1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I know CCL went mental with prices like that. Oc3d have an article on it

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I had planned to F5 the launch this evening, but then got invited for cocktails and jazz. I probably came off best :cooldude:

The_Crapman, wolfticket and Byron C like this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Cocktails and jazz... and there wasn't a more appealing option available, like staying home and pulling your own teeth?

Osgeld and BeauchN like this.
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Pulling your own teeth is seriously over-rated IMHO

BeauchN likes this.
  5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I was kinda hoping to pick up a Founder's 3080Ti yesterday. I periodically checked the store page from time to time, but they sold out between views. I imagine it was a case of:

[​IMG]

Ah well, it would've been a frivolous purchase anyway - my 2016/17 era cards are still more than adequate for my needs. Bit crazy to think that my main PC is coming up to 5 years old without any upgrades at all - longest I've gone by at least a factor of two.

monty-pup likes this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I got an alert from a stock bot on twitter ( @PartAlert ) around 75 mins after the 3080Ti frenzy.

UPDATE: Now have second "Payment authorized" email from Scan, so IT'S HAPPENING!

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Urg, but I don't want to have to open a twitter account :p

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'd resigned myself to the fact that it'll be a while before I get my hands on a 3000-series card. But this morning I happened to be using my phone when PartAlert discord alerted me that Founders Edition cards have dropped on Scan. FE versions, meaning no hyper-inflated scalper prices...

So I clicked the link... 3080 FE was reported in stock... I could add to cart... One frantic moment of shuffling money around accounts and I was able to complete check out.

Oh yes I completed checkout. I completed checkout THREE TIMES, in fact. I checked-out three times and three times Scan declined the order because apparently my billing address didn't match the shipping address. [Edit: for clarity, I wasn't even trying to have it sent to a different address. If that was the case then I'd at least understand why they told me to f' off]

My address has not changed in 6 years, and I even used their own god damn lookup service to enter my shipping address. I have had many orders with Scan to this address and some of those have been more than the value of the 3080 I was trying to buy. The billing address with my bank is correct and has been for 6 years.

I am absolutely livid with Scan, I have spent literally thousands with them over the years.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2021
  10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I couldn't buy anything from Scan if I wanted to, never get past the cloudflare stuff these days it just seems to hang.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

All my own personal devices seem to be fine, but the Cloudflare anti-DDoS stuff tells me to GTFO when I'm using my work laptop.

12. David

Yeah, missed out on the 3080 FE drop this morning. Just a fraction too slow again. But I fully expect scan to reject the order any way.

The only reason I haven't sold my NCase M1 yet is because I keep hoping to grab a 3080 to fit in it.

13. David

Re: the captcha/cloudflare issues, it happens half the time when I'm using a VPN.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Reminder - Scan are just fronting for Nvidia.
    It's probably Nvidia who insist they only shipping to the billing address.
    It's also probably why they accept bitcoin but not paypal for FE cards.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's the dumbest thing about that ordeal this morning: my billing and shipping addresses ARE the same, I wasn't even trying to have it sent somewhere else.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Oh! I see now!

I wonder if it was something as simple as the billing system having your address entered slightly differently?
    ie - not recognising that "Rd" & "Road" are the same thing, or "St" & "Street", or "Ave" & "Avenue".

Byron C likes this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It's absolutely got to be something like that, but buggered if they're going to tell me what's wrong.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Seems it is the same for me, works on personal laptop but not on my work machine or my s10, strangely overclockers works fine and they use cloudflare which led me to think Scan was down at first but it was happening a lot.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I see exactly the same behaviour with Overclockers as well - I can access that from my work laptop no problem, but not Scan.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Scan seems to use two systems though:

1: The basic Cloudflare protection (same as Overclockers uses)
    2: The glitchfest pick pictures multiple times (same as the EA launcher uses whenever you inevitably get locked out of your account and try to get back in) whenever there are GPUs available to order

The first one has never given me trouble, the second one however is pretty hit or miss for getting through (and taking more than one attempt means missing out on stock).