1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W11 - So who has tried it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by creative, 19 Jun 2021.

1. creative

creative 500rwhp

As per the title really.

I just put it in a VM to have a nosey around and I actually quite like it. Finding a couple of things was new but control panel is still there thankfully!

Activated *cough* fine using existing ways, programs installed with no issues and powershell scripts to remove all the crap also still worked.

I'm liking it so far... ( yes I know its a dev version and things may/will change)

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...got to admit, I'm not sure I'd be typing passwords into an operating system I'd obtained as a leaked ISO from some random Russian server.

Or run it in a VM, even.

GaryP, David and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. creative

creative 500rwhp

meh... depends what you put in.... certainly wouldnt use it for banking etc but for testing purposes... user beware.
    And the article is more about vm/cloud based vulnerabilities rather than W11 specifically.

I also ran the setup within a W10 vm and performed an update and it worked fine, better than W7 to W10 did!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's a chance I know what the article is about... given that I wrote it.

It's about how issues with running Windows in a VM allow malicious software in the VM to escape the VM. Which is, y'know, why I suggested running hooky 'leaked' Windows 11 images in a VM ain't a great idea. And typing your passwords into it doubly so.

Just my two penn'orth, mind.

6. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Post of the year on Bit-tech.

I was swigging from a bottle of cherryade at the time which I am now wiping off my desk, luckily missing my keyboard.

souper82, MLyons, LennyRhys and 2 others like this.
  7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I haven't tried it as I'm waiting for the official release and recently moved to Linux for its performance increase, it's kinda funny i modded windows 10 to be practically the same... taskbar icons in the middle, rounded edges, now suddenly windows 11 appears with the same features. Looking forward to it tbh.

8. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

Chances are it will be fine. Just run it from a VM in Linux if you have to.
    It's only hosted on a Russian server because Russian web hosts don't care about US copyright laws and MS wouldn't have a chance of taking it down. It's no more dangerous than any thing you get from western servers.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Get an empty drive, start KVM on linux (using something like virt-manager), assign the raw empty drive to KVM and install it there in UEFI mode. Power off your system, unplug all drives except your Windows 11, boot it up. KVM should support secure boot.

10. Gareth Halfacree

That wouldn't help. The vulnerabilities I wrote about were in Windows guests on any Kubernetes host.

Now, I'm not saying the hooky leaked Windows 11 ISO is definitely home to a Trojan that'll break out of a VM and infect your host. I am, however, saying it's possible, and that I, personally, amn't so eager to see what lipstick Microsoft's putting on the Windows pig this time around to run the risk.

It'd be a great way to get a backdoor into journalists' systems, incidentally - I've seen loads of coverage of the leak...

slimithy likes this.
  11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I tried it on VMware player, just installed and didn't bother with anything else. Worked much better than LTT's video, it's smooth and very usable.

I haven't gone beyond the 10min messing around with it. So can't comment anything other than initial impression: the glassy interface feels very much like XP to Vista.........

12. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Held fire until the 1st dev build came out last week. Though it is a pain that Microsoft haven't released an iso download for the preview, which is a pain when I wanted to try a clean install in a VM, and the system requirements check for Win 11 failed on my computer when running Win10 in a VM.

Still, managed to get it running and it's interesting.

I guess the key is that the Start Menu didn't really change between Win95 and Win7. Some versions like XP defaulted to a different layout and fly-out menus disappeared with Vista, but some form of the old one was always around in a form either identical or so close to the Win 95 version that it didn't matter. Obviously Win8 changed that and tbh Win10 wasn't really any different bar horizontal vs vertical scrolling and removing the desktop as an "app". Win 11 has really only simplified the start menu, but, for me at least, I'm not sure it's going to work.

I don't need half of the start menu to be a space for recommended documents and new apps. I also want more space for apps to be pinned - that's all I really need. I use the Win 10 start menu full screen, mainly as I use the start menu as an app launcher and I pin pretty much everything I have installed to it. It's been great for games - doesn't matter if they've been installed from the Windows Store, Steam, Origin, DVD, manual download or from somewhere else - I can simply click on the game or app I want to play and it launches without issue, opening the launcher if necessary and any game can launch with a single click. Windows 11 will really limit that if the pinned app list will show just 18 apps by default as it does on my VM install and the only alternative is to go to the full alphabetical list - which exists in basically the same menu as on Win10. I simply can't group apps or games in the way I did on Win 10 and even on Win 8. To me it's a backwards step. That's especially true with the pinned app list not allowing folders or grouping of any kind, which will make it the only OS I can think of that doesn't allow for that functionality.

The rest of the OS changes make sense but I still don't get why tabs aren't available in the file explorer. And there's too many screens that don't support dark mode settings.

It's promising but I'm yet to be convinced.