1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Have you tried reaching out to new people?

2. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

the millionth failed resin xp2 test on my photon. I dunno if im not leveling it right or what but im at my wits end with it :( ...... maybe resin printing is not for me since id be better lighting my resin on fire

3. Nexus17

Nexus17 What's a Dremel?

Have you tried the Flint Read method?

I've never had too much trouble with the paper approach but lots of resin folks swear by FR.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

3 petrol stations checked in the local area and nothing at all. All closed up. Car's on it's last reserves so trying further afield may well result in me getting stuck if the station that I'm heading to is also out. I should have JUST enough to get to the garage for the car's MOT tomorrow, but I may have to Fred Flintstone it to the local petrol station when they have some... (Need to see if I can get a fuel can, although no doubt they are all sold out or being scalped too)

Far too many dumb, scared fudgers about these days. A person might well be all sorts of smart, but you get them as a group, even group-thinking, and they don't half get stupid.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

A person is smart. People are dumb

trigger likes this.
  6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Terry Pratchett, Maskerade
    "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters.”

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I took it to be a reference to Men in Black: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

IanW, mrlongbeard and _crazy_crazy_ like this.
  8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm not sure I'd make that generalisation.

perplekks45 likes this.
  9. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Yeah tried both methods. I think the issue is the previous owner sanded the build plate, it is level but im assuming its to smooth for adhesion. I will rough it up at the weekend and if no job the 3 in 1 drip oil is getting used, i bought an easy eleveler from samual jackson that will be here this week and take alot of the leveling group work out of it

10. Almightyrastus

Yup, that's pretty much it. I do a lot of work with risk assessing buildings for lightning protection, and I also train people to do the same. One of the weighting factors in that assessment is based on the panic level associated with crowds or occupants of different amounts, and the more people you get, the higher the panic level goes. I use that analogy a lot when explaining that section to people during the training - "one or two people are generally pretty good when it comes to getting out of somewhere, but you get a load of them together and they ain't half stupid".

Gets a laugh during the training (always a good thing, the subject can be a bit dry...), but people know exactly what I mean.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

C**k-brained panic buyers rinsing the fuel supply. You'd think they would have ****ing learned after the toilet paper fiasco, but apparently ****ing not.

Our car is fine, still more than half a tank left and we don't tend to go very far. But after going to Uni today I basically can't use the bike now until I KNOW I can get fuel somewhere.

12. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Yep, the 'boy' is going home to Cardiff from Newport now and needs fuel in 60 miles time, he has to get to work and MOT tomorrow and home again.

In other related news, I managed to siphon about 8L of petrol out of my car that's going to the scrappy for them to sell on rather than break.
    The engine fault looked to be more than half the car's value and I think it had gearbox problems building.

13. Almightyrastus

The really frustrating bit about all this for me is that I only need £20 worth and I am good for the week at least. We are both working at home all week with the only trip I need to do being to get the MOT done tomorrow. Really hoping that I can get there and back OK.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks to my other half being in some local facebook groups we discovered that a local Texaco had some stock in. I was limited to £30, but on the bike that's a smidgen under a full tank and it'll do me for a couple of weeks.

I accidentally ended up with that E10 muck though because Texaco's branding is very confusing and I didn't look at the numbers on the pump properly (there was a big queue, I was trying to be quick!). Not a huge concern; officially my bike is compatible with E10 (as are all Hondas made for the EU market since 1993) but I would just prefer to avoid any risk at all, if I can. I don't mind paying for "premium" fuel at all, for the amount my bike actually needs it makes hardly any difference at all to the cost.

It's a total first-world problem for me, after today I don't need to be able to drive anywhere until at least next week. I'm going in to the office for the next couple of days, but I can just as easily work from home. It's the sensationalised reporting driving people to panic buy that gets on my nerves.

15. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I read earlier that the AA have encountered a huge surge in misfueling where people have been buying fuel in a hurry and feeling under pressure. I only did it once on my old low tech diesel and stopped quickly.
    It was fine at <25% petrol in diesel and topped up as soon as there was room.

Modern common rail diesel wouldn't stand a chance.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2021
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TBH it does not surprise me that more people are putting the wrong fuel in.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Spent several minutes trying to figure out why my triple screen rig (which I actually haven't used in a year :nono:) wasn't connecting its USB devices.

Turns out I'd forgotten to simply plug the other plug in apart from the Thunderbolt lead to my laptop. I feel very 'smart' at the moment.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you chap.

xaser04 and Almightyrastus like this.
  18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I've got 200 or so miles to do tomorrow, can't remember how much the car has in it currently, not much if I had to guess, hoping I can get it sorted tonight. Doesn't seem to be as much of an issue up here but am a little concerned.
    As if moving house needs any extra stress added :D

19. Almightyrastus

Thank you. My wife was meant to be taking the car in as she is working some early shifts this week, but I don't want to risk her getting stranded, at least I am able to make it home under my own steam if needed.

Pete J likes this.
  20. Almightyrastus

Well, I made it there and back, just. Car is now in single digits for range... MOT went fine, advisory on the rear tyres, but still 3mm on both of those. Considering it's a Mini and all the back ones do is keep your backside off the road, they'll manage until the end of next month, especially with the miles that we get through.

Got back home to find out that a good friend died whilst I was out. Covid got him. He had been in and out of hospital over the past month or so. He'd go in, get on the oxygen and perk up to the point where he was fine to go home, then a week later he'd be back in. He was in pretty decent spirits yesterday and then went downhill VERY fast today. Gonna miss him and his stories. He had one for just about every occasion and I must've heard them all at least 2 or 3 times. Ex SA army and police, he and his family moved over here a few years ago and we got to know them via a small South African and Zimbabwean café that they opened down the road from us a couple of years ago. Lovely guy, always had time for a chat, made the most wonderful biltong, loved nothing more than a braai, a beer, his bike, and his girls.

IanW and Pete J like this.