1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Yes. I put it between the mattress protector and the sheet

Byron C likes this.
  2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well... Clearly you've thought about this more than I have.. :grin:

perplekks45 likes this.
  3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

You can buy any size of towelling fitted sheets on Amazon for under a tenner - well worth grabbing a couple or three.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

To anyone who really suffers with the heat I can recommend picking up a portable air conditioner cheap in autumn/winter. Fairly noisy, not great in terms of efficiency compared with a proper split unit, uses a bit of electricity (but not ridiculous), is a bit of a pain to vent through a window, need to put it somewhere when not in use... But boy does it make a difference when the going gets hot. It may not get used a lot but for a few weeks a year it's borderline life changing, which makes it well worth it for me.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2021
    Arboreal likes this.
  5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Creatinine hit 1.7. I'm sick as he'll trying to get stuff done and I'm getting worse and worse. They gave me a week to get better before intervention. Don't feel like I'll last the week.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

having a sort of the spare room and from the midst of a pile of papers falls an unopened letter from RM revenue. its a tax return for £200, nfi how it got there but sweet.

it's dated feb 2013, :waah:

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Got full lab results back. Kidney function is below 50%. I'll be going back sooner than I want. Still, it's not as bad as it could be.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Mortgage declined out of nowhere, quite why it took them over a month to come to that conclusion but I'm really glad to be back at the start of the process...

9. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

R.I.P Joey Jordison… As an angsty angry teenager, Slipknot was me all over in my teen years…

Sad reminder that life is short.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Work has just switched to a new payroll platform and the landing page smacks you in the face with deductions, compounded by this particular time of year being rife with deductions for me. So much so that I contacted the payroll/admin crew to check it was right. It was of course, and has been the same for years, but seeing it framed like this threw me for one.

This isn't a "tax is ruining" post to be clear, I've shared my opinions about those. I just wish this new platform would be cool about it like the old one was:

"Here's how much we put in your account, isn't that nice? (btw, you can click through to see the various ways money was taken from the starting number, but you don't want to do that now, do you)"
    vs.
    "Here's how much you theoretically earned, HERE'S HOW MUCH WAS TAKEN, and this number over here, yeah that's what was leftover... chump"

Oof. Sorry to hear that man. I was a picture of anxiety trying to think of all of the outlandish reasons we would get declined during the waiting game for a decision last year. Hopefully this setback is just that and doesn't thoroughly scupper your plans.

11. GeorgeStorm

The bank valued the house differently to the Home Report value which changed the amount of mortgage I'd get (in my favour I thought as I suddenly needed 10k less cash as the bank valued it higher), however they then had an issue with the ratio of money coming from savings vs 'gifts' and that was that apparently.
    Despite the fact that with the higher mortgage I would have needed far less money in 'gifts' as the mortgage would have covered more of the sales price.

Whole process was time based due to hoping my brother could live with me before he goes to the US for a bit, hopefully will still work out but yeah a real kick in the teeth. Multiple weeks to be told something I feel could have been automated and taken less than a minute! Extra annoying thing is I could probably afford payments double what the mortgage payments are going to be.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

The gift/savings thing is, bluntly, stupid. Fundamentally it's neither here nor there. FWIW, I'd be talking to a different provider.

13. Mister_Tad

I think most mortgage providers treat "gifts" the same, whether it makes sense or not. I kinda get it because it seems like there's a lot of shenanigans that could occur without checks and balances, or undisclosed private loans that impact one's ability to pay the mortgage, but at the same time, in lieu of such shenanigans, I agree - should be neither here nor there where the deposit comes from.

Three days before our move date we found out that our buyers had failed to declare a gift and submit the proper paperwork to the bank and it put the whole chain at risk of being tanked. Fortunately whatever they submitted was rushed through and checked out okay, but we didn't find that out until late on the day before the move (when 80% of our stuff was already in Pickfords trucks), and even then couldn't exchange until the following morning... i.e. the day of.

14. jinq-sea

Ah - I fear I read more into that. We canvassed a lot of providers during our recent buying experience, and some had outright weird regs about what was an acceptable 'gift' and what was not, namely the person from whom the gift was given and whether that was an 'appropriate' source. In addition, I understand anecdotally that some providers are weird about how much the applicant has 'saved' themselves vs. how much has been given to them - and this, really, is my gripe. If the money is given, fair and square and legitimately, then it matters not if it was saved/earned/given/won in some sort of competition/inherited from a relative popping their clogs.

Not declaring a gift is a real no-no! With my legal hat on, correct paperwork is absolutely key. I suspect it was very stressful for those twenty-four hours...

15. Mister_Tad

The way it was described to me by our mortgage guy when we found out, was that the provider takes personal savings as evidence of ongoing financial responsibility, whereas a gift/inheritance/win does not, and as such changes how they view the risk associated with the mortgage.

That's not to say it makes sense - because paying rent for the last X years should be evidence enough of ongoing financial responsibility, especially when the rent is often larger than the mortgage payment. That's just how it was explained to me.

16. GeorgeStorm

I can kind of see the logic in terms of as you said, huge gifts might actually be loans and therefore make the payee less likely to be able to afford the mortgage. But there was nothing said in advance that certain ratios had to be met or anything like that, so yeah. I didn't hide any money, but I did say it was all gift whereas I would be paying some of it back but thought that might hurt my chances so I said it was all a gift (despite as I said the mortgage monthly payments being much lower than my current rent and even lower than what I could easily afford!).

Maybe that has come back to bite me, but it was never suggested that a certain ratio is a no-go etc (as I said, with the increased valuation from the bank the ratio got better not worse as I needed less cash!)

17. Mister_Tad

Oh I hear you and I'm not defending it, just repeating what I was told by our own mortgage chap when querying just what the implications of our buyers situation was.

And this is what makes it particularly daft in your case.
    But much like insurers, they're never going to be up-front about the special sauce that goes into how they calculate risk.

18. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, was going from 30% to 20% of my currently monthly take home so very annoying. Hopefully not all doom and gloom though, got a call later to discuss next potential lenders to try, thing I really want to avoid is this same situation happening again another month down the line!

19. jinq-sea

It's a very stressful process! Fingers crossed you get it fixed up.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

"We lots of money from you to prove that you can afford this."
    "OK, but I've been paying rent on time every month for over a decade and this mortgage is cheaper than my rent."
    "That's just like, your opinion, man."