1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus advice Win32/Uwasson.A!ml

Discussion in 'Software' started by BA_13, 20 May 2021.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Good afternoon

So last night a French friend asked me to have a look at an English email giving instructions on how to install some software for a car diagnostic dongle.

I went over and had a look and the advice which is given in the email is to remove any 3rd party anti-virus and disable windows defender in the registry. This rang a few alarm bells for me and after re-enabling windows defender (my friend had disabled defender in the control panel) it starts to throw alarms up for the Win32/Uwasson.A!ml virus, obviously defender has now dealt with this threat but I'm wondering if there is anything else I need to do to remove all traces of this issue from his system (He's an older gentleman who isn't particularly computer literate and had allowed the software to run as admin as per the supplied instructions).

Just for information it appears the virus was included in the activation email sent after attempting to activate the software and not on the software disc itself (I'm not going to comment on the dubious nature of the software and I have my suspicions about the hardware too to be honest). Anyway I'll head back over either tonight or tomorrow and use my Bluetooth OBD dongle and Carista to see if I can remove the need for the suspect hardware / software combination.

Thanks for reading and any advice appreciated.

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

My personal thing to do would be to reinstall windows on the machine, obviously copying his data & ensuring you have all the required apps for the person.

3. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Thanks, I'll have to discuss that option and see how he feels about it...