1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to allow unsupported PCs to install Windows 11

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 30 Aug 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Not getting driver updates isn't so troublesome as that can be done manually - unless Microsoft force manufacturers to only release Windows 11 drivers through "approved channels" (read: Windows Store) but no security updates? Did anyone at Microsoft with two brain cells to rub together think that one through? If you thought the bad press was bad before, wait until the less technology oriented media start reporting waves and waves of malware infections, targetting everything from banks to charities to government services to just the poor random who was unlucky enough to be a target. Microsoft has spent a lot of time and money over the last decade and more trying to overcome their reputation as the infected pustule of the operating system world both in improving security and in marketing. And other products will be caught in the halo - if Windows is again viewed as a steaming pile of donkey turd, Office 365 (minus random downtime), Azure and so on will be looked at with similar suspicion.

I guess they hope that by 2025 enough people will have needed new computers that it won't actually be an issue.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

My XP rig with a full pre- subscription Adobe suite runs great. I hope it burns their biscuits. Meanwhile, the last system I built updated and windows stated it was 'end of life.' :eyebrow:
    ...Remember when they said 10 was the last version of windows?

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Eugh.

I understand the outrage of unsupported PC owners, of which I might be one, but kowtowing to the demands is what makes Windows a pile of arse to troubleshoot - Narrow down the hardware window ffs.Trying to appease everyone and every device is a fools errand.

5. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

My biggest issue is the potential amount of ewaste ceasing win10 support will generate. The average consumer will just junk an 'old' perfectly usable laptop (I know a lot do anyway) because of a lack of alternative OS after 2025 in the panic of no more support.

My laptop's coming on for 10 years old now, and with Manjaro on it does everything I need, as snappily as I need. It's just a touch on the heavy side.

I hope M$ at least continue with security patches after support ceases.

6. EasterEEL

EasterEEL What's a Dremel?

What a load of nonsense. As if Microsoft really want millions of PC's running Windows 11 without security patching, propagating viruses and infecting other PC's.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Maybe they see it as an improvement over having millions of PC's running Windows XP / Vista / 8 with ancient security patches?

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Let's make the world more secure by enforcing a tpm requirement. Now Let's make the world even more secure by allowing installs with no security updates.

I don't believe they are actually going to do this. That's not a statement of shock. I don't think they will actually roll out Windows 11 like that.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I sympathize, but I still want a big do-not-press but that lets me try to install Windows 11 on a Pentium I.
    S mode for Windows 10 actually seems like a fairly sensible approach. Make the "I know what I'm doing" option scary and irreversible, rather than a quick toggle on/off.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2021
  10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I fail to see how that is an improvement - an OS that is not receiving updates is an OS that is not receiving updates, regardless of age. Given the regularity with which critical security patches are released (e.g.: print spooler fun recently) anyone not receiving security updates on Windows 11 is just as vulnerable as those few holdouts still running XP, Vista, 7 or 8.

Tags: Add Tags