1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slambittech, 12 Aug 2021.

1. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Hi All,

I have been thinking about building a new build now, but been out of this game for a year or so, is the gpu situation still a issue? Hard to find stock anywhere.

Anyways I have made a build:

1. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
    2. Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    3. Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
    4. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
    5. Sabrent Rocket Q 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    6. Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card
    7. Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
    8. Corsair RMx 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
    What do you think of this? Part picker suggest a price of £2772.47. which I am ok with but obviously some savings if possible if some bits can be changed or even provide better value for money.
    Any improvements or changes one should make?

Pcpartpicker says something are imcompatible: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4LRyYg
    Is there a problem?
    Whats the alternative to the GPU? Should I go another route?
    Mainly will be used for streaming and gaming.

Thanks

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The list is fine as in it'll all work together and perform well, parts won't bottleneck each other etc.

As for the compatibility things:
    1: That board supports bios flashback, so you can update the bios to a compatible version (if it would happen to ship with a very old one) without problems, so not an issue.
    2: I've checked the specs on the Asus website and it does have more than enough USB headers to hook up all the front usb ports.
    3: It'll all fit fine dimensions wise.

I'd swap the SSD for a TLC one like for example a Corsair MP510 or WD SN750.

If you wanted a different GPU the alternatives would be the RTX 3080TI / RTX 3090, but the 3090 is significantly more expensive for microscopic gains, so that would leave the RTX 3080TI at about the same price as the 6900XT as an alternative from the green camp.

In terms of performance between the 3080TI and 6900XT ii is basically a toss up and the result will mostly depend on which card is favoured by a particular game.
    If you care about Ray Tracing however then the 3080TI would be the better choice, but if you don't then either is perfectly fine.

If you wanted to knock off some money you could look at the Ryzen 5800X and RX6800XT instead, when it comes to gaming performance you really wouldn't lose much while saving a couple hundred.

3. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check out the TLC ones? What is TLC btw? Thanks for giving me some examples so i can check them out.
    Will check out 3080TI or RTX3090, but I think the RTX3090 will put me over budget.

Thanks

4. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Yeah I think I will go with the Corsair MP510, thanks

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

TLC = Triple level cell
    QLC = Quad level cell

It refers to how many bits are stored per cell.

The problem is that QLC tends to have worse endurance than TLC and also worst case scenario performance is worse than with TLC NAND.

In return for those drawbacks QLC is supposed to be cheaper, but in reality that benefit doesn't really materialize as TLC based drives like for example the MP510 are very close in price to QLC based ones.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I got a pair of Sabrent 1TB Rocket SSDs (TLC) for less than the QLC Rocket-Q drives. Well, I got them a LOT cheaper because there was a deal on at the time, but the pre-discount price was cheaper than the QLC drives.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2021
  7. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

If you're thinking about value for money, I don't think buying the very top end chips while supply isn't exactly abundant is a brilliant choice. Though if you want the best of the best then that's what you'd be getting!

8. TechBuggy

TechBuggy What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, assuming i start with all the components for a 6 gpu rig, am i able to connect just 2 out of the 6 gpus and add the other 4 later? Tyvm

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You'd be better off starting your own thread :)

But to answer your question, you'd need to leave them out of the PC but there's no reason you can't add them later on. That is assuming you have enough PCI-E slots, physical space, and power connectors for them all.

TechBuggy likes this.
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The 6900XT is the least overpriced GPU in the current situation.

When lower mid range cards are 700 - 1000 instead of 300...
    then by comparison 1100 - 1200 instead of 1000 for the halo product ain't bad.

11. TechBuggy

TechBuggy What's a Dremel?

Haha, yeah, but thanks for the honest answer!!! :read:

12. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Yeah, went with the 6900XT for this reason. Thanks
    Manage to get for just over 1000 including del.