1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch Zelda: tears of the Kingdom

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The_Crapman, 15 Jun 2021.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thought I'd get a thread on this started. Here's what we've seen so far.

Looks like links arm augmentation as shown in creating a champion is definitely a thing as shown in the new sneak peak. Wild theories will be abound for the next 12 months or so till the game releases, here's mine:

I'm betting on actual time travel, traveling back to a time that's not too long after skyward sword (in terms of Zelda chronology anyway, makes some sense to the HD release) where the islands above hyrule have descended to where they're not that far above it anymore. That's why you "couldn't see them" in botw, because they had completely fallen and were part of the landscape of hyrule by then.

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Should probably try and play the first one no?

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The first one is a brilliant and beautiful game. It can be as fast paced or as slow paced as you want.

4. The_Crapman

Not necessarily, if you've played a Zelda before you get the gist of it. Although a "sequel", how much of it is a direct continuation of that story remains to be seen. Breath of the Wild was VERY different from any of it's predecessors in general gameplay mechanics however, so definitely worth a playthrough. It's an open world sandbox game, so imagine a ubisoft open world sandbox game (assassin's creed, division, far cry) map full of mission flags, go here do this thing, then this, you can't do that yet etc., then imagine the complete opposite of that. That's BotW. You can start the game and pretty much immediately go to the endgame boss fight (current wr is 25min and that's without the OOT style glitching to skip huge sections of the game), or spend a few hundred hours exploring every nook and cranny before going to fight the boss.

yuusou and MadGinga like this.
  5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

upload_2021-6-16_0-23-48.png

If you hear the sound you know what kind of player you are.

Hex likes this.
  6. The_Crapman

I liked to throw rocks at the little goits.

Totally forgot to add in my hypothesis that as a time travelling episode it will add a divergence point for the timeline. Possibly convergence for the 3 timelines too.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2021
  7. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz What's a Dremel?

I still haven't complete the first game on Wii U. Much rather play this series and many other games on the Wii U. Love the controller. Still though I am happy my brother gets another game that is worth playing the Nintendo Switch.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

pondering this the other day when some theory video was going on about the 3 timelines being brought back to a single timeline, that really would be an impossibility. While they could converge and each of the 3 could eventually reach the same events far into the future, that doesn't mean they're the same timeline, they are still 3 different realities that exist outside of each other.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I still haven't finished BotW because I just ended up treating it like Skyrim and dicked around for countless hours...

Maybe its time to change that:hehe:

10. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

It's not like there is much that you have to do in it, in terms of "finishing" it. I think you were playing it exactly the way it was intended!

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I did pretty much that - spent 150 hours dicking around until I ran out of things to do and was then just... "whelp, I guess I'll go beat the boss and finish the game now"
    And honestly it was kind of disappointing all in all - nothing about the game, the boss or anything else content-wise was disappointing - the fact that it all culminated as a "eh, I guess that's that then" sort of moment.

It's not a totally dissimilar feeling to when I finish a Bethesda RPG or Witcher for instance, difference being that there's no story-based motivation to go to the end-game in BoTW - so I did basically everything and was effectively bored of finding the last few Koroks by the time I went to the "go here to finish game" place for the big finale. Whereas with the other games I would finish the main quest a bit earlier whilst there's still some side quests and other things left to do just out of a motivation to finish the story, and then after I've "finished" mop up everything else and then eventually just stop once my motivation to wring the last bits of content out of the game reached zero..

I absolutely loved BoTW, which is why I think it was so extra "meh" when I eventually finished it, and I think on balance I'd prefer the other type where I just eventually stop playing because I'm bored/finished and not decide to finish the game once I'm bored.

The trailer doesn't have me waiting on the edge of my seat really... reminds me of mechanics from previous Zelda games that didn't do it for me (Skyward Sword and Majoras Mask). I've been burned by too many Zelda games that didn't live up to anything near my expectations, which is probably why I didn't play BoTW until last summer.

12. The_Crapman

Yeh i found the end underwhelming. I can't really remember it greatly as was a couple of years since i played it and the switch has gone back to my brother so i can't even replay it, but the boss itself was like a 5 years olds drawing. seeing as it's all just faceless malice, i didn't feel anything towards it. as everything was all in the memory cutscenes, it hadn't really done anything to "me" or anyone that i'd interacted with while playing. It's like if a friend has a relative die that you had never met, you feel sad for your friend but have no feelings towards the actual person that died.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not what you could call a Zelda fan, but it is a pretty good game. I'd say it's one of my preferred games on the Portable DOOM Machine.

14. The_Crapman

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza dear Liza. My mate is playing it already lol.

16. The_Crapman

Stores have the physical copies already, so that's not surprising in the least. The switch emulator has apparently got a lot better/faster now too. I'm a mild Nintendo fanboy (the only console I've not owned is the wiiU) so I don't mind paying. Pretty much game entirely on my switch now anyway.

17. veato

veato I should be working

I never finished BOTW. Had it on Wii U which I no longer have and didn't want to shell out another £40ish quid to get it on Switch. I don't suppose it's going to stop me getting this though.

18. keef247

keef247 Modder

Buy a second hand battered boxed copy for wiiu off ebay, then play it on your pc with emulation and then clean conscious?

You must be the only person that loves the wiiu controller haha

19. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Looks like they nailed it again from the reviews - can’t wait to sink my teeth into this. And with the switch being portable, phwoar! Perhaps we really do live in the best of times :D

20. The_Crapman

Got confirmation mine is being delivered tomorrow. The unfortunate thing is I live quite near to the DPD depot, so probably get it before 10 and have to wait all day to play.