1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ITX Anonymous Club

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 11 Jun 2016.

1. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

So I picked up a b450i aorus itx something or other. Now just looking for a CPU/APU. Plenty of RGB and enough space inside to get the ball rolling for a small form factor system that I can through an rtx3050 in as / when they make them available.

If for the kids so if gaming doesn't go beyond roblux or what ever it's called then the APU may just do the trick.

Case is pretty smart, had it for absolutely ages and done nothing with it but quite a nice little box for the money.

Metallicgear Neo Mini V2 in silver. Anyone used or seen one? Seems to be a phanteks sub brand of sorts.

kenco_uk likes this.
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

IMG_18082021_124109_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Just arrived. Excite!

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Those panels look really good Dave.
    Cleaner than mine came out.
    Hoping to test build this week...

4. David

There's an additional plate in there too - no holes or anything just a plain blank plate.

Looking forward to playing with this.

5. Arboreal

The fully blank one is the front panel, those are what was missing in my delivery of 2 sets.
    Glad to see you got the exclusive 'B-T Crew Edition' rear panel that I designed and @M_D_K drew and cut for us.
    It looks like we don't have to improvise on the PCIe (GPU) top clamp as it seems to be in the bag of bits, which I missed initially :thumb:

David likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Y
    Yeah the PCIE clamp is the L profile with two holes in. You use the thumb screws to the attach it to the case

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Call me ignorant, but what case is that? It looks fun.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

"Alright you CIS-male, protesting outside a women's health clinic!"

But back to your request, its made by a German guy who lives in China. I have my main build in this case. I love it, dual 280mm rad support, 3090 support 20L.

[​IMG]

You can buy it pre-manufactured: http://shop.revoccases.com/?product...-maximum-flexibility-for-high-end-hardware-in

Or in a kit form and get it laser cut yourself (That's what @David and @Arboreal have done)

If you are really interested drop me a PM, I have a prototype case I could pass on.

Arboreal and David like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Right the GPU in this is now refusing to run PUBG at all. Long story, VRAM issue. Otherwise I would have been happy enough with this, but it wouldn't run on air AT ALL.

[​IMG]

And thus a year ago I made Julies pants.

[​IMG]

Which has been fine. However, a recent PUBG update now crashes Erangel (one of the maps) no matter what VRAM speed. I think it is back to being VRAM heat. They run viciously hot. So, given I needed a new GPU I got one I know should work perfectly on air cooling. Like the 2080Ti would have had the VRAM not been stuffed. So I gots a 6700xt 12gb Strix for £350.

[​IMG]

I got a new case 1/4 of the size of Julies pants.

[​IMG]

And will be running my 650w Supernova Eco. Because of that I can only use a 120mm AIO

[​IMG]

That said I have seen people run 3950x on slim coolers and Wraiths, so I am pretty sure it will be fine. Both the case and the cooler were B grade. Cooler is still fully sealed with all of the EK seals, so that is brand new. Case looks like new, however.. I soon found out these GPUS don't fit in this case. I then realised over half of the internal parts had been removed. When I got to the IO panel? it had the wrong screws in. No damage I could not fix. It also had 8 sheared screws from where the guy had used the wrong screwdriver. Ends were gouged to death. Got them all out. I still, to this moment, do not know how I managed this but I am one of a small few.

[​IMG]

There seem to be a pattern of events that if you do them all exactly right it will actually go in. That said it was such a pain in the cock I am not taking it out now. So I cleaned it in situ.

Do love this. This is the bit where I usually scrape and cut myself the most tbh. Connecting **** up at the end.

[​IMG]

So aye, gorgeous little case and finally the worthy "Mini Me" to the beast.

[​IMG]

Rest is a 3950x, X570-i, 16gb Dom Capellix, two 1gb NVME (on the board, no spinners or static SSDs at all) and yeah, should make a really nice pocket rocket with a GPU that actually works properly and will run happily on its air cooler. It should, it's the biggest damn air cooler I have ever seen !

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Cute! I think worry about coolers is overblown (ho ho), I've been running a i5-3470 for about 8 years and then an i5-9400f for a year, both on a noctua L9i in a really cramped ITX case. Zero issues, it doesn't even get that hot.

It's interesting psychologically, how consumers set their preferences by identifying the median point in the range of available options and then creeping left or right from it depending on how pedestrian or pro they consider themselves, rather than identifying their needs and choosing the product that meets them. There are 120, 240 and 360 AiO rads available, so the naff option must be the 120 and the all rounder must be the 240. Except CPUs have gotten better on thermals and perfomance and cooling tech has improved, and any AiO is a blingy optional extra. You can game on a 75mm air cooler. Cars are the same. Modern dull commuter hatchbacks have more horsepower than many classic sports cars that were once lusted after. Sporty vehicles now range from 200 to 500bhp. So the average Joe decides he wants about 240bhp, even though he rarely exceeds the driving style facilitated by 85bhp.

Tangents! But yeah. Your 120mm will be fine. Welcome to the tiny PC master race. Keep your intakes clean.

11. Vault-Tec

It's difficult to find reviews of 120mm AIOs now. Mostly because 240mm has become the accepted size.

They are much better than they were before. I found out that turning PBO on was a waste of time, as it guzzled power, got hot, and didn't really do much else. Deffo didn't help performance much if at all. It's not a mega hot CPU and never was tbh. It is the top bin, so doesn't run much hotter than the 3900x.

12. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I had a 5900X running under an L9a for a while, it was absolutely fine, just wouldn't boost very high.

Vault-Tec and Arboreal like this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Got these. Cheap. Am going to call it the Antichrist lol.

[​IMG]

14. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I realised I didn't post up here when I built up my NFC S4Mini earlier this year. I'm really impressed with the performance of the i3 12100, it's undervolted a bit and very happy under the L9i. Great for messing around with a bit of CS:GO and has easily handled all the older Tomb Raider titles that've I've replayed recently.
    Cables could be tidier admitedly.

Still waiting for a really good APU to come to use in the S4Tiny though...

Arboreal, MLyons and Vault-Tec like this.
  15. David

Have you seen the a2000 mod in the s4tiny, think it was up on YouTube.

Arboreal likes this.
  16. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Yep, there are two, the one Josh produced and then the ‘souped up’ version with the shunt-modded A2000. I think that might be a bit advanced for me though!

Arboreal likes this.
  17. David

18. Arboreal

Looking good, how's the Flex PSU noise? I had a slightly bigger case and with an i5 4670 and 1050Ti it was too noisy to bear

19. David

Can't hear it. It's a Seasonic unit so maybe they spent more than a quid on the fan :)

The A2000 is probably the noisiest component. Well, noisy is a bit strong... audible is better. It's still ok, and not distracting, but I can't hear it with my headphones on anyway.

Arboreal likes this.
  20. Arboreal

Seasonic should be good. FSP wasn't good at all under load. Maybe I'll revisit it with a better PSU sometime.