1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Long time out of the game - Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stefan442, 8 Oct 2021.

1. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

All,

Last upgraded by system what feels like yesterday but is more like 5 years ago. Played the new BF beta and its obvious im now way behind in the PC gaming scene.

• CPU - Core i5 Haswell i5-4690k @ 3.5GHz
    • Mobo - ASUS Z97-K - Haswell chipset on CPU - any recommendations on CPU upgrade? If any
    • RAM - 16GB dual memory 2 x 8gb corsair XMP 1600c9 in slot 2 and 4. Potential to put in another 2 x 8 GB DDR3 2400mhz?
    • GPU - 970 4GB GDDR5 Asus Strix Is this the best place to upgrade? Quick look at the market is mental.... where do i even begin with such limited options

Playing at 1080, but could upgrade to 1440
    Happy to upgrade case
    Power supply - modular, decent spec

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Edit: Christ - just seen my own signature :hehe:
    Edit 2: boot drive and 2 additional SSDs in addition to my storage on HDD.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I don't think I'd bother upgrading to an i7 haswell, it's still not really gonna be worth it. More powerful graphics might help, but your system looks pretty well balanced to me, so improving one part a great deal, might just cripple something else.

Maybe time to start looking for a new system if you're going to keep up gaming with big titles.

stefan442 likes this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Games do tend to like more threads nowadays, but the 970 isn't going to trouble it, and a 4970k would be completely overwhelmed with a new gpu

I agree with @spolsh that you should be looking at a new system. Something like an R5 2600, and x470/b450 motherboard, 16gb ddr4, an m.2 drive and a GPU. I'm hesitant to recommend any gpu in particular as a lot will depend on your budget and their pricing and availability are, well, ****ed. Proper ****ed. But something like a gtx 1080 if you're trying to keep the budget down would be a decent step up,

stefan442 likes this.
  4. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Knew i would need a new build....back to the drawing board. GPUs are just so expensive and not accessible which is really putting me off. Thanks for the feedback.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Check out the marketplace, there's some stuff on there at the minute.

stefan442 likes this.
  6. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

New build time unfortunately. My 4670K Haswell build won't cut it anymore on newer games (and is on another continent thesedays).

Your board could take either the 4790K or the 5775C but neither have a significant IPC improvement to justify the cost (the 4790K still seems to be around £150-200 2nd hand). And going with any other platform means replacing your DDR3 RAM with DDR4 (or DDR5 with Alder Lake when that launches in November).

I also had a GTX 970 in that build and it's also not really good enough anymore. That said with the GPU market as it is you're best off keeping it until it dies or the market becomes sane again. I sold mine 2 years ago for £100 which was as good as I could have expected. You will get more for it now, anywhere between £120-200 - but upgrading it now isn't viable and it's probably better financially to keep for now.

My 10700K does have an iGPU that is surprisingly good on games from around 2010 @1080p but the 970 would be a vast improvement over any modern iGPU, so I'd keep it for now.

stefan442 likes this.