1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You don't even wanna know where I've got to plug my USB cable in...

Pete J likes this.
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Finally, a bank holiday wouldn’t be complete without at least one person not engaging their brain and causing chaos. This time it was the turn of a man from the Midlands whose family car was washed into the sea near St Agnes after he became stuck on a steep slipway while attempting a three-point turn.

The 26-year-old said the incident happened over night when he and his friend became lost, according to The Guardian.

“The back tyres fell over the edge of the slipway,” he said. “I tried calling 999 but we had no signal so we slept in the car for four or five hours with the wheels over the edge. Then my friend said: ‘I’ve got a bad feeling, let’s get out of this car.’ We got out, went for a walk up the hill to get signal and by the time we got back the car was swimming.”

Salvage experts recovered the vehicle, worth more than £25,000.

3. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Fail to see the required GCHQ and NSA connections ...

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

6. VipersGratitude

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Apparently Logan Paul is getting into a boxing match with Floyd Mayweather tonight.

Is that even legal? I mean, I don't like either of the Paul brothers, but putting one of them in the ring with Floyd Freakin' Mayweather just seem absurdly and pointlessly cruel. Like locking a child in a room with a starving pitbull.

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Meh, I'm good with it... :hehe:

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

No problem with the Mayweather thing either.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. fix-the-spade

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The_Crapman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  12. VipersGratitude

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Map of the Internet 2021
    Click here for more info & 20Mb high-res version

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I love these.

There are a number of red lines in my career, which I'd rather just give the whole thing up and go back to a Real Job than cross. Writing a "how this seven-year-old bought a £5m mansion" story where, buried somewhere below the fold, the answer is either "they didn't, their investment banker parents did" or "their billionaire grandparents carked it and left them all their money" is one of 'em.

The other's writing for The Sun, The Daily Mail, or anything of that ilk. No thanks, I've heard McDonald's is hiring and I bet I can write a killer application form...

14. VipersGratitude

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

16. VipersGratitude

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

18. fix-the-spade

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

"The family were told it was possible that a titanium plate in Isobel's arm following a cycling accident last year might have been what led to the lightning surging through their bodies."

Doesn't really work like that. Just because there is metal in or on a building, or even if the building is metallic, it doesn't mean that it is more likely to be struck. The chances of something being struck depend mainly on its location (strike density for the area), it's dimensions (larger/taller structures have a larger "collection area" for lightning activity, and the surrounding structures (surrounded by taller or smaller, isolated, and so on).

When it comes to buildings, being a metallic building is an advantage as it is a naturally conductive system with a great deal of equipotential bonding and parallel conduction routes for the current to be split over resulting ins a low impedance to earth and lower voltage rise on the system as a result. The reason that metallic lightning protection systems get struck, seemingly in preference, to the surrounding structural parts is that system designers place them at those points of the building that are most likely to be struck anyway, such as edges and corners (areas of highest charge buildup).

From the image of the strike it does look like they were very near to or under a tree which is never a good idea due to the way that the charge dissipates through the ground if the tree gets struck. It'd be interesting to confirm whether they were directly struck or whether they were hurt through step and touch potentials as a result of a strike to the tree or nearby to them. They have Lichtenburg Figures showing on them which is normally indicative of a direct strike, but could also be the case if they were touching the tree and a current flowed through them to the earth (touch potential).

Still muppets who obviously didn't listen to the most basic advice about lightning though...