1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Big box from Ubiquiti this morning, and graciously no demands of additional fees/taxes

[​IMG]

Mixed feelings... on one hand, yay box full of tech, on the other hand urgh the many hours needed to install it all.

Did you get it new or refurb?

I damaged one of my armpads, and replaced it with a third party pad that looked the same, but wasn't anything near the same quality. It was comparably very squishy and started to split in no time. Replaced it with a genuine part and no such issues, and the other original pad is still as-new despite being in daily use for... maybe 6 years? Could've been if you got it refurbished or similar they used the same pads.

Doesn't really matter now clearly if you don't still have the chair of course.

Bazz, Yaka and IanW like this.
  2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Ngl I really don't like the Aeron, really wishing I'd done the proper thing and tried them out properly in a showroom first. That said, was bought during the first lockdown last year so sod all I could really do about it on that front.

In related news though, ordered a new sofa! 12 week lead time is a bit rough but hopefully it'll be done before Italy shuts down for their August break.
    Sofa.jpg

Pretty much that one but swap out the corner table for another cushion section. The backs can be repositioned forwards for easier conversation or way back for being lazy and watching tv/snoozing.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Out of curiosity, what do you dislike about the Aeron? I used to sit in one daily at work roughly 10 years ago and I have yet to find anything that comes close.

4. Mister_Tad

Same here, different strokes. For getting work done, I can't find a position and adjustment on them where I'm comfortable and fully supported and at rest.

I also much prefer the mobility and and compactness of the Sayl over the Aeron, and a great number of other chairs out there. I.e. can move around, not knock the desk with the armrests, my shoulders are free etc.

I likely would have bought an Aeron untested on account of the general fanfare surrounding them had I not found myself using one for an extended period of time for work some years back.

I do find them good for lounging or relaxing, and would probably find the same for gaming. Just not for srs bsns.

perplekks45 likes this.
  5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

You? Srs bsns? I very much doubt it sir.

Mister_Tad likes this.
  6. Mister_Tad

Fair. My living is largely made telling people my thoughts, musings, opinions and ideas. So my srs bsns probably isn't all that srs.

Joke's on saps like you for doing proper work though.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

'Proper work' you say, I heard about that when I was younger, and vowed never to have any dealings with it. Current work seems to be OK that way :winking:
    As the late great Terry Pratchett said of taking a publicity job with nuclear power stations for the CEGB (IIRC) "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting, so I took it"

IanW likes this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I got it second hand but it was mint. Locally, a guy in Chichester. The pads were soft, but over time where you press on them they would fold over the metal inside and eventually chunks started coming off.

I ended up giving it away to some guy on OCUK. By that time I was having trouble getting back into it, as it was a size A and very narrow.

9. Mister_Tad

Double toy delivery day

A totally normal UPS

[​IMG]

APC Back-UPS for scale.

10. veato

veato I should be working

Xbox Series X. Finally! And no scalpers or tat added on to raise the price (Game, I'm looking at you).

IanW, Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  11. perplekks45

If you were on the Discord around launch you could've had that way earlier. I had a spare Series X and S each, was selling for MSRP.

IanW and Yaka like this.
  12. Maki role

I find it really uncomfortable for long sessions, it has adjustability but you don’t really get to move things around properly to how you want. It’s a chair where you have to sit in it in only the single way that the makers intended. The mesh is nice in the summer and the build quality is great, but it just doesn’t work for me.

13. perplekks45

Sounds very reasonable, maybe I'm just lucky and "built for Aeron™".

14. Maki role

I think a lot of people are, I'm keen to try out an Embody to see if that would suit me better. It seems a lot of people who don't get on with the Aeron do well with that one or vice versa.

perplekks45 likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If anyone's still feeling "Herman Miller-ish", they have a Spring sale going on, offering 15% discount & free shipping right now.

EDIT:

Paid for a Hotel room and a "Participant" ticket for an electric car show at Beaulieu Motor Museum on May 23rd. (Both with cancellation protection obvs!)
    It's the middle leg of a long road trip I'm planning that starts here in N Wales, goes to the Gridserve hub in Essex for a Renault Zoe owner's club meetup, then the above & home via Bristol.

Last edited: 13 May 2021
  16. perplekks45

[​IMG]

Supply of frozen food from the Netherlands. Quality is amazing and it's so much easier than getting that stuff in Germany. Go figure.

LennyRhys likes this.
  17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Passport renewal. £75-chuffin-50p. Ridiculous.

Not even sure if it'll go through first go-round, 'cos the online application thing rated my photo as "fair" and complained about my glasses. I always wear glasses, and all my previous passports have a photo of me wearing glasses. There's no reflection in the glass and you can see my eyes fine.

Fingers crossed, I guess. Could be ten weeks before I find out(!)

perplekks45 and LennyRhys like this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Beaulieu Motor Museum is brilliant, used to go there as a kid! And welcome to Bristol, the students are plague demons :p

IanW likes this.
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This road trip will fill several objectives for me.
    As well as the stated stops for the owner's club meet & Beaulieu, I'll have to pass a friend's place near Cambridge, giving me a benchmark for when I go visit again.
    The Bristol to home leg is a trial run for the route to/from my other friends' 20th (+1 because plague) anniversary re-enactment of their wedding reception in the original venue.

Last edited: 14 May 2021
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I had to get my passport renewed for our mortgage application, and it took less than a week from ordering to delivery. I considered going for the fast-track option, but took my chances with the regular order and it paid off. But yeah... seventy-five friggin squids.