1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 11 Pro leaks, Build 21996.1 ISO being shared online

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Jun 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Ahh UI updates, the epitome of change for changes sake. Unless it makes it...
    a) simpler to use or
    b) adds functionality

Its just a good way to frustrate users who have years (and years) of muscle memory built up.

I'm normally an early(ish) adopter of the latest software versions but I hope there is more to it than just 'modernising' the desktop.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Centred start button, still full width taskbar.

Lol.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Very lol! Moving the start button and quick launch along to the middle will make such a big difference..... Not!

5. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Now I have an urge to install windows 1 and upgrade it to w11.

As long as M$ leaves the option to undo all the GUI "improvements" they can experiment away, otherwise it will be W8 all over again.

jb0 likes this.
  6. xalek

xalek What's a Dremel?

I can see the return of rounded edges. Did someone tell them that windows 7 was back?

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Does this mean all of us who updated to Windows 10 for free will now have to pay for the next upgrade when support for 10 ends?

Will MS sneak in the subscription option on this version?

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Of all the things that are missing (like tabs for Explorer) that might be useful... Microsoft decides that crushing up the Taskbar into the centre by default is the thing they most want to make a fuss about.

Deckchairs, movement and Titanic immediately springs to mind.

10. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

For those of us with multimonitor setups or ultra widescreen moving it to the centre is actually really neat. Having it all the way over to the left was a pain. Hopefully you can toggle between the two though.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have said on Twitter, I don't understand all the fuss about this.

No doubt includes a load more "Spyware" and "Talk Back" requirements as well and probably will kill off the "Local Account" option which I know based on the leaks is still there, but they want you to use a "Microsoft Account" so it wouldn't suprise me if they make that the only way to use it.

Probabaly has more bloatware that cannot be uninstalled without breaking opening Powershell and finding some way of getting rid of it from there.

Based of what I have seen it's Windows 10x renamed to Windows 11, I would be suprised if perfomance increases by anything more than 2% since most people are going to benchmark it on a clean install compared to a dirty Windows 10 install.

Seriously it's a skinned and renamed Windows 10 Tablet O/S.

I seriously cannot wait for Game Developers to take Linux seriously and start developing games to work on it, because then I can throw Windows in the bin and never go back to it for my main pc's.

Paradigm Shifter likes this.
  12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

animated navigation: Yeah, I've been turning that off since XP. What's the point of a fast system when they add stuff to slow down your navigation?
    centered taskbar: The start button will be back in the corner as soon as I add a b*ttload of quick launch icons. :worried: Or did they add a MacOS-style limited window with scrolling. That would suck.
    M$ account: God help us. It makes sense. They seem to think no one WORKS on their OS, we just sit around buying things.
    I just want them to quit borking my software and drivers.

damien c likes this.
  13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Best option back then was to cheat on XP with Windows 2000:p

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

centred start thing seems fines to me, I don't never click there always favouring the windows key and typing the first characters, that would now pop up into view nicely in the centre rather than corner.

windows arrangment stuff might be good, I recall thinking the window snapping feature was an annoyance but actually it is something I use everyday.

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Agreed, but DisplayFusion fixes the issues with the Taskbar being spread over multiple screens, and it goes on sale regularly, plus has a lot of other quality of life improvements. Microsoft may have "borrowed" some over the years, but by no means all of them yet. ;)

16. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

Its hard to take seriously when its a pain in the dick for most people. I have been using it off and on for over 2 decades, installed mint on a bog standard dell office laptop with all intel hardware last night. Connected it to my Wi-Fi during install got it all done rebooted and Wi-Fi no longer works.

Yep that's linux something happened let's start smashing my face in the keyboard in a effing terminal for 2 hours typing in half page command lines (it was power management now I got a startup script to remember with this specific machine... Like thats going to happen)

damien c likes this.
  17. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Do we really need to spend £50+ on a new OS when Windows 10 is fine (finally).

But I guess the sales pitch will be “there are unfixable security issues in Win 10 and we recommend you give us your wallets and take Win 11 forcefully up yet butts”

damien c likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:worried: That could be their next slogan.

Osgeld likes this.
  19. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I rarely left click the start button but I do use the right click menu on occasion so keeping it to the left makes sense for me. That's appears to be an option and I'm happy it is, as the videos I've seen with centre justified icons show them shifting slightly as non-pinned apps are opened to maintain icon centring. That's not going to be a great experience.

It depends on your usage. I didn't mind Windows 8 and still use 10 in the same way with the start menu set to full screen as I prefer using it as an app launcher and pin what I need to the menu. As much as I like live tiles they definitely made far more sense on Mobile and the others on desktop just feel invasive in the way app notifications do, so I won't really miss them.

I guess we'll see what is actually announced next Thursday. It would be nice to play with an official beta before passing judgement.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, Windows 8.1, the metro browser and tiles was some of the best things the Microsoft had done to change the experience if like me you used a touch screen convertible PC, the browser interface was better than any tablet had offered since, real shame they dropped it rather than evolve it.

Tags: Add Tags