1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Did you buy your ledger direct or from somewhere like amazon?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Direct, so I could have some guarantee it hadn't been tampered with.

And then Ledger's customer database got hacked, so now I get a bunch of crypto-themed phishing spam. <sigh>

Goatee likes this.
  3. el2k

el2k Modder

It's almost impossible to know right now, as when people jump over.. that coin will be inflated by the miners and the price will hike and there's so many factors.

But ETC and RVN are definitely options, we'll see, ETH might still be the most profitable to mine for the rest of the year even with 1559, if they even manage to get that sorted on time...

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Speaking at least for myself...

I'm not pissed off at people who use the unused capacity they've already got to make a few quid on the side. I don't mind people who set out with the intention of getting a really top-end GPU and recoup their investment - and more - with mining. That's fine... I'd be doing it myself if I had anything better than a 1060.

What pisses me off is the people building racks of mutli-GPU machines for mining. The people using bot nets to purchase available stock in seconds. The sheer unabated greed of all the scalping and price-gouging going on. Several-year old graphics cards selling for more now than when they were released. EDIT: Not to mention the energy that mining consumes and the consequental environmental impact.

I'd be quite happy to pay a decent chunk of cash for a 3090 right now, probably anywhere in the region of £1400-£1700. I've got a lot of bonuses coming in this month, so much that even I think it's pretty obscene, and even after being sensible and paying off a massive whack on debts I'll still have money to burn. I wouldn't even be bothered about mining to offset some of the cost of the card (although, as already pointed out, if I had that kind of capacity I would be a fool not to). But I literally couldn't buy a 3090 now even if I wanted to. By the time I jump on a stock alert some prick with a ****ing bot net has already snapped it up, and on the odd occasion I find something still in stock it's usually because the greedy shits have jacked up the price to over £3000 or something equally rapacious (I might have money to burn but I'm not stupid).

I mean... I don't want a 3090, it would literally be a waste of resources; I'd probably struggle to make a 3080 break a sweat to be honest.

FWIW, people using GPUs for mining is only one contributing factor in GPU availability, AFAIK... There's a confluence of stuff going on here: stimulus cheques or furlough payments to people who haven't been able to work and are bored, demand from "gamers" because Nvidia actually released a pretty impressive product, massive silicon shortages, supply chain issues, factory issues/shutdowns, reduced staff headcount because of COVID-19, and self-important tosspots like Elon ****ing Musk, TechnoPrick of Tesla, manipulating the crypto markets to jack up prices to the point where mining is actually profitable again.

I don't know, maybe these new LHR Nvidia variants might actually start making a difference in availability. Although I doubt that, it'll probably be just another SKU that no one wants like the CMP HX cards.

Isitari and bawjaws like this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm leaning towards a Trezor, after a fleeting google. Need to read more though.

Words to live by.

6. el2k

el2k Modder

I agree with many points here, for what it's worth I haven't managed to get my hands on a new gpu for maybe the last 2 months? I got all mine, earlier release, through part alerts..

It would seem the botting etc has gone up tenfold in recent times, whereas you said, nothing is even in stock on alert...already gone.

Byron C likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

And the bay of flea prices for the good stuff (6900XT / 3090) have climbed even higher despite the recent drop in mining profits....

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Has the difficulty of mining Eth shot up suddenly or am I imagining it. Seems, for the same hashrate, that it's taking for ever to reach 0.1 eth.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Not sure what's changed (maybe just my perception) but it definetly feels like its taking longer than for my first 0.1 back in April

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

What's everyone mining these days? I'm almost at paying off my 3090, so thinking of trying something new...

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just leaving mine running Nicehash quickminer for now. It's producing about £50-£55 per week at the moment, minus a few quid for the increased electricity cost. I'll see what happens at the year end - I assume NH will just switch to a different coin - and, if it's still profitable, I'll leave it running. I only game on the 3090 when I fancy a blast on Metro Exodus or Cyberpunk. WoWS and indie games reside on the NUC.

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

My 3070 is running NiceHash's quick miner as well. It's just so easy to use that it's worth sticking with, even if they do take a cut.

I stopped mining for about 3 weeks recently as it managed to hose my copy of Windows, but back on it again now as it remains profitable

14. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've just been reading up on a new Pasta based Cryptocurrency. Invest now as it will be worth a pretty penne in years to come.

oasked, Byron C, BeauchN and 2 others like this.
  15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Badoom tish... /dadjoke

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Now you’re just being fusilli

Byron C, Goatee and Arboreal like this.
  17. el2k

el2k Modder

Still on ETH, with the big price increase recently due to a lot of it getting burnt its still quite profitable.

When ETH 2.0 hits, Ergo, Raven, Conflux could all be the next thing to mine on a GPU. Can't ever say for certain, far too many variables.

MLyons likes this.
  18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Any alternatives to NiceHash?
    NiceHash withdraw to Coinbase will start to cost transfer fee from next week.

Looking for easy to get going, quick to start-up (I have a helper program to start/stop it according to solar production) and free to pay out. Most importantly, it takes care of choosing the most profitable mining method, I just have to sign up an account.

19. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

20. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

You could use t-rex with a mining pool like nanopool. However the payout minimum from nanopool is 0.1 eth and both t-rex and nanopool take a small cut (but probbaly equivalent to nicehash's cut). I got the impression the withdrawl fee from nicehash to coinbase was going to be small enough to be mostly negligible ($0.25) but I didn't fully read the notice.

wyx087 likes this.