1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EVGA X570 (AMD) Dark motherboard launched at US$690

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Sep 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Someone on Tom's Hardware pointed out that the logo on the heatsink, looks more like DORK than DARK. Can't unsee that now...

monty-pup likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

/me files under "HOW MUCH???!?!!?!?! :jawdrop:"

EDIT: Not mentioned in the article:- This is an E-ATX mobo.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2021
    DeViLzzz and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. von_stylon

von_stylon uber micro

Why only 2 dimms? :eyebrow:

DeViLzzz likes this.
  5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

So you can super OC it, as supposedly fitting 4 DIMMS can limit maximum 'OC powah' in that sort of setup.
    A bit limiting and niche, methinks

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Really nice board, I like the rotated socket and dimm, works well on my nas x570 board, dual 2.5G is nice but at this price point could have been 10G, I do like the reset CMOS on the rear plate and internal power and reset buttons, my gigabyte board does not have this and I miss it a lot particularly when dicking about with memory on the bench, came in really handy on my x399. Nice to have some cooling fans on the vrms too.

2 dimms is fine, I only have 4 dimms as I have come down from quad to dual channel and reused, 4 dimms tend to lead to lower clocks, in my asrock I cannot do more than 2933 but 2 sticks will do 3200 as it doesn't have fancy OC options.

I would have bought 2 fast dimms for my gaming desktop for higher clocks/lower latency etc, not done too bad with 4 dimms at 3933 though, 4 oc'd dimms in a stack like I have do heat up, not sure how the rotated dimms would cool in a typical case like mine, I have a ram cooler that comes on to keep them under 50C.

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Not been featured in any records yet...

Given how 4 dimms populated shows a small improvement over 2 dimms in a fair few benchmarks, why would 2 dimms be a think on such a board? Just wire it so the closest 2 dimms are the two to populate for frequency and latency based fund and the two further away are for everything else.. might get some records then.

8. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz What's a Dremel?

Paying $690 US for a motherboard with only 2 dimms is ridiculous. Bad enough paying $690 US but geeze. Also as for any overclocking well overclocking hardly gets you much these days so another reason to not spend an idiotic amount on a mobo. Honestly this just points to the direction pc gaming is headed and it is that it is going right down the toilet. The greed of these companies is ridiculous.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's almost like they didn't want to make a high-end AMD board after all, so are trying to price themselves out of the market.

DeViLzzz likes this.
  10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

It's 4 rank vs 2 rank that gives the small improvement. You can buy dual rank memory sticks giving same performance as 4 single rank sticks.

It's all about signal termination. This is why manuals always say to insert the sticks at furtherest away slots for each channel. Also, dual slots give best possible signal quality because there won't be any interference picked up by unpopulated sockets

Personally, I like the fact it's something completely different. It's not another carbon copy of every other motherboards out there that only differentiate itself with PCIe configuration and ArrrrGeeBee.

Also interesting that it's not a x570s but it hasn't got a chipset fan.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My asrock board is the same, interestingly my x570s gigabyte board has exactly the same chipset ID, makes me think that these S chips have been out in the wild for sometime with manufacturers.

It's a niche board for a niche audience, I can't imagine they expect to sell many hence the price.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2021
  12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if X570s was literally just a binned und undervolted X570 tbh.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Seems quite nice.

Tags: Add Tags