1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's my secret, Cap. I always feel a bit ****.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good luck, GH.
    The flood of Delta is lapping at our doorstep.
    Both kids got a jab yesterday at a Uni drop in session.
    No 2 for my son, and no1 for my daughter, as they let her have literally the last dose at the end of the session.
    On the other side, 2 good friends of my daughter have reported positive PCR tests in the last 2 days.
    Stay safe out there folks, Delta is sweeping through.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just dug out my vaccination card and it turns out that my wife & I both had our first jabs from the 'Not Acceptable to the EU' batches...

"The batches affected are 41202001, 41202002 and 41202003.

It will be mainly people who had AZ in March and very Early April. The bulk of those affects are going to be people in their 50s."

Yep, that's us. Late March, my firs one is batch '003

Still not clear what effect this may have on our future ability to travel, we're not going anywhere this summer; let alone abroad.

This on the BBC website from a couple of weeks back is some comfort

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Yeah, it's basically the same thing as the UK AZ vaccine. My understanding is that the EU just hasn't approved it yet essentially because they haven't gotten round to it.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Disaster capitalism: using a natural or engineered disaster as a pretext for privatisation and asset-stripping. COVID19 is a natural disaster. So guess which Bill just passed its second reading in Parliament?

[​IMG]

7. walle

walle Minimodder

Government never let a good crisis go to waste, man-made or natural.

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

"Threat to the world you say?... Hurrah, we're relevant again"

Last edited: 16 Jul 2021
  9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Still hoping for Scotland to vote again, go independant and then england break off and fall into the sea. (I'll give my family the heads up).

Or at least make Boris and Patel to walk in the sea.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Sooner rather than later, before they can do any more damage to this country.

GeorgeStorm likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

And to think, remoaners said Brexit would reduce our importance on the world stage(!)

MLyons likes this.
  12. walle

walle Minimodder

As I understand it.

A vaccine should be implemented after the infection is GONE. If done before, the virus will mutate as a response to the vaccine and then keep on mutating with each new vaccine introduced to counter the mutation(s).

The Spanish Flu was around for 2 years, years later the vaccine arrived.

How many shots are they up to now?

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..What?

Did I misread that?

Because that reads like some wholesale stupidity. That, to me says, "The best way to vaccinate is to let it kill everyone it can then vaccinate the remains".

Also not to call into question your sound logic, but. The Spanish flu existed in 1918.

Pretty sure that medical research and manufacturing wasn't quite up to the standard and scale that it is in 2019-2021. And let's not forget the whole.. World war 'thing' that was still wrapping up.

14. Nexxo

walle is correct that a vaccine can become another naturally selective pressure on a mutating virus. Which is why it is important to hit it fast and all at once so it doesn't get time to develop a resistant strain. It is effectively a race between how fast you can vaccinate the whole population vs how fast the virus can out-mutate it. Basically: total lockdown and isolation, and do not let go until everyone is vaccinated.

What the UK government is doing is creating a "safe haven" of unvaccinated people for the virus to mutate in, and eventually (and inevitably) develop a strain that can break into the vaccinated population. By December we'll have a vaccine resistant strain, and it will be called the 'Johnson variant'. World beating.

15. liratheal

Honestly I must be misreading it, because I'm aware that the concept of a vaccine is to be faster distributing it than the virus can defend itself - Something made harder by international travel being easier than 1918 I've no doubt - but reading '..after the infection is gone. If done before..' makes it read like we should just twiddle our thumbs until the people likely to succumb to it have done, and then vaccinate the rest of us.

16. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

There are billions of unvaccinated people around the world in whom a vaccine resistant mutation could arise. A vaccine resistant strain is not inevitable.

17. Nexxo

In a largely unvaccinated population, the vaccine is not a selective pressure, so a vaccine resistant mutation could arise randomly, but would have to compete with all the other mutations in the same population. In a half-vaccinated population, the vaccine is a selective pressure: evading it would open up a whole subgroup it could have all to itself.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oi, there's another country attached to England, you know. We don't much want to be associated with England either.

19. Gareth Halfacree

So, err, our new Health Secretary, who says it's definitely safe to drop pretty much all the restrictions in two days' time... He... He, err... He's got COVID-19.

Amaze.

20. liratheal

Sometimes timing really is key.