1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Pirelli have been given an impossible job by the FIA, they have to build tyres that can withstand a fully fueled 900kg car pulling 5g+ sideways at over 320kph, but the tyres also have to have a useful lifepsan of 30% to 50% of the race distance and no longer. Bridgestone took one look at the specs and walked away, when the supply contract came up for renewal a couple of years ago Pirelli were the only company to tender for the second time. There have definitely been more tyre blowups under pirelli than in the olden days but Pirelli are building what F1 asked them to build.
    I suspect next year with the low profile tyres this will happen less, those tyres won't lean over and press the sidewalls into the ground the way the current ones do, they'll have a thicker tread too.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2021
    enbydee likes this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, that Gasly Leclerc fight at the end for 3rd was very entertaining to watch:thumb:

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Gasly's precision on braking was pretty amazing.
    Alonso was good on the restart too.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2021
  4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Giovinazzi went into someone on the opening lap, I saw it in a replay, also I know someone in the team ;)

5. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Ricciardo

6. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I appreciate this, and overall the sport has dug itself into a very deep hole with the current set of regulations. But the one thing that will most switch customers off buying Pirelli tyres for their road car is watching them explode at high speed on a straight!! This kind of incident is a disaster for their advertising, much worse than having a somewhat boring F1 strategy through the season.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I do wonder about that, but I suspect the number who take away negatives about Pirelli tyres is low compared to the number who see the Pirelli logos. Pirelli gets paid something like $220million per year for it's tyre supply deal so I suspect they aren't too fussed as long as the negative coverage isn't too intense.

It is a shame that they keep having this happen in F1, in GT3 and Superbikes Pirelli are basically the standard tyre.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pirelli have basically been asked to save the racing, as they can't seem to get it right with the regs. They could easily make tyres that last all race and stick like glue, but then even more races would be processional.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

IMO, the restart proves the easy solution is to change nothing except mandate a minimum of two stops per race. Give teams something to actually strategise other than "start on softs/mediums, end with mediums/hards" or "start on hards, end with mediums/softs". A more diverse set of strats will probably see interesting tyre utilisation across a weekend and allow some drivers to push harder on more aggressive strats versus others on more conservative ones.

I expect the gap between top-tier and midfield/backmarkers will widen significantly, but should at least give us good creative racing in the middle of the pack, and who knows, maybe even a good two- or three-way fight at the pointy end?

11. rollo

rollo Modder

I doubt the racing will be any better next year, Cars are heavier and wider is not conductive to world class racing. 2 F1 cars cannot even technically fit down most of monaco side by side, Even at world class racing tracks you can see how little space there really is when lined up the grid.

Need a return to smaller lighter F1 machines of the past

Omnislip likes this.
  12. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Must admit for a while I've been enjoying the btcc support series, F4 and ginetta juniors, on itv4. Quite a varied ability level, low speed, low grip, with a bunch of kids driving cars that can take a few knocks in short races you don't need to nap through.

13. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

15. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Looks like they're removing some of the very slow corners. Probably wont fix it being dull but interesting to see if it helps.

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I'd rather they binned off the turns 8/9 chicane and extended T10 like below, it'll never happen due to the speed but I think it would make more of a difference.

[​IMG]

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Not entirely sure there is much to say about the race, it would be useful if I was tired as it would put me to sleep.

these cars are not designed for any kind of racing combined with these tires

a wider and bigger car next year will make the situation even worse, Monaco you can basically turn off after qualy the winner will be known as the 2 cars will be 2 wide to pass on the same bit of road

a true F1 fan just wants exciting races, don’t care who wins. Today was boring and there has been too many races like this

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm not so sure about that. Lots of F1 fans accept and expect a bit of light and shade in terms of on track action as long as it is an exciting and competitive season with good races at the technological pinacle of single seater racing. Historically that is what F1 is typically like even in it's most fondly remembered eras.
    Other racing formulas where banging panels and fights for the lead happen almost constantly are and always have been available.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

4 years of Formula Vettel followed by 6 years of Formula Hamilton (with one brief interruption in 2016) leaves its marks...