1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The short answer is that advances in refrigeration did away with the need for daily milk deliveries.

The facetious one, is that they kept getting bombed.

I would expect that the battery vehicles of those days were only good for that sort of driving, slow paced with constant stopping and starting. As soon as it's delivering to a single house on each street then it probably all falls apart. Where I live the likes of Amazon and DPD do exactly that, which is ideal for modern electric vans but they're not yet economical against a cheap diesel unit I'd expect. If only we had a competent government.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

We can but hope that milk floats will return with the rise of EV vans that's currently happening.

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

To be fair on that though, it was only an issue if they went too fast.

4. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Did a new tattoo on myself. Starting to get good with stick n poke

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bad news - The USA megacorp I work for a subsidiary of, just asked us all for headshots to populate their org chart, calling it a "Corporate requirement"
    Good news - Being able to tell them no without any comeback, because UK GDPR.

perplekks45 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Top stuff.
    I uploaded the below fully expecting to be told to go away and upload a proper corporate shot, but so far 6 years later no one has.
    [​IMG]

slimithy likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A little while back, I posted this in the other thread.

Not jealous anymore after seeing the following:-

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That should have an AIO in it. If it did? it would perform really well. Maybe there's a shortage? IDK. That said they are nasty inside.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

According to the vid the AIO seems to be a configurable option, despite it being advertised on the packaging.

Looooot of plastic on that case...

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

In other news... this:

[​IMG]

Oof.

I mean... it's Virgin Media after all, but I find that once you cut their crappy hardware out of the loop it's not too bad. The new SuperShittyHub was in 'router' mode for a total of about 20-30 minutes before I switched it to 'modem-only'!

EDIT: Nice, even testmy.net agrees, and that's usually a pretty harsh test...

[​IMG]

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well la-de-dah Mr. Internet!

I wish Deutsche Telekom would get their arse out of their hands and offer something that wasn't a limping VDSL thing around here.

Or the exclusivity contract on this property would expire so I could pay some other chumps for intertubes.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Waiting for Deutsche Telekom to do anything is more often than not a job for multiple generations, one after the other getting old and grey while waiting. When I still had to deal with them I would start literally any conversation with them with the following words "good day, just to let you know: this is the only conversation about this topic you'll have with me. From the second round on you'll have to talk exclusively with my lawyers. Understood? Good, let's start", which seemed to work wonders for their speed of action.

13. liratheal

Yeah, DT remind me of older BT - I get the same blood boiling frustration whenever I have to deal with them, be it work or personal.

For whatever reason they're literally the only provider I can get here. It feels like they laid the cable (New-ish build, five-six years old) and have demanded a period of exclusivity for the pleasure, which seems monstrously archaic and bull****ty to me, but here we are.

14. perplekks45

They have laid the cable with a certainty of >98%, because they still own most cables/connections in Germany (former state-owned monopolist) and they also decide which company to share their cables with. There are anti-competitive tendencies within DT and Germany is trying to make them open up, but you know how hard that can be. Personally, I'm with Vodafone and they are quite good by now when their connection has issues. The distribution centre (the knot in this area), though, belongs to DT. It was not fun to be limited to 1Mbit/s down for 6 months because they hired a cheap Romanian team of technicians to maintain their hardware, who then screwed up big time (replacing damaged cards with outright broken ones, flashing the wrong firmware, not pushing in cables all the way, ...) and Vodafone and I could only wait for DT to move slower than a paraplegic glacier.

15. liratheal

That would certainly explain a lot.

When we arranged for this line I of course opted for the biggest option they listed on their site, and that said "Yep, you can have this!" - But then it didn't. They didn't let us know, of course, that that wasn't an option until we called on the supposed activation date. That we could only have this other package, and now that had to be a separate order and would take another two weeks. It took more, though, 'cause despite having exclusivity on the lines they couldn't tell that ours had never been connected before, the previous tenant hadn't had internet for whatever reason. Or a phone.

Honestly it felt like that scene in South Park where they deal with the nipple rubbing cable people.

16. perplekks45

At least they gave you the option to take any other option. They could've easily just not said or offered anything, charged you for the bigger package, delivered less, and then gotten out of the whole ordeal by saying "...oh, but you know our packages are 'up to xx Mbit/s' and we cannot guarantee those speeds, like ever".

17. liratheal

On the one hand, yeah, pleasantly surprised that it didn't go that route. On the other, I had to compare it mentally to the providers I experienced in the UK and comparatively it made me consider trying to flush the entirety of Telekom down the toilet.

18. perplekks45

Let me know when you do it, I'll join in and might just hand you another bunch of companies to drown.

liratheal likes this.
  19. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Three job interviews next week

IanW, MLyons, xaser04 and 3 others like this.
  20. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Is this the hub4? If so... let me know what you did. I HATE it!!!