1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other new fad for the PC modding community

Discussion in 'General' started by totalitymodz, 6 May 2021.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

But does it? Does it really :jawdrop:

Mojo, Nealieboyee, DeadP1xels and 2 others like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Even fewer will probably know what IRC is, despite the popularity of Slack (which was a glorified IRC server in its earliest days). That was my first introduction to internet text chat... Must've been somewhere about '97 or '98 I first started using it...

I thought it was going to be my account's 20th birthday this year but I was a year off. I think we've still got a couple of active 20yr old accounts though.

liratheal likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think this post only just got approved, which is why I didn't see it sooner...

You might want to wind your neck in a bit. Checking someone's post history isn't exactly hard; you'd soon see how much you're talking out of your arse when you accuse a staff modder of not knowing what he's talking about. Project I.S.A.C. has some of the best-looking cable work I've ever seen.

Also: chill with the personal abuse. Moderation around here is pretty relaxed in general (you'd have been banned a while ago on many other forums), but abusing others is a sure-fire way to earn yourself a banhammer visit.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  4. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I don't actually hate the idea of a rigid conduit, GPU bundles being so chunky now you could make it look like a sci-fi monorail with pulsing/travelling LEDs, although there are rgb cables already this could have a different look.

I don't see the idea as particularly commercial though as you'd need quite a few different sizes to guarantee a good appearance and it would likely look like a piece of tatty plastic stuck to cables. Who knows what the kids will buy next, you might be on to something.

The way you've engaged this community is bizarre and left me questioning your motivations, hence my earlier post.

DeadP1xels and Bloody_Pete like this.
  5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Lol.

I think your idea fell a bit flat.... You don't need experience to provide an opinion on a product.

I don't see its a bad idea, just not anything I could envision taking off...

especially with this stuff on the market :naughty::naughty::naughty: ooh sexy.

[​IMG]

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

1-no, the mass of custom pc builds use stock cables and has no interest in this, especially if they have to start cutting off sleeving which on the 24pin, the biggest obstacle for this working, is glued on at either end and a total SOB to get off. flat ribbon cables won't bend 90 unless you pull them apart, but they're already flat and can be cable tied neatly so would then be unnecessary.

2-there is barely enough room in a lot of cases to close the rear panel, let alone encasing them in rigid plastic so they can't be squashed in. Especially if you tried to fit them all in one. Modders (not mass market) will simply make their own to fit their purpose.
    *side note:"gpu leads that require removing to fit them" don't know what you mean by this, especially when you talk about voiding warranties. Are you
    talking about cutting cables at the PSU!?
    -Average joe just isn't going to do that
    -it's also dangerous if not insulated properly,
    -modular PSUs have been a thing for a loooong time
    -modders will choose a psu fit for purpose
    -modders will make their own

3-I'm not just taking about hiding additional cable length under a psu shroud, which people already do to make the rear neater and less cluttered (again making this redundant), but with custom cables, put a couple of bends into them and they're going to be very different lengths, creating a fanning effect where some have to loop round before terminating in the connectors while others will barely be holding on.That's undue stress on the pins and the cable cover will be popping off all the time when you're trying to fit it in. For mass market 98% of custom cables are extensions and you're not fitting the connectors in there. Modders want to see their cables or would simply make their own.

4-Returns happen, but not on the scale that you will when people find their tin-can budget case won't fit the covers. Modders will make their own to fit the case/scratchbuild or will want the cable on full show. Also:
    I was guessing at why your business had failed, obviously i was wrong because of the whole jail thing.

5-doesn't work for mass market for reasons above and prior. even for the niche non-modding enthusiast group (and we are niche), if they want nice clean looking cables most will go with extensions, far fewer go full custom. there are sets available from corsair and bitfenix amongst others and companies that will make what you desire like cablemodders. of those a small percentage might want what you're offering, but that's case dependant and they'd have to ensure the cables are long enough to allow for enough slack for the mess at the psu end. Modding is fiddly and awkward full stop. Modders will want to see their cables or would make their own.

6-2014, 7 years ago, so no, not new and that's only when you're talking about that specific "form factor" of cable management, a pretty dull and one dimensional view on modding. Cable channels and covers don't have to be milled from acrylic or alu, they can be plumbing pipes in all it's forms and materials, metal channel, tube or sheet bent and/or cut and glued/welded into a cover, custom ones can be 3d printed to ANY shape, colour and size (no not everyone has a 3d printer but as a community people are always willing to help out), what about acrylic cut and glued, maybe filled sanded and painting for a perfect finish, hardwood cut and joined or veneered particle board, you could even run it in acrylic/petg watercooling tubing. And they're just the obvious ones!

Of course all of this is my opinion, we are talking about a theoretical product. No i don't have specific sale figures to regurgitate, but I've been around long enough, built enough, seen enough builds and spent the majority of my life reading/listening/watching the people who do have these figures whittle on about the need to remember that we are the minority. We're a niche of a niche of a niche. Custom builders are still a niche of the PC market, people who care what it looks like niche of that, people willing to spend additional money on superfluous items to get even nicer looks still a niche of that, people willing to wilfully void warranties a niche of that, people willing to take on a proper mod a tiny fraction of those. You don;t need sales figures, just a bit of basic knowledge of the market and some common sense.

In summary:
    for mass market - actual mass market - i do think it might be something people would be interested in, but it has too many caveats and hurdles to be cleared for it to work when you can get clean tidy cabling with a few minutes and some cable ties, or in the case of custom sleeved cables, sticking open ended cable combs to the back of the motherboard tray.

As for modding *cough cough cough*
    [​IMG]
    Oh sorry, don't you hate it when you're mod of the year nominated case mod gets stuck in your throat. :eyebrow:
    This might be a bit of a dick move but I've been pretty cordial up till now (for me anyway) given your demeanour and attitude.

Now where was I. I do think you are out of touch with modding, or have been in it too long and too deep (calm down in the back there) so you see it as a chore rather than a pastime and you think a cheap shortcut is a good thing, even if the effect is fairly easily achieved in many other ways anyway. Modding is a fiddly and awkward affair. It's tough on the mind, hard on the body and can be very unforgiving for even the slightest of errors, but people do it because they love it, or they have a vision of a PC they want to see fulfilled and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it, and I'm sorry but bulky ungainly cable covers isn't it.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but the amount of cases (instances and actual cases) where it would work are just too small.

You're too kind. No really, some of it is pretty shocking and really needs redoing, along with many other things that were a bit haphazard or got left on the drawing board as I was running out of time.

d_stilgar, boiled_elephant and David like this.
  7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

first 15 posts do it along with more depending on links in the posts

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

[​IMG]

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I always thought a case with a mobo tray with integrated cable management would be nice - i.e. you plug all the PSU cables into the tray (probably the back) and the sockets are routed to right next to the connectors on the board, GPUs etc. Could even have rigid, snazzy looking connectors for popular motherboard models.

Not sure why it's not a thing, probably reasons. If not, well there's another idea donated to the world.

You're welcome.

d_stilgar and noizdaemon666 like this.
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I guess the closest is that Seasonic backplane they released last year.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Come back when you've cracked wireless power cables.

Until then all cables will be an eyesore, no matter how much lipstick you put on that pig.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH if it was two THICC cables for 12v and ground, then the motherboards does everything else, that'd work...

Goatee likes this.
  13. liratheal

they might be less of a spaghetti nightmare to look at, but the m.2 stuff has ruined me for having things hanging off the board.

I don't think I can go back to regular drives now.

d_stilgar and Bloody_Pete like this.
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ditto! So we need a new PSU the motherboard clips into...

liratheal likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Honestly it doesn't show, it really doesn't.

Imagine the size of the connectors for all those amps though... But this is basically what ATX12VO plans to do, isn't it? Maybe not with just two cables though! :grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  18. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Why are there so many vocal crazies in this hobby?

Omnislip likes this.
  19. liratheal

Strong fumes and electricity.

MLyons likes this.
  20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

For what it’s worth, I like the idea, though I think it would probably require custom cable lengths. I’ve just installed some 60cm Corsair braided ones because I needed a bit extra length and still could have done with a few inch more (yeah, yeah, that’s what she said).

I can see why the OP gets a bit disheartened though, I’ve had a few MTB related ideas before they became mainstream and couldn’t get anyone to listen to the ideas.

Finally, chill out a bit OP.

@Mister_Tad @Byron C I’m getting towards 18yr, in Aug. I remember joining to ask how to use a laptop screen as a normal 2nd monitor and was laughed at as many before and after me had been.

Those old enough will remember a time when cable tidying wasn’t even a thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 May 2021
    The_Crapman and Byron C like this.