1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Decided to go intel over Amd

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 7 Jul 2021.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Right,
    Ive just finnished building.my Amd ryzen 7 5800x rig but decided to sell the motherboard and cpu and go back to intel,whats the intel cpu thats more or less equal to the 5800x,thank you

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

why would you do that?

Intel equivalent would be an 11700

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

I just hate the ryzen motherboards too,got a gigabyte aorus master and just hate it bud,so im going back to intel

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well if you have a bundle going I might have a willing buyer :)

5. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Not sure what i could get for it buddy

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well I won't say anything due to a vested interest but I will say you won't get much value switching and should persevere with the AMD setup, there is really not a lot you need to do in the BIOS, they have quite advanced chips it is quite simple really plug chip in, select XMP or DOCP etc for memory and if you want to overclock let it do it itself by enabling PBO and setting it to motherboard, job done, what else could you possibly want to do in the bios. Obviously there are more advanced memory side OCing you could do but they are damn fast without it.

Fan control etc won't have platform specific settings so if you don't like how a bios is done on AMD it is likely to be the same on Intel from the same brand.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2021
    numanoid likes this.
  7. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thanks buddy,ill have another go tomorrow and if i cant do it im done, is 72c in far cry 5 high, cheers matey

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

No, they do run a little toasty but the seem to be configured that way, the thermal control doesn't kick in until 90C, when they are not heavily loaded they pump a load of voltage in for core boost, so on mine I can see near 1.5v on no load and higher temps than when the cores are loaded up and the chip has knocked 200Mhz off, I find it very odd.

Once you have it running and happy there are things in the PBO menu like curve optimizer, here you can set an undervolt and an overboost target but get to know it first stock and know it is stable because it is different to intel for example running an undervolt can be more of an issue with no load than with all cores load firing and the machine can lock up at idle which is backwards to what you might expect. I've left PBO to its own devices but I have mine under water so less concern with temps.

numanoid likes this.
  9. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thank you sandys, appretiate your help buddy, but im still thinking about an intel setup lol,take care matey,keep safe..

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If heat is your main concern, Intel won't be any better. I've just built a rig for a friend with an 11700k in it and it runs hot!

numanoid likes this.
  11. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Cheers mate,im gonna see how it goes,the aorus cooler says the cpu is 45c yet in the bios it says its 31c....who is right and who is wrong lol

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bear in mind AMD stuff is a bit... odd when it comes to temperatures. Here, have a look at my 2700X:

upload_2021-7-8_11-2-15.png

There are two sensors, Tctl and Tdie. Tdie is the actual temperature; Tctl is, for some reason, the actual temperature plus 10°C. The average, then, is always the actual temperature plus 5°C.

So, anything that defaults to the Tctl reading will be 10°C above where it actually is; anything that takes an average of the two will be 5°C above where it actually is. Which is why I've got mine set to use the Tdie directly and ignore the Tctl.

Sgoaty, VictorianBloke and numanoid like this.
  13. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

What program is that your are using for temps?

numanoid likes this.
  14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

numanoid likes this.
  15. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Im just going by the aorus cooler and the bios buddy

16. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

This post is by far the clearest explanation I've seen on this. I now realise I've been using an average (Tctl/Tdie) but I could never work out exactly what it meant. It is consistently 5 degrees up on Tdie.

Cheers!

Gareth Halfacree and numanoid like this.