1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

pics. pics. PICS!

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

No pics, it never really took place.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Pay for my premium sub for only £12/month and you can have all the pics of my massive rack and double woofers that you want.

EDIT: TBH though there's still a lot of work to go... I unracked everything that was temporarily/haphazardly flung in and arranged the gear how I want it

... But:

- I still need to make a stack of C19/C13 cables to make better use of the PDU
    - I need various cables of a proper length
    - The cable management for ethernet, and since I'm a saddo probably colour matched cables whilst I'm at it
    - The cable management tray taking them into the loft/floor
    - Mounting the ventilation control panel for the extractor, and the temp probe somewhere sensible
    - I need a transfer vent in the door that looks semi-decent
    - And then the small matter of the floor and walls

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 May 2021
    Vault-Tec, liratheal and Yaka like this.
  4. liratheal

Nice. Nice.

I've always wondered how the 'console in separate room' holds up with controller connections. I guess better with bluetooth being the most common connection method these days?

5. Mister_Tad

With the PS4 there were occasional quirks - mainly a slight lag in response for a second or two, and then back fine again. This never happened with any great frequency, not enough to do anything about it anyway.

This only came after applying ample sound insulation to the cupboard too - a problem that I won't have here because nothing in this cupboard makes anything more than a whisper.

With the PS5 so far, have had no issues with responsiveness or even the voice chat through the controller.

What may turn out to be an issue is PSVR. The camera is a proprietary connection, however for the PS5 I have the PSVR to USB cable, so I can theoretically extend it, but I'm not sure how it will like the ~15m run.

And then there's the tethered headset to a console way at the back of the room to contend with as well.

Now thinking on it, there's no reason that the camera has to be on top of the TV... I'll mull.

6. liratheal

Hm, that's not as bad as I expected. I'd also be curious about power degradation over 15m in usb - But I do know there are 15m cables, so.. Maybe it's not enough to give anyone a headache

7. Mister_Tad

There are 15M standard HDMI cables as well, doesn't mean they work :/

8. jinq-sea

15m with repeaters are alright, in my experience.

9. liratheal

True - But if I'm not much mistaken, didn't you recently have some luck with a rather long HDMI cable? Or did I miss a follow up post in the 'ruining' thread? :p

10. Mister_Tad

After initially declaring success, I had intermittent picture drops, and occasional loss of HDR with my garden variety 15M HDMI cable.
    A not-so-garden-variety optical cable is now in its place, which works a treat, but then it should do for the cost of it.

11. liratheal

Ah. Unfortunate!

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

psvr with and active usb cable is working fine for us on ps5

Mister_Tad likes this.
  13. jinq-sea

I missed the crucial three letters 'U' 'S' and 'B' in here.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

So apparently I'm starting a Hi-Fi collection by accident.

I picked this up a while back - I had the MZ-N710 back in the day, and to this day I still think that MiniDisc was an underrated format.

[​IMG]

It's only recently that I picked up some discs and started to transfer stuff to it. Took me a while, but eventually I found some modern software to manage NetMDs. The first couple of attempts didn't go so well - there are dropouts in the audio. Now I don't know whether that was due to: a glitch in the software, dodgy MiniDiscs, or a slightly duff NetMD unit. I can play back a pre-recorded MiniDisc just fine - I recently rescued my copy of Korn - Issues, the only pre-recorded disc I ever bought!

[​IMG]

That got me thinking about recording from CD to MiniDisc. See, back in the day when we all still had hi-fi separates you'd use the optical SPDIF output of your CD player and record to your MiniDisc from that. Part of the SPDIF spec is track markers: not only do you get a perfect digital copy with none of that analogue faff, you also get track markers added automatically. You can't really do that from a PC - I can record from an optical output sure, but it doesn't add track markers automatically.

I was thinking about this during a visit to the lavatory (some of my best, and worst, ideas come from such moments) and started idly flicking through eBay to find a hi-fi CD player. Idly browsing through eBay is a dangerous game for me because before I knew it I'd bought a CD player. Sony because... well... the NetMD is a Sony... (not my photo because it hasn't arrived yet)

[​IMG]

And then I decided that I should really get an amp to match... and started idly browsing through eBay again. This turned up today. I wanted a Sony amp to match the Sony CD player and the Sony NetMD but everyone else also seems to want Sony, and there's only so much extra I'm willing to pay in order to satisfy my idle whims.

[​IMG]

Don't tell anyone else I said this, but I'm also watching some eBay listings for MiniDisc separates... :worried: Of course they'd have to be Sony to match the Sony CD player and Sony NetMD... Such as the MDS-JE330 (also not my photo, but I am watching this listing!):

[​IMG]

I haven't bought a MiniDisc separate unit yet, but boy... the temptation is strong...

The same seller I got the CD player from was also listing an SCPH-1002 model Playstation. This is apparently the one that everyone calls the 'audiophile' model because it has phono audio outputs and apparently it makes a really excellent CD player...? Eh, I dunno. It went for just under £9 (excl. shipping) and I already have a Playstation that needs some replacement parts... If nothing else it'll make for a cheap donor machine! :grin:

[​IMG]

I already have a pair of Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf speakers that I can use. They're not the most amazing quality, but I'm not going for audiophile-grade stuff here - with a decent amp they sound good enough to my ears, so they'll do for now... Although... The Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers have a reputation for being great quality budget speakers... They're not that much money... :naughty:

No! "New" speakers will have to wait! Between all this hi-fi gear and the piles of money I've thrown at computers this year, I think I've had enough "treat yo self" moments!

Mister_Tad likes this.
  15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice MD stuff Byron.
    I have a Sony full size MD recorder/player that I need to find a new home for and there are a few unopened discs with it.
    LMK if interested as I could deliver it Sun 1st of Aug when I deliver "the boy's" house contents.

16. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Argh I wish I'd known you wanted a CD player. I have a pretty high end Sony you could have had. Was going to use it but it didn't match my Tag stuff.

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i used to have that same model of portable md player. it was vastly under rated format if only sony priced it better.

as for the ps1 cant remeber 100% but things went crazy after tnt audio did an article on it back in the day ebay prices went up not crazy like but it was still higher than normal prices

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That would be absolutely ace! People are charging a fair premium for these things now, everything I'm seeing on eBay is at least £60 and up (by the time you account for postage).

TBH I didn't even know that I wanted a CD player until I was looking at "Ending Soon" auctions on eBay! :grin:

It was a great system back in the day, especially the NetMD units. Unless you had something really expensive like an early iPod or the Creative DAP you tended to get really limited storage space on digital music players. If you wanted decent quality then it was even worse. With the MiniDisc, I could just stick a dozen discs into a carry case and toss the whole lot into my bag. The quality was - and still is - almost indistinguishable from a CD to most ears. It doesn't really stack up against lossless audio, aptX bluetooth, etc, these days, but it's still an incredibly impressive achievement given the raw storage space available on a MiniDisc.

Sadly they were indeed priced out of reach for the majority of people. Until cheap high-capacity MP3 players came along, it was far cheaper to get a portable CD player. Not just the expense, but the inconvenience too: you had to re-record or transcode your music to another format. Fine for nerds like me with a burgeoning collection of high bitrate MP3s and friends who are into the same music, but we'll beyond most people.

Had my first portable MD recorder back in the late 90s, I didn't get the NetMD until the early 2000s. Those early generations really were a faff. Nobody I knew had a 'proper' CD player so we mostly used analogue recordings. Until one of my friends figured out a hack: tape a red LED around the end of an optical cable and hook it up to the 'Digital Audio' output of your CDROM drive. That 'Digital Audio' output is a raw SPDIF output: when you used the CDROM drive as a CD player you now also had a digital optical output that you could use to record to MiniDisc. Because it was SPDIF it also included automatic track markers - perfect digital copy and no more fiddling about with splitting up a big ~70 minute track!

19. Mister_Tad

An important addition to the home cinema arrived this morning

[​IMG]

Not a moment too soon, as I'm getting too old for bean bags.

So next for the room is stripping it down - removal of carpet, skirting, wallpaper etc. Which may seem backwards because you're supposed to do all these things before you put furniture in there, but this will still be a functioning room whilst I take my time over the work myself, so wanted somewhere to sit that wasn't a beanbag on floorboards before continuing and it's easy enough to throw a sheet over the sofa/speakers/telly for messy work.

The only thing that would have really been a pain with the sofa there was the ceiling speakers, but fortunately I managed to get those in a couple weekends ago.

20. liratheal

Pre-small-human picture I had very little sense of scale for that centre speaker. Jesus christ that thing is massive.