1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I pulled the trigger (well, clicked the mouse). I sent off my resignation/retirement notice today. I am retiring from the NHS.

[​IMG]

MLyons, Vault-Tec, trigger and 11 others like this.
  2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Congrats! So how soon before you move back to the mainland?

3. Nexxo

Hopefully by middle of next year. Depends on how quickly we manage to sell up (apparently there is a steady queue forming of neighbour's friends who are interested) and find something that fits what we're looking for. We've got our eyes on a few properties already.

MLyons, Vault-Tec, IanW and 3 others like this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Congrats Nexxo, I hope your escape goes to plan.

Nexxo likes this.
  5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

So what you’re really saying is that you’re removing the distraction from finishing Metaversa?

Nexxo, yuusou and perplekks45 like this.
  6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Somebody else has already dug the tunnel out, he should be OK ... hope he's got some ink so he can dye his clothes first though or they'll spot him straight away.

Nexxo likes this.
  7. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Well as he has to find a property, buy a property, move to said property, decorate, get settled, get his Apiary set up, get a workshop up and running, sort out a few farm yard animals and their living arrangements, deal with the French paperwork and bureaucracy etc. I'd imagine that there is a good chance that the heat death of the universe may occur before "Metaversa" is finished. :p

Nexxo, perplekks45 and Arboreal like this.
  8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

But you’re saying there is a chance?

Nexxo likes this.
  9. Nexxo

Thank you!

I decided that my NHS career keeps interfering with my computer modding, so it had to go.

Well, yeah I guess there's that I suppose...
    [​IMG]
    :hehe::hehe::hehe:

10. walle

walle Minimodder

Good for you Nexxo. :thumb:

Hope you'll find a suitable piece of land.

Nexxo likes this.
  11. Nexxo

Same energy:
    [​IMG]

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Every tech support bone in my tech support body is screaming that you must be confusing Mb and MB, because 100MB/s download speeds are, frankly, offensive. As in, I'm offended you're not hosting charity runs where you let deprived rural gamers bring their PCs to your address for drop-in download sessions. (I'm only half-joking, because this actually is a service I've offered at my work on occasion. One dude had a download estimate of 2 weeks for Doom 2016. He paid me for an hour of my internet.)
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh just word to the wise, make sure your other half is 100% clear on exactly how you're going to do this and what it'll look like. I planned exactly the same sort of bodge once. Wrote a thread about it on here and everything. Got the circular saw bits out, started drilling, Mrs freaked out: "why are you cutting through the carpet?!" (Said carpet is disgusting and ancient and covered by various bits of furniture and junk, but hey ho.) She had assumed I was planning some kind of incredibly tidy, discreet solution that would be barely visible once finished. The sight of an actual hole in the actual floor was too much for her. Your mileage may vary.
    It was absolutely a joke, and entirely at the expense of and insinuation towards HMRC, not yourself! The implication was that they can't help sticking their oar in as soon as you have substantial amounts of cash involved in your business. Not that you cook said cash.

Although most small businesses I've spoken to since I went self-employed have glibly admitted to cooking some, half, most or all of their cash. I have mixed feelings about it. I specifically avoid commenting on my own books for obvious reasons, but part of me does begrudge the fact that the govt feel it's terribly important to try to recoup a few million a year chasing down thousands of domestic-scale self-employed and small business owners, but are happy to let Amazon et al wander off to tax havens with literally billions in avoided tax.

But I digress. None of this is making anyone's life awesome, and belongs in the other thread -_-
    Being dependent upon the NHS for my healthcare, I'm sorry it came to this. But also, knowing several people who are in the NHS, I'm happy for you that you're out. It's hard to condone staying on a sinking ship. It's also hard not to resent the lifeboats when you're chained to the ship, as we all are.

trigger likes this.
  13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well me and my parents all decided to stop smoking.

Parents used Zyban and I said to them that I will wait for them to fully stop but will not smoke around them etc and once they both said they were fine I said I would stop.

Sunday 29th August was the last day of smoking for me.

Had my last cig at about 6pm that Sunday night and that was it.

Not had a single cig since then so over a week now.

Not had a single craving either nor has it bothered me or made me want one when I have been around people smoking.

One thing I have noticed though is that I did like the taste of Tea with no sugar, I no longer like the taste of Tea really and Milk doesn't taste right.

My brother and sister have also decided to stop and my sister has but my brother has not yet.

Nexxo, ElThomsono and David like this.
  14. Nexxo

I feel in equal measures guilty and relieved. Guilty because I'm leaving a whole team of colleagues who are working hard in difficult circumstances to deliver a good service to patients, and I'm a Lead, damn it, and relieved because for the first time in nearly 30 years, I am starting to feel that I just can't do this job anymore.

I have never felt like that before. Perhaps just a good holiday would sort me out; perhaps I'm just working in a particularly difficult environment (it's difficult being the mental health professional in a physical health organisation. You carry all the psychological distress for it, that in a mental health setting would be spread over many shoulders. And during COVID there has been a lot to carry). But I feel... worn thin. Normally I'm the one who stays and listens. Lately, I'm starting to feel the urge to tune out. Run. And that is not good at all.

15. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Found a place in Brighton, signed the paperwork blah blah today. Hopefully moving in two weeks

IanW and Byron C like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope, I do really mean 90-100 megaBYTES per second from Steam... :thumb: Or if you really want to be pedantic it's roughly 85-95 mebibytes (MiB) per second :grin:

It's nice and all, but virgin media are honestly a rip off compared to many other providers. Every silver lining has a cloud. Or something...

17. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

This is my Steam download rate at pretty much anytime of the day.

[​IMG]

The only thing that annoys me about Virgin Media for broadband is not being 1:1 for upload and download speeds but then not many ISP's offer 1:1 residential packages either, but they are the only ISP where I live that can offer me over 50Mb download speeds.

18. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I suppose I should mention the good points too, Lazy spring, summer and autumn evenings in the Garden, Good food, excellent and cheap options for eating out, Amazing hiking straight out the door for most rural properties in this area, great local bakeries and patisseries (just do your research which is fun in and of itself), lots of historic buildings, friendly locals (our neighbours are fantastic), great cycling (and local drivers are considerate too). Lots of local markets with good produce (once the vendors know you as a regular). In short lots of good things to keep you out the workshop as well as the less fun stuff I mentioned earlier. :D

Also I forgot to mention Synchronous 1 Gigabit Fibre or 2GB down 0.6GB up, to quite a lot of the local area.

Nexxo likes this.
  19. Nexxo

I can't wait!
    [​IMG]

20. walle

walle Minimodder

You've put 30 years of your life into the health profession and dealt with other peoples problems, besides, I think it's a normal reaction and right out healthy for your brain/mind to wind down a bit to prepare for 'civilian' life.

Gotta let the 'machine' rest and recharge Nexxo.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2021
    Nexxo likes this.