1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The latter. It seems so much more reasonable after a while, doesn't it?

davvy76 likes this.
  2. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

It's looking mighty tempting, claim insanity and get a nice padded soundproof room to live in :grin:

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Deleted due to cock-up.

spolsh likes this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Go on Tor, find a discrete assassination service and, pay with crypto.

davvy76 and perplekks45 like this.
  5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

1 of my lovely darling nieces has decided to break her's and her sisters computer again :waah:

The eldest has been told multiple times to not put drinks on top of there computer but she will just not listen.

She spilt her drink a couple of weeks ago and didn't tell anyone until yesterday.

I was told what it was doing and said instantly that the GPU was dead, of course my dad said no and looked at it this morning and then said "yeah you were right, the card's dead".

My dad called my sister after looking at it and told her, and the eldest could hear it and she said "It's okay Damien will buy me a new one, he is our best uncle" :hehe:

She soon wasn't so happy when I told her she is not getting a new one and she is not getting the pc back until she learns to respect things.

So now I need to clean the pc out as it's filthy and then when I think she has learned her lesson I need to look for a new GPU for them.

I feel sorry for her sister though because she is without a pc now because of her older sister.

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

It's so dumb... but I'm going to say it anyway...

I'm starting to feel a teensy bit apprehensive for the final tonight... every other post on news, Facebook, instagram is about It, I can't escape it!

The further England get in international tournaments the harder I find them to watch. The semi finals we bought a load of "party" food to snack on. I couldn't eat a thing until full-time... I was on the edge of my seat

Its going to be the same way tonight, my poor heart.

MLyons likes this.
  7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm nervous for probably the opposite reason, the idea of them winning and fans going on about it till the end of time.

On a slightly more serious note, the time/complete feeling of being in the dark waiting for mortgage stuff.

8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yeah you can, use the 'off' button, it's been working for me so far.
    With luck after about another 3 or 4 days I'll be able to watch the news or listen to the radio again when it's all dies down.

Pete J likes this.
  9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Exactly, this is why I have always said that a perfect big tournament result for me would be for England to reach the finals and then lose. That way we get the most number of matches and empty shops/streets possible without all the rubbish that comes after a big win. Regardless of the result I really hope that I don't bump into one particular guy at work tomorrow, I have worked with him for almost 14 years, in the same office, and he still does not know how to talk to me as all he knows is football, something that I have no interest in. He's nice enough and all that, but seems incapable of talking about anything else, at least with the guys in the office.

10. Almightyrastus

OK, so not exactly ruining, but proper annoying me:

Found a Lego Land Rover on FB Marketplace for a decent price, been after one for ages, but never have the £160 for a new one. Messaged the guy with the usual "hi, is the Lego Land Rover still available?" and got the reply "yes".

"awesome, whereabouts are you?" (asking as his profile said London, but the listing is Nottingham), no reply.

another message an hour later "Are you going to be about this afternoon for me to come and collect?"...... no reply

This morning I see all messages have been read, no answer.

My wife sends a message asking if it is still for sale this morning, "yes"

"cool, are you going to be in this afternoon for my husband to come and collect?"... no answer

2 more messages, one from each of us, no answers, not even read.

Now call me insane, but it seems to me that if you are trying to sell something then not answering those people who express interest in buying it is not going to get you very far with selling that item...

I'm now thinking that he wants offers in a thread to start a bidding war, nothing in his post about wanting offers, just lists a price.

JUST TALK TO ME!!!!! If it's playing silly idiots with bidding and offers that you want, tell me so I can go waste my time somewhere else.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'd have walked away a lot sooner, I can't be doing with people like that.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This is Facebook marketplace and Gumtree down to a T. Can't be dealing with it any more.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I still find Gumtree decent, I'm mostly interested in DIY stuff and building materials etc. so proximity is a big deal, there are still decent people out there, but it's perhaps 50/50 with the other kind.

14. Almightyrastus

To be honest, this is the first time that I have been messed around with FB Marketplace. We have had quite a few bits and pieces from electronics to furniture from there and never had an issue at all. This guy just doesn't seem to be interesting in selling the item that he took the time to write the ad for.

15. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

FWIW its ~£104 on Amazon...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P2GQDQ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Almightyrastus likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Gardening... this weather... and our letting agent.

I hate gardening at the best of times and some of the grass was waist-high. The grassbox kept filling up after going maybe 10 feet, eventually I just took the grassbox off and just let all the clippings fly out the back of the mower. Pro tip: Never do this because this is not a safe way to operate your lawnmower, things will fly out of the back and they won't all be grass... My legs are scratched to hell now... I need to get back out there on the weekend and go over the garden again on a lower blade height setting. And then I get to go round with the strimmer - yay...

Plus it's hot as balls right now. My house is back to it's usual summertime sauna conditions upstairs. Hence why I want to get the garden sorted, so I can put the gazebo back up and we can actually have somewhere outside to use.

The letting agent still hasn't arranged for our fence to be fixed (agency-managed rental, the landlord shouldn't have anything to do with repairs or maintenance). Quite a few panels are damaged or loose and we've had a gaping hole between our garden and next door since Febuary. I originally reported damage to the fence back in January, before a panel collapsed and created the aforementioned hole.

A slight tangent. Back in late Sept 2019 I arranged for a gardener to come and sort our garden for us, and the patio door got shattered accidentally when a stone chip got hit by his mower. The glass shattered but it stayed in place in the frame. (Laminated safety glass, innit? It's designed to do that.) Initially there was a little back and fore between us and the letting agent, but once they confirmed that fixed glass in windows is actually our liability (and after I confirmed that in the tenancy agreement), I got payment sorted pretty sharpish. There's a reason I pay a lot of money for home insurance and it's because I know that our contents-only policy will pay for things like this; I had the claim sorted within a week or two and my insurance paid the letting agent directly.

It took the useless ****ers the best part of a year - a ****ing year - before they arranged to get the patio door fixed. We spent pretty much all of last year not being able to use our garden because of the risk of the shattered patio door collapsing. The ****ing clowns they got to fix the patio door didn't even bother trying to clean up the broken glass they left everywhere - I'm still finding bits of broken glass on the drive or in the garden to this day.

We've had so many problems and issues with this house, right from the day we moved in:
    • the place was filthy and hadn't been cleaned after the last tenant moved out - toilet bowls were covered in other people's effluence, the bath was the grimiest thing I've ever seen, and it reeked of grease and gross food smells
    • we didn't get an inventory
    • there are parts of the house I still can't clean, like the toilet bowl upstairs and the layers and layers of encrusted filth on the extractor and extractor hood
    • the oven has... black... stuff... welded so hard to the bottom of it that you'd have to scrape the enamel off to clean it
    • almost every floor board upstairs squeaks when you so much as fart near it
    • every room has multiple holes in the wall from where plasterboard screws have been put in and subsequently removed
    • the alarm panel had blown before we moved in and I can't clean the scorch marks off the wall (although we can't use the alarm anyway, the cats would set off the PIR sensors)
    • chunks of laminate floor beading and skirting board are missing in the lounge
    • walls in pretty much every room are stained, marked, or have crayon scribbles on them - I tried to clean the kitchen walls with sugar soap and the paint started lifting before the stains did
    • they once left us without heating for over a month in the winter while we waited for the heating to be fixed
    • much much more that I'm just so accustomed to that it doesn't even register any more

We've reported so many things and nothing gets done - if it's not building work then I just ****ing do it myself these days, it's not even worth my time and effort to report stuff any more. I will fight them tooth and ****ing nail for every single penny of our deposit that they try to claim.

And now we're having exactly the same ****ing routine as the patio door all over again with the fence. I reported this back on January 5th this year, and I've got the ****ing emails to prove it. Since then we've had four - FOUR - different contractors give a quote for yet nothing has been done. Even if we are genuinely just waiting for contractors to become available, I wouldn't know it because they don't tell me a ****ing thing. I am absolutely ****ing livid over it.

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I feel your pain @Byron C. I rented for years and it was somehow always like that. It saps all your energy trying to get simple things fixed. Fingers crossed your fence gets sorted before the turn of the century!
    Oh, for your oven, have you tried a glass scraper? Works wonders for really burnt on stuff :)

18. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've been banned from cyclingsimulator :miffed:

Byron C, Pete J, yodasarmpit and 4 others like this.
  19. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Finding out what part p is 3 years after my kitchen fitter installed a new consumer unit and wired up a 30A induction hob.

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Jeez... was it an established kitchen company, or a local/indie/rando? That's seriously poor form.

Wiring up a hob on a new circuit is one thing, but a new CU!