1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

3070 Ti Founders Edition.

More info in a post in the 3xxx series thread:

Pete J, liratheal and IanW like this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My Dell 3008WFP has issues: the DisplayPort input no longer supports the native 2560x1600 res, I can only get that on the DVI inputs. No other inputs support the native res (it's an old beast, cut it some slack!). There's clearly some kind of hardware issue with the DisplayPort input - a dry joint, bad caps, duff PSU, etc. But my 1060 has a DVI dual link connector, so no problem.

Until now, because the 3070 Ti I just ordered only has DisplayPort and HDMI.

I have absolutely zero desire to tear down my 3008WFP and attempt to repair the DisplayPort input - I simply don't have the patience or inclination for board-level repair any more.

So I just bought a new monitor: Gigabyte G27Q (1440p 144Hz)

[​IMG]

There are better 27" 1440p monitors out there, but this should do for now. First time I've had a >60Hz display since the days of CRTs...

Arboreal and IanW like this.
  3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Isn't that a downgrade by loosing 160 vertical lines?

Have you considered 3860x1600 ultrawide monitors? That way you will gain width on top of not loosing vertical pixels.

I'm looking for an upgrade but would prefer more desktop space (and 144Hz VRR) from the 2560x1440 U2711 I've had for over 10 years now. Same as yours, I fear the single full resolution DP port might break someday. It's got two DVI-DL, VGA, 1080p only HDMI, and even component inputs, but everything is either DP or HDMI now.
    Without going 4K and use scaling to negate the resolution gain on desktop, the only way I can see is to go ultrawide. Would love a 30 inch 16:10 monitor though.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A 2.5" SATA 1TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD from Argos - My OS drive (an elderly 500GB 840 EVO) has begun throwing SMART errors.

[​IMG]

Why Argos you ask? The local branch (inside Sainsbury's) had it in stock for a reasonable price, and is only 5 mins walk from home.

EDIT: Posted wrong product pic.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2021
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It is indeed technically a downgrade, but only in terms of native panel resolution. In terms of what I'm going to get out of it, it's definitely an upgrade. I can't use native panel resolution on the Dell 3008WFP right now; the 3070Ti turned up this morning, so I can currently only use this monitor at 1920x1200. When looked at in that light, 2560x1440 @ 144Hz is a huge upgrade from 1920x1200 @ 60Hz. I didn't spend £530 on a new graphics card only to handicap myself by running my monitor at a non-native resolution - this monitor handles that well, better than any other monitor I've owned, but you can still see it...

The Dell 3008WFP is a lovely monitor, and this particular monitor has given three forum members many years of good service (I bought it from @Zoon, he bought it from @Tattysnuc, and he bought it from a user who's no longer registered). But it's big, it's old, it gets incredibly hot, it's power hungy, it's very heavy, it's almost impossible to get a desk-mounted stand for it, and it's still only 60Hz. It's time I upgraded to 144Hz.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2021
    wyx087, Zoon and Arboreal like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

At some point soon my bedroom at mums is getting a makeover. I've already filled a recycling bin with metal, wiring and plastic. Prime day.... I was going to buy an SSD but then I realised if I get a cheap external enclosure I can use my 2tb drive for music etc. So I decided to buy peripherals.

I've got a Huntsman Elite at home and tbh? it is the only Razer product I have ever had that I absolutely love. It's smaller here, desk surface etc. So I got this. Was on PD for £78.99 Huntsman TE. Again uses the opto switches.

[​IMG]

Got a new mouse for £26.99

[​IMG]

And a Goliathus RGB XXL for £27.99. Usually £59.99. So some epic bargains.

[​IMG]

Stoked. This whole system really is turning into a mini version of what I have at home :D

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

An MOT friendly number plate for the bike, now I just need to remember where I stashed the little LED I bought to illuminate it :wallbash:

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I blame Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

IanW, Byron C and Vault-Tec like this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Gotta get dat arr jee bee everywhere you can :thumb: :grin:.

Vault-Tec, IanW and mrlongbeard like this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If it's not a typo of the Bee Gee's, is it really an entertainment accessory or component these days?

Still trying to work out how to insert RGB into my scart GBS-8200 setup.

Byron C likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Don't like - RGB in my PC.

Do like - external RGB. It really cheers up my room. My PC is usually on the floor, so I can't see it any way. But yeah, the light show from the keyboard mouse and mat are pretty epic.

I don't have a Razer at home. It's a Steel Series. I got it because it was reversible and has a "speed" side (IE hard, just how I like it :p )

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Don't care about - RGB.

Really don't like - the fact that I can't turn off the RGB on my current GPU. Thanks, Asus.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My motherboard has some red lighting but, it can be easily turned off, otherwise, my PC is entirely RGB free :clap:

Last edited: 26 Jun 2021
  14. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Just had to purchase a power brick for the wife's laptop. The dog was chewing on the wires again and it's a little past repairable this time.:rollingeyes:

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Maybe get some cheapo cable wrap as a "sacrificial" chew surface?

[​IMG]

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The dog? Or the wires? Guessing the latter, but you never know.

Midlight likes this.
  17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Late yesterday took delivery of a WD Elements 4TB unit for backup, to replace an old 2½" device, that was as slow as a refrigerated snail.

First time I have bought a spinning disk drive since before 2010 and, was very pleasantly surprised at how fast it is and, how quiet. Backing up is now much less of a PITA.

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just picked up an immaculate Corsair white PBT double shot keycap set on Gumtree for £15.
    Great location, 3 mins away from where I was collecting my daughter from drama class this afternoon!

IanW, BeauchN, Byron C and 2 others like this.
  19. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Little flurry, some more to come probably

Yamaha TW-E7A earbuds
    [​IMG]

Ikea pegboard (plus the long tray an a couple packs of hooks)

[​IMG]

Want to find a decent Qi charger now

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

[​IMG]
    Because my very ancient X-Rite calibrator is proper fooked and sends everything waaaay off in to the green. Which makes everything look like the Forest Moon of Endor when it goes to print

[​IMG]
    Because I can't afford Campfires

Yamaha make ANCs now (reads some reviews), oh dear, this could be very bad for my savings...

Pete J likes this.