1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

boiled_elephant likes this.
  2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I don't understand how the National Data Opt Out is not automatically applied to everyone:

Suggests if you don't opt out they will blithely share your personal, identifiable data with organisations to be used for reasons you've not expressly agreed to.

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

I'm guessing that guidance is to prevent a mad rush at the end of the month. Further below, in the guidance to GPs, it says "You will need to register Type 1 Opt-outs (or a withdrawal of the Type 1 Opt-out) in your system before the 30 June 2021. "

5. oscy

oscy Modder

I am now a member of the Pfizer Master Race.

I had an appointment for 20 miles of a train and a bus away, then 2 days before got a text saying I could get one down the road the next day. Worked out nice.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Letter from the Council saying they're after PCR testing everyone in my area due to a concerning spike in Delta variant. Lovely.

Unsurprising, though - there's plenty of people here in Bradford with family in India and surrounding nations. Fingers crossed a broad test regime and isolation knocks it on the head.

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Got to say, with all this happening, my wife and I feel very lucky to be living where we are in rural Somerset. Cases per 100,000 peeps, are still in single figures here.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

"Irreversible"
    Of course it's not going to be irreversible, and nor should it be. That would be an insane position to take. As has been shown repeatedly circumstances have the potential to change and in the face of new circumstances if they occur things can, have, should and would revert. As well the government/Johnson knows. It's a blatant lie.

Just a current minor bugbear of mine in the pantheon of them.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That lie has some rather convenient timing, can't have the legal action against his corruption front and centre now can we...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rage-for-billionaire-tory-donor-peter-cruddas

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If he never lifts the restrictions he won't have to reverse them...

... On that cheery note daily infection rates have tripled in the last 30 days. We're already gearing up for another massed wave of infections and lockdown, trying to get at least somewhat ahead of the snowball before local hospitals start telling us to restrict services and handle their outpatients again. I'd like to be proven wrong, but y'know, the last 18 months and all.

Have a lovely summer everybody :D

11. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Two of his ministers have acted unlawfully in recent memory, and so has he when he prorogued Parliament and lied to the Queen, not to mention the CCJ against him, so what's one more legal wrangle to add to the pile?

12. walle

walle Minimodder

I'm glad to hear that your mom, if not entirely out of woods yet, is in a clearing.

Hope you get her home soon.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

All tanked up with Johnson & Johnson's Janssen now.

Mostly wondering why they went for the triple threat of J names for their vaccine..

I guess side effects tonight.

Edit: Well. Not as bad as expected. Joint aching from about 4pm, crappy night's sleep with weird temperature fluctuations verging on a fever but without the cold part.

General tiredness and whiffs of a headache, although that all seems to be clearing up with powering down water.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2021
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Had my second Pfizer, feeling fine. However, a guy sat across the aisle from me in the post-injection waiting area keeled over, bounced his melon off the floor. While they were sorting him out, someone who was just about to leave started feeling faint too and had to be laid down in the entrance - they ended up having to call an ambulance for one or both of 'em.

Anecdotally, the mother-in-law volunteers at a vaccination centre and says she's noticed a marked uptick in people fainting since they opened it to 18-plus in her area - it always seems to be the young 'uns. Not sure what's going on there (if anything).

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

From what others have told me, the heat isn't helping at all. That and if you are they type to "come over all queer", they don't have adequate facilities for you so it's melon off floor time.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

First jab down (Pfizer), bit of a general ache in the arm so far but hopefully holds off long enough so I can lift tonight and then I'll see how I'm feeling in the morning!

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

18. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Had a friend who fainted after his jab, but that's almost certainly because he's super squeamish about injections. After mine I felt fine but you do start wondering if that mild tingle is the start of a reaction or not despite never being allergic to anything in my life (yay paranoia!)

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Two people fainted when a friend of mine was getting theirs, too. I'm trying to stay rational about it: the reality is, there are hundreds of people per day getting an injection right now who would, in the normal run of things, never have an injection and may have not had one since infancy. So we could just be seeing that x% of the gen pop faint from anxiety and low blood pressure when getting their first jab in years in the summer heat.

I'm sure the anti-vaxxers are having an absolute field day with it. But I have to remind myself that hundreds of thousands of people have died of covid, and you can't die of fainting (unless you're a doofus and decide to try standing/walking/running/driving instead of sitting down and taking 5 at the first signs of light-headedness).

edit - oh, of course we also have to consider the mass hysteria thing, which is a real thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_psychogenic_illness

It'd be interesting (if impractical) to cubicle everyone off and see if the fainting rates reduce. Seeing someone itch makes you itch. Seeing someone cough makes you cough. And so on.

20. Gareth Halfacree

I think I might have confused the NHS App by rescheduling my second jab.

It correctly lists the date of my first, and says "Dose 1."

It then shows the date of my second, and says... "Dose 1."

Still, it also says I'm vaccinated, so whatevs. Good enough.