1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Easy Anti-Cheat arriving on Linux is a boon for the Steam Deck

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Sep 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This is brilliant, this'll probably fix over half the top played steam games that don't work via Proton.

3. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Yes, super news!

I think I won't ever quite be able to fully dispose of a Windows drive though - there is always this or that utility or even entire platform (Oculus) that won't make the switch.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

BattlEye enters the chat

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I agree with Epic Games, chatting should be totally outlawed in game - and eating too, you shouldn't be allowed to eat while gaming either.

7. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I’m happy to have Windows as my main PC. With a Linux Steam Deck. And if Valve pushes for a main Linux console too, out goes Sony PS’s.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It already did. Project Steam Box. Like the DirectX Box that became the Xbox, but... Steam. The Steam Box became Steam Machines, built by third-party partners... and they were just PCs with a custom Linux and Steam pre-loaded. Literally.

I did a group test for Linux User & Developer back in 2015. They were fine for 1080p gaming of the era, but with not much room to upgrade owing to the very cramped cases.

Maybe if the Steam Deck does well Valve'll have another crack, but I dunno - once burnt twice shy, and all that. Maybe they'll just make a Switch style dock for the Steam Deck instead...

9. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

It already didn’t though. As you say, Steam Box became Steam Machines by 3rd parties. Valve hasn’t done it, yet.

I would say the spiritual successor to the non-existent Steam Box is more likely the Steam Deck. I’d bet the main console is still in their labs as a going concern. Especially with the glowing reception the Steam Deck has enjoyed so far.

They haven’t been burnt … yet. Long may this new direction last!

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'd take that bet. A handheld is one thing, 'cos you're basically going up against Nintendo's Switch and a bunch of weird Chinese Windows handheld things (and that crowdfunded one I used to cover on 'ere every time yet another delay was announced - did that ever come out?), but a console's going up against Sony and Microsoft *and* arguably Nintendo's Switch.

Fiver to charity if Valve does or doesn't launch something recognisable as a first-party games console - whether a PC or actual application-specific hardware - in the next... 18 months? 24?

damien c likes this.
  11. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Make that 5 years. And yes I’m betting on it. If they don’t, I’ve saved myself £500-£600. If they do, Happy Days!

Steam, Controller, Link, SteamOS, Index, SteamDeck. They’re not stopping :)

12. Gareth Halfacree

I mean... they've discontinued the Steam Controller and the physical Steam Link hardware - and SteamOS as-was is dead, too: it's based on Debian 8 "Jessie" which went EOL in June last year, while Valve's SteamOS apt repos haven't seen an update since 2019.

Sure, there'll be something on the Steam Deck - but it's not SteamOS as we know it, and there's no sign it'll be made available to install on your own hardware like SteamOS was.

13. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

The controller is kinda included in the SteamDeck to some degree with those two pads and improved haptic feedback.. Steam Link progressed to become software and you can now install it on mobile phones and even AppleTV. Fairly certain SteamDeck will be running code used in SteamOS and since improved on.

I would take a wild guess that Remote Play Together also reuses at least a bit of the streaming code from Link.

14. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz What's a Dremel?

Not enough to get me to buy this. Don't care about anti-cheat for this really as I play single player games on a portable. Other things need to be improved with the gadget for me to really care.

Tags: Add Tags