1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Need to rename a whole series of audio files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goatee, 25 May 2021.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I hope one of you can point me in the right direction to fix a problem of my own making?

Problem statement:

I have been ripping audio books for my son from CD's onto my NAS, these are then put ion a mp3 player that plays overnight for him (he has some sleeping issues and stories overnight are a comfort to him).

Unfortunately, I am an idiot and the naming convention I used has a couple of different naming structures depending on which PC I used to rip the CD's. This means that the audio stories are not played sequentially as the audio file naming convention typically starts with the track number.

Question: How can I rename the files on-bulk / using some software to get them into a better naming convention so they play sequentially on the MP3 player...

Any ideas? I don't fancy doing it manually over thousands of audio files....

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Are the tracks in separate folders? So one audiobook per folder?

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Thank you, will look at them.

Separate folders, typically one CD rips to a single sub folder, under a main folder based on author.

Artist ==> CD ==> Tracks

5. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

I used to use something called Tag&Rename which was really good for batch changing tags or filenames. It looks to have unspecified limitations for the free version though so you might be better served elsewhere (if you can't locate a key).

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

MadGinga likes this.
  7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I know I'm late to the party, but I'd like to throw this out there: Flashrenamer Used quite a bit over the years. Lots of features, but I have mostly used the find and replace, case change, and CVS replacement features.