bay, but like you I'm expecting either another "we're not going to lockdown" lockdown, or some waffle about the war was worse and we just need to muddle through.

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The irony is that something the right has been yelling about for decades would have made this a much much easier to contain: border controls. We're a freakin' island fer cryin' out loud... It's not like it's impossible to identify all the points at which people can enter and leave this country and institute some sort of... ohhhhhh, I don't know.... control over exactly who is coming and going and who might be carrying a novel virus, maybe?

Maybe that's too much to ask, maybe it's far easier to throw billions at a track and trace system being run by someone who presided over one of the worst data breaches this country has seen in a long time. Yeah, that sounds WAY easier.

It should not be a surprise that healthcare professionals can proficiently deliver a mass vaccination programme when you just let them get on with it. I mean... it is a surprise that it's gone so well, but the surprise is that Westminster hasn't yet found a way to jam its oar in and totally **** it up.

Hey ho, Senedd elections soon, so... Yes Cymru.

Watch some UK dashcam videos. I am constantly staggered by the number of people who will enter a junction without checking that it's clear and end up in a collision with another vehicle. "Well MY light was green, so it's not MY fault that I didn't look for hazards like other vehicles jumping the lights!" No, you weapons-grade jizz rag, it's not your fault that someone else ran a red light, but if you'd just engaged your brain for one moment and LOOKED you would have seen them and avoided a bloody accident!

liratheal likes this.
  9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If they engaged their brain they'd not get that sweet whiplash/emotional trauma money though!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

India is on the red list then. Not like us to do things too late in the pandemic as they're investigating 70+ cases of the Indian variant in the UK alrrady.

You know, the one that appears to be more transmissable and may be able to dodge vaccines as it has both the L452R and E484Q mutations.

Getting fed up of us repeating the same mistakes over and over while all the sleaze billows out.

Edit: Best double check the cancellation policy of everything for later this year and get some toilet roll in.

11. oscy

oscy Modder

Girlfriend's nan was in hospital for blood clots in the lungs from the AstraZeneca vaccine.

12. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

My wife's parents, brother and sister all have it back in India. Luckily they haven't needed hospital treatment, brothers pretty young and housing back and both my in laws have had both jabs. Sister in law also has pneumonia.

Testing times.

I got my first jab tomorrow.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Going for my second AZ jab on Saturday

14. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I was fine until about 8PM, then started to run a light fever.

About 11pm it hit harder hot and cold flushes all through the night. Woke up with a banging headache, aches and pains, still a little feverish.

15. oscy

oscy Modder

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Really???
    Those odds are soooooooo inconsequentially small I can't believe they even register on anyone's radar, let alone cry out for a moan about u-turns.

That there are alternatives is great, but whilst you're more likely to die from a shark throwing a coconut at you on the high street I'd sooner be jabbed with what's on the shelf than not / risk potential delay on another vaccine.

Yes yes I'm a heartless *******, but one who puts his money where his mouth is, my daughter (19) has had one AZ jab and will be going for her 2nd.

17. oscy

oscy Modder

Your argument is the same one people have been using to reject COVID 'scaremongering' from the start; now chances of death from COVID in under 40s are so miniscule, why even have the vaccine, right?

Just because there are only 26,000 annual serious injuries on the roads, let alone death, doesn't mean I won't be pleased to wear a seatbelt or use an airbag with a lower failure rate.

Last edited: 7 May 2021
  18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Now that would be a smidge silly, personally I would introduce enforced vaccinations, but apparently some get their panties in a bunch over that.
    There's a whole hell of a difference between scaremongering and understanding risk.

To use you own analogy there are 28 deaths per million people in the UK (including all modern cars with fancy whizz bang safety features), if 4 deaths in a million from a vaccine worry you, you shouldn't be stepping foot anywhere near a car, there are after all a host of safer transport alternatives.

If you're offered one of the others and they have the stock to do so, then have it, but bear in mind that if you're in one of the at risk groups you'll also need to be thinking about what will happen when it comes to jab number 3 in the autumn and what stocks of the 3 vaccines will be available then.

19. oscy

oscy Modder

Am I really not allowed to feel relief that people can have a little choice and more people will now be vaccinated? Got jumped on in minutes.

Your daughter being fine paints your judgement that relief from someone whose family has suffered blood clots from the vaccine but no instances of COVID is silly. You say the risk is so miniscule that it's daft to worry about, like the miniscule risk of COVID to under-40s...

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Jumped on?!?, grow up, I questioned your opinion, and thinly veiled dig at the government.
    If that a choice will be offered gives you a feeling of relief, I'll go take out shares in cotton wool.

No nothing like, the risk to an individual in terms of a blood clot is minuscule and with no greater societal impact.
    The risk of covid to the individual under 40's may indeed by just as miniscule if not lower (I haven't checked it was a while since I was under 40) but if they all choose to not be vaccinated the greater harm to the wider community / population would be bloody devastating.

My whole family is high risk, I don't take any of this lightly or think it silly.
    My daughter being fine is great, if when she had a first jab there was a choice I would have advised her to go for Pfizer or Moderna, if the choice was however AZ or nothing for a while I'd still tell her to go for the AZ.
    Choice is good, although not for me personally as I don't react well to polyethylene glycol, but not many may know how they react to that particular allergen.