1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

@David, GRT and NU seem to be floundering since I was given them, XLM and COMP have done pretty well.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

CRO is one to watch, Its Visa tie up could really push that coin to $1 mark from where it sits today. Shiba made me a tidy £400 this weekend too, Thank you Elton Musk lol

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks @rollo, I'll check out CRO
    My son said that anything EM tweets about flies!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Do you want to be a space farmer? (Anyone Chia (XCH) farming? )

I've installed the farmer on my downloader Pi that's not doing much. I created 8 plots (4 in parallel, twice) using my main machine. Saved the plots into my NAS spare space. Everything was just sat there unused and powered anyway, so pretty much zero investment. The only wear is on the drive used to generate the plots, looks like around 10TB writes per 4 plots. I used a spare 1TB SSD I got from work.

Probability to win was every 1 yr 10 mo with 8 plots (~820GB of storage), start of weekend. Now it's gone up to 2 yr 3 mo. Ah well, as long as I don't need the NAS space, I'll just let it sit there.

I read pools will become available in a few months time, but to join a pool, you have to re-do the plots. So I'm not in a hurry to fill every storage device. But looks a fun way to utilise all the spare capacities that's already powered to play this lottery.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't like the green claim chia is boasting. Sure, it's nice and power efficient once you have your plots but, to stay ahead of the difficulty curve, you have to keep plotting and that is really power hungry.

6. wyx087

Indeed, it's not green at all. The e-waste from used up SSD's, the energy used to generate the plots and the unnecessary hard disks people purchased for farming.

It's just a case of using unused resources for me, just like my solar powered Nicehash-ing. Plotting runs when computer is on or when solar powered mining. Only difference is, if I'm plotting, I put computer to sleep rather than shutdown and CPU utilisation is always at 20-60%. Doesn't really affect normal usage or even gaming.

7. David

Yeah, it has effectively killed the future market for used SSDs too, I bet.

8. el2k

el2k Modder

ETH at $4150 when only a week ago it was around $2900, crazy stuff aye.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

nuts :p

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not only is the green marketing bs, there are actually multiple cryptos (Storj, Filecoin and the likes) older than Chia that resolve around storing real data instead of ******** that exists to perpetuate itself.

wyx087 likes this.
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got involved in some "shitcoins" this last week. Wasn't expecting anything so chucked in some previous dogecoin profit I took out. Used a fairly simple strategy involving reddit, twitter and telegram to identify coins. I've turned the $100 into $660 in 4 days.

Arboreal, Goatee and Spraduke like this.
  12. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

It is scary how big the current bubble is getting and a lot of people are going to lose their shirts - I don't intend to be one but the FOMO is strong! That said, if someone wants to pay nearly twice as much for my mined Ethereum I wont complain.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yep I have never seen the life on my SSD dive so fast, I thought I would fire Chia up for a nosey as I built a NAS that I haven't put into service yet due to a mobo fault, the couple of admittedly cheap NVMe drives that I use in Raid for a cache typically were down to 80% life in a few days.

Whilst it doesn't use a lot of power, 60w CPU pretty much maxxed plotting a few in parallel, I filled up 20Tb in a week with plots and I'm not sure I care enough for that or to continue filling, just seems a waste, interesting but I'd probably end up kill more SSDs that would cancel out any gains assuming it would make some, yet to see anything and it is unlikely to be as lucrative as GPU mining.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Funny thing. This is now worth 1,500

15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Cash out some and buy some real crypto.

16. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

If you're going to chase a bubble, you might as well chase the bubbliest bubble!

17. MLyons

cashed out 1k. I'll leave the rest in there in case it sorts out my mortgage :hehe:

wyx087 and Goatee like this.
  18. wyx087

And here I am with 1.2TB of plot hoping to win a coin :hehe: 30TB written to my donor SSD, still plenty of life left in it.

I treat it like lottery, just run the farmer on my Pi and I don't loose anything if I don't win.

19. David

Yah not gunna share which coins you were holding? Bad doge! :p

20. rollo

rollo Modder

anyone who got in on shiba made a tidy penny, And anyone who escaped doge in the 50s also did too. Eth will eventually return to £2k mark once the shift away from GPUS kicks in