1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The revamp of the bedroom at my mother's continues. I needed a new chair. This Steelcase Let's B wrecks my ass. It also has no arms, and is unpleasantly hard. Solid, but very hard. That said it was £45 inc, so I can't complain. Initially I went to 2ndhnd again and lined up a chair for £350. Then I thought "Hmm, IKEA !". I have heard really good things about their chairs, and you don't need to whore yourself on the corner to pay for them. So in the end I got a chair, strongest looking blind I think I have ever seen and a rug. All for £269.

[​IMG]

Good thing is when I sit on my dirty foot and it inevitably becomes filthy like the yellow one I have now I can just take off the bottom fabric and lob it in the wash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tank blind. Needs to be with the wind we get down here.

[​IMG]

Might be to cover the several water cooling stains on the carpet :D

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because apparently the stress of the last year has put me in a position where it's possible to burn my scalp

Bazz likes this.
  3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

jesus **** i haven't slept properly in days i feel actually dying at the moment, to make it worse this week is my week off work and this heatwave breaks the day before i return.

will be watching the delivery date closely on this one.

[​IMG]

IanW and Bloody_Pete like this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, I'm massively glad I grabbed an aircon last year...

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I.. Did a silly.

I bought a Q5 v2 IPS panel for the GBC - Which means I will ultimately need to modify the Boxy Pixel chassis because the lense is laminated to the screen on these. It.. Also has a backlit GBC logo on the lens. No it's not necessary, my GBC functions perfectly as is, but shush you.

I also bought a GameBoy spares or repair from Japan (Even with shipping it was cheaper than the cheapest one otherwise..) and an IPS panel and new chassis for that. Do I need four gameboys? Not at all. Is the Pocket basically the DMG but small? Of course it is.

But I wanted an original size gameboy.

...I may have also seen someone mod a GBC into a Gameboy chassis. In the aftermath of this I'll have a DMG chassis that, while nasty, would serve that function rather well. I'd just need a GBC motherboard. But then I'd also need another GBC to mod the now surplus GBC IPS panel into so it's not languishing on the side.. Which would mean three GBC's to hand. Which might be too many for any one human.

Byron C likes this.
  6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I find the Gameboy modding scene fascinating, but I dare not go down that rabbit hole. It's the same as custom keyboards. Once you start digging yourself into that pit, there's no stopping.

Byron C likes this.
  7. liratheal

There really is no stopping.

I started with a screen mod on a GBA, then I had a GBC bought and a screen mod on that.. Before long I had Boxy Pixel aluminium chassis for the GBA and GBC. Factory seconds, but doing it 'normally' would be absurd money. Not that it wasn't already.

My Tetris machine, the GBC, has probably had almost as much money sunk into it as the MSRP for a Series S Xbox.

I dare say my GameBoy pile as a whole has had a scalped GPU spent on it..

yuusou likes this.
  8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

spends on the car so it passes it's MOT

Full service
    MOT
    Droplink
    [​IMG]

LennyRhys likes this.
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A little add-on for my "Perfect UK festival chair" (It has a roof and roll-up sidewalls for when it all gets a bit Glasto).
    A pair of 4-inch USB desk fans from "The Range" to clip under the roof and run from a USB battery pack.

[​IMG]

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Well finally ripped and earpad on my bose qc35's :(, not wanting to pay the £30 bose charge hoping these well-reviewed cheap alternatives are as good as folk say (hopefully not to many fake amazon reviews )

[​IMG]

And since I hate the touch buttons on my monitor for jumping back and forth hdmi's testing pcs and consoles and such I picked up this little guy, see how it goes. Apparently it does the advertised frame rates and resolutions according to the youtube review I watched, cant believe things like this are under a tenner now days
    [​IMG]

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

No need for the VGA, but the KM switch works well, so why not;
    [​IMG]

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Meaco 1056 fan. 'Tis a chonker, to be sure, and it chucks a fairly substantial bit of air around. Meaco was a brand recommended to me a while ago, and it seems to be living up to the hype - and the expense!

This is the last fan I want to buy, I will not give my money to Dyson under any circumstances. My OH keeps pushing back on getting an air conditioner, but if this fan doesn't help make this house tolerable in this kind of weather then we are getting an air conditioner! Maybe not now, maybe not until the weather cools off and people stop price-gouging, but if this fan doesn't help then we are getting one!

[​IMG]

And this... thing... Which technically isn't a purchase since it's part of a Virgin Media gigabit fibre contract I just signed up to. The other half is still working upstairs and she needs to finish... like... now.... Can't be managing with this pedestrian 250mbit crap when there's a gigabit contract to activate!

[​IMG]

Not a purchase yet, but... This month's payday is also half-year bonus day, and I'm planning to build a new PC for the OH. Sooooo tempting to chuck a massive upgrade into my PC and let her have my 'cast-off' parts - she still gets a colossal upgrade and I get shiny new toys... :grin: Either way it'll be a huge upgrade: minimum I'd bump her machine to is a Ryzen 5600 on a B550 board and currently she has a 4th-gen i5 in a pre-built Lenovo machine...

Last edited: 21 Jul 2021
    B1GBUD likes this.
  13. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Update!, both work extremely well. happy with the purchases :)

B1GBUD likes this.
  14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

First of a few purchases today, nailed it for just as the heatwave ends, borrowed the mothers its been a life saver at night

[​IMG]

Byron C likes this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I went and did it, didn't I...

Ryzen 9 5900X

[​IMG]

Asus ROG Strix X570-F

[​IMG]

Nice upgrade for me and the OH gets my 3900X and MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max - should see us both right for a good few years now. Can't get her a GPU upgrade just yet but my old 1060 6GB will be going in. The most intensive game she really plays is The Witcher 3, and a 1060 6GB will be more than adequate for that. It'll probably even manage Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p - I managed it at 1680*1050. Rest of the kit will be ordered next week.

liratheal, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  16. liratheal

To be fair, CP2077 plays pretty.. Passably these days. With most of the settings turned to eleven and raytracing on I still get a passable rate on the 6800 - But even without RT I got pretty passable performance on a 5700XT at the same res - 2560x1440. It's not locked 60, but honestly the majority of the time that's so not necessary on 2077.

Byron C likes this.
  17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I didn't play it at release, but I played it with a 1060 6GB before a lot of the "really big" updates lately and while it was still suspended from sale on last-gen consoles. I don't think my OH really has any interest in playing Cyberpunk 2077 TBH :grin:. But a 1060 6GB backed by a 3700X will do her absolutely fine! :grin:

Irritatingly the 5900X doesn't come with a cooler, which I didn't realise. I'm not ordering the rest of the parts until next week, so I guess at least I get time to back up my PC before wiping & re-installing!

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Comes with pretty strong cooling requirements, at this level the expectation is you will have something hardcore to maximize clockspeed/boost profiles.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I mean I'm ordering an AIO with a 360 rad next week. Even if it had a stock cooler, I've no immediate desire to rush in and swap over right now since I'd be holding it back with only 16GB RAM - again, I'm ordering more RAM next week :thumb:.

I'm also picking up 3 new 120mm fans, as well as the AIO. The 3070TI chucks a *lot* of hot air around and needs a plenty of fresh air...

Edit: the frustration is that I can't at least test it to make sure it's not FOA!

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I always wonder how people can play 3D games below 60 FPS. The only games I'm able to suffer this are isometric (A)RPG like Diablo. As soon as an action game in 3D goes below 60 for just an instant I usually lower settings. The stutter is too much for me. Then again, I usually play fast shooters with every at low or lower where possible to get as many frames as possible.