1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Meanwhile in NI:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/17/edwin-poots-resigns-as-dup-leader-after-21-days

That is going to throw a spanner or two into the current UK / EU negotiations when the DUP under yet another new leader presents yet another set of demands soon...

3. VipersGratitude

[​IMG]

Nexxo, Anfield and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like I'm starting my diet again, and not by choice: food shortages are on the way.

Our Glorious Leaders, meanwhile, are hiring a head of Why Brexit Was A Great Idea and Everything's Rosy at £120k a year...

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm, like, 6 months away from retiring and leaving the UK and I'm like:
    [​IMG]

(I know, I know, a lot of you are stuck with this **** show and I feel really bad for you, but right now I've had a glass of wine followed by a rather nice grappa and I need to just disengage from this *********** called Brexit to preserve the delicate precious hothouse flower that is my sanity).

6. Risky

Risky Modder

So I guess I better hide this graphic in a spoiler so you don't feel the need to finish both bottles
    [​IMG]

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In the 2nd round everyone will rally behind the candidate who isn't from Affront National and thus Macron wins again by default.

8. Nexxo

You know what? I'm not too worried about Le Pen.

First, she backed down from leaving the EU; her beef with immigration is not of the EU Freedom of Movement kind; third even if I don't agree with many of her values, she is not some cynical populist grifter like Nigel Farage.

EDIT 20/06/2021:

Really not that worried:

Last edited: 20 Jun 2021
  9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I hope you're right and that she isn't just a much smarter variety of populist grifter.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's not a particularly high bar to clear.

perplekks45 likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Good job, too, 'cos we don't need any of you foreign types in our nice, white NHS. Err, did I say "white?" I meant... err... quintessentially English? No, British? Whatever, doesn't matter, it'll be gone in a decade.

I mean... it, err... needs careful review to ensure it's delivering maximum profit to shareholders. No, wait, maximum... return on investment. No, bugger, hang on... maximum... "patient care?" Well, that doesn't sound right...

Nexxo likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If Dild0 Harding gets her filthy, incompetent mits on the NHS, it’ll be gone. If it doesn’t get sold, she will destroy it by mismanagement.

13. Nexxo

I'm glad to be leaving. It's heart breaking to see what is happening to the NHS, but luckily I won't have to witness it anymore.

Meanwhile: French response to foreign healthcare workers dealing with COVID:

Covid: France rewards frontline immigrant workers with citizenship - BBC News

British response to foreign healthcare workers dealing with COVID:

Dido Harding 'vows to end NHS reliance on foreign staff' if she wins top job | Daily Mail Online

Good luck to Dido: 170,000 staff, or 14% of the NHS workforce is foreign (67,000, or 5.5% of which from the EU); with 29% of doctors and 18% of nurses (9.1% and 6% from the EU, respectively).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile there is a shortage of 100,000 staff, of which 50,000 nurses, and about 10,000 doctors, and could grow to 250,000 or more by 2030. On the occupation shortlist are also physiotherapists, dieticians, psychological practitioners of all types. It takes 3 years to train a nurse, 6 to train a doctor, 10 years to train a GP and 14 to train a surgeon; and 6 years to train a clinical psychologist. Training a doctor costs £250,000. Of course, there is nothing to stop them buggering off to much nicer living and working conditions in Australia, Canada or even the US.

In 2015/16, 11% of those joining the NHS were EU nationals (counting those for whom a nationality was known). In 2017/18, this had fallen to to 8%, and in 2019 to 7%. For nurses the percentage of EU joiners fell from 19% in 2015/16 to 6% in 2019. Meanwhile, the proportion of nurses joining the NHS with non-EU nationality rose from 8% in 2015/16 to 22% in 2019.

In 2017/18, 12.8% of nurses leaving the NHS were EU nationals, up from 9% in 2015/16. This fell to 11% in 2019.

[​IMG]

Of course this is all performative ******** that plays well with their target voter base, but is utterly unrealistic. The only way to end reliance on foreign professionals is to shrink the NHS and its services so that it practically implodes. And I wouldn't be surprised if that is the plan.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2021
  14. Risky

Risky Modder

Less populist grifter, more toned down fascist?

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The really stupid and aggravating thing is that the Leave vote was, in part, a strong signal that all echelons of British society really ****ing want the NHS to not die/privatize. Farage and Boris' bus stunt inadvertently proved that. And I really hoped/hope that the silver lining of it all would be that both major political parties take note and do more to keep it alive.

The second-order silver lining I can pin my remaining hope on will be that, if the NHS continues to get flea-bitten to death, the voting public correctly attribute its suffering to Tory leadership, and that that swings it Labour's way next time. At least then there'll be an opportunity to jab a great big adrenaline shot into the NHS' heart and maybe save it.

I haven't kept my ear to the ground politically, though, especially with regard to the opposition, so I have no idea if current Labour are likely to even attempt to do that.

16. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

The only one on that diagram that worries me is the 9 in a 1000 from "somewhere else". Where ? Another dimension ? Another time ? Another planet ?

17. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

They provide colonoscopy services for the NHS.

[​IMG]

18. Nexxo

Meanwhile, in North Korea Great Britain:

[​IMG]

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

June 25th, the day Scottish Schools will have already broken up for summer holidays.

20. VipersGratitude

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Jun 2021