1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Oculus Quest 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 13 Oct 2020.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is anyone using their wifi dongle as a mobile hotspot, and using airlink that way (instead of via the router). I've tried Alyx and it works but I do get hitches.

2. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Just got mine at the weekend and sold my CV1 seems great so far!

3. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Did you get much for your CV1? Was it a clear improvement for you on all fronts? Cheers!

4. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

My CV1 was boxed in excellent condition I sold it locally for £100 bit of a blow after paying £400 for it but that's all I thought it was worth really when a Rift S's sell for under £200.

It's not an improvement in comfort or sound I also prefer the CV1 controllers but otherwise it seems like an upgrade. The only reason I wanted to change from the CV1 is I've recently moved house and don't really have a convenient place for the sensors anymore.

Omnislip likes this.
  5. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Has anyone had issues getting their headset recognised in Steam?

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

How are your Quest 2 connecting to PC?

Link? Air link? Virtual Desktop? ALVR?

7. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Only tried with the link cable so far

8. wyx087

For Link and Airlink, from Oculus Dashboard within VR, launch SteamVR using the virtual desktop display should launch you into the SteamVR environment.

Just tried with headset sitting on the desk, link cable attached, Oculus software open and then launch SteamVR. It still recognises the headset.
    Actually, on launching SteamVR, it auto opens Oculus software anyway.

So no problem here with v28 Oculus software and latest Steam.

9. Parge

I have a modem provided to me by my ISP. I bought an additional Huawei AX3 3000mpbs router (wifi 6), which is connected to the modem via ethernet to provide better quality air link.

In terms of setup, is it best to have the Quest 2 and the computer both connected to my Huawei router via Wifi6? (everything else in the house runs off the wifi provided by my ISP modem).

The position of my router makes it impossible to connect my computer to my Huawei or ISP modem via Ethernet.

10. wyx087

I've tried the cheap Huawei AX3 dual-core a few weeks ago due to it being on offer. It was not great, there were regular jitters when trying to play within LoS of the router. That was with the Quest as lone wifi client to AX3 and it was set in AP mode wired to main router and another wire to PC. The jitter was regular and makes it unplayable. I hope you have better luck with it.

You really need to have PC wired to your wifi access point. Is it possible to directly connect AX3 to your PC? Then PC wifi is shared to its ethernet port to enable internet access for the Quest.

11. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Should I need virtual desktop to play wired? Thought air link meant it's no longer needed wirelessly either?
    I don't mind buying it If need it but obviously don't want to if I don't.

What headphones are people using with the quest? Audio is a big step in the wrong direction compared to my cv1

12. Parge

So, I've wired it via ethernet to my computer, and enabled internet connection sharing. I can connect the Quest just fine to the Huawei BUT I can't find my computer via air link. Is this because my computer is getting its connection from the ISP modem and my rift from the Huawei and therefore they are on different networks?

13. wyx087

Sorry, bad choice of word on Oculus part. In the Oculus Dash in VR, there is an icon called "virtual desktop", I launched my SteamVR via the desktop from there.

Of course, buying Virtual Desktop the Quest app may also be helpful. I've found it to give slightly different colours and tiny bit better performance in SteamVR (compared to Oculus VR mode with (air)link, you skip the Oculus software stack). It also gives you a LOT more options to tinker should you feel the need.

Hum.... that should have worked from what I've read on the interweb. Probably a silly question, did you enable Airlink on the PC program? It goes back to disabled after every restart.

Alternatively, you can connect AX3 2.4GHz band as backhaul to your main router. Essentially it acts as wifi repeater, providing your PC (via ethernet) and Quest (via 5Ghz) the same internet. But with my experience of the Huawei AX3 firmware..... this may be asking too much. I know DD-WRT and Asuswrt-merlin can both do this.

14. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I'm planning on getting one of these (oculus quest 2) and the elite strap in about 3 months (saving cash first) but I've been hearing about games lagging over time if you get anything other than the 256gb version can any one confirm or deny this for me please.

15. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I can confirm there is zero issues during long period gaming on the larger version, but cannot confirm if this is the case with the smaller storage SKU.

When I say long periods, I’m talking up to 90 mins at the very most as you really do need breaks from VR and over an hour is very uncommon unless you’re sat still watching a movie in the headset.

16. wyx087

I've been playing on Quest 1 with slower CPU and just 64GB of storage for 1.5 years now. No problem with lagging over long play session or long ownership time. I've never reset the headset software, still as I configured from day one.