1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I made the mistake of thinking BP's backing would get them through this...

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

its me funded with claim back. Means if I move on they don’t have contracts to deal with which is fair enough.

As for why it’s bad.. chrome browser doesn’t work like it does on android, the mail functions are ok but again the way it deals with multiple emails to mark as read can be long winded. WhatsApp reply function through the app is a hold down and wait for a window to appear to click reply to rather than a quick highlight and tap to reply function as in android, the camera is locked down to a point where it is comical, Siri is useless, apple maps suck, apple car play isn’t as good as Google’s version on my bmw.. the lists go on.

It’s trivial stuff but ultimately makes for a less fun device. Lack of fingerprint scanner and a requirement for faceID during a pandemic is also laughable. Apples arrogance has yet to plateau… onwards and upwards is their moto internally on the subject it would seem.

I’ve ordered a second sim.. it’s going in the pixel 5.

Ill have brilliance in my own time however at an additional cost and inconvenience to myself. *sigh*

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Today I learned... That my utility supplier went belly up through the Bit-Tech forums.
    Renewed with them in September as well, after being with them for the previous year and they were pretty decent. I thought it was looking good getting a reasonable deal before everything went to extortionate mode.

Now we just have to wait to see which of the cow big boys we end up with.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It doesn't seem to matter where I work, I'm just constantly surrounded by idiots and it's really starting to grate :miffed:

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It sounds like the real problem here is that they're making you use your own personal phone contract for work purposes. If you don't need it while you're away from home or the office then just don't put a SIM card in the iPhone and keep it on WiFi - they can't stop you from using your own phone for your own personal purposes. If they need you to be contactable while you're off-site or on-call (or by phone) then they damn well need to give you a company SIM card, especially if they can afford to reimburse you for a ~£1100 phone.

Honestly if my place tried to make me use my own phone contract for work purposes then I'd quite happily kick up a massive stink all the way to our CEO - past our CEO even, right up to the parent company's CEO if I had to. I'd quite happily find a job elsewhere and resign because of it. It's not even about the cost - frankly it wouldn't even be any additional cost to me - it's what it represents: if they're making you use your own personal stuff for work purposes then it means that they don't value or respect your time, your work-life balance, or your well-being.

IanW likes this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I need a filling.
    I am terrified of the dentist's drill.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Have you spoken to your doctor / dentist? You might be able to get a dose of valium.

8. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Deep.

It’s all valued, just poor IT implementation at the top end that’s all. The more that can be claimed back the better work / life balance I can get as there is more available funds to take the girls out and have family time.

I’m a techy as most here are and the issue for me is how the iPhone works even with 3rd party apps. It just isn’t for me.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

From awesome to ruined in a month:

Over the last years.i have been monitored.for high PSA levels. 18 months ago it all looked perfectly accounted for by a large benign prostate hyperplasia and there was no particular concern on MRI. However in June the PSA level came back borderline concerning, and I decided to have another immediate check and go for MRI and biopsy. The next result came back really high --almost certainly prostate cancer.

MRI and biopsy are due soon and will tell more, but it does not look good at all. The rapidity with which this developed is a very bad sign. Having read up a lot about this to be honest I suspect it is aggressive and that I have less than 5 years left.

Being a cancer psychologist I have seen the reality of the disease in over a 1000 patients. I've always know the lifetime cancer risk, and I've always known that one day it could be me. I just didn't expect it so soon --or just as I am about to retire. At least the mortgage is paid off and I will leave my wife with a good pension, so there's that, I suppose.

My wife is holding it together remarkably well, but needless to say, I'm a mess --i am typing this in a relatively together spell-- but I thought I'd let you all know why I'm disappearing from the forums for at least a while.

If I'm not back, it's been great to be part of this close-knit community for all these years. Take care of yourselves, and keep on modding.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nexxo, thanks for sharing your albeit devastating news with us.
    It really does highlight PSA monitoring and taking care of ourselves in the Prostate department.

I lost my father in law to it 10 years ago, and he was totally unaware that it was stalking him in the background.

I had a free charity (PcASO?) PSA check at 49* for a baseline level and am overdue after lockdown.

* pestered by mother in law, bless her

GP not interested at my age, but you're not much older than me I think, so it's not too early for all of us to be aware.

I will be thinking of you and hoping for a positive outcome, and wish you all the best at this really testing time.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

FFS.
    I'm hoping that things work out for you @Nexxo, we don't agree on most things but stuff like this should transcend differences and I genuinely hope that when you get the MRI & biopsy results they aren't as bad as you fear.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

do. not. ****ing. like. :sad: I don't know what to say. Can only hope for the best. good luck to you mate.

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I honestly have no words to express how saddened I feel at this news. I can only hope you are wrong about the outcome.

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Well ****. Hope to see you on the other side of this @Nexxo .

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I feel like **** just reading this, can only imagine what it's like for you.

I don't know what to say except good luck, and I'm hoping for the best.

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Nexxo it's not a damn race to the grave with me. I WILL resurrect you and kick your ass if you die before me.

Was gonna bitch about my scarred kidneys. Not even worth it now.

You will beat this. Or you'll see me in the Happy Hunting Ground. And I'll kick your ass there for dying.

You are the best friend I ever made on the internet. You can't go now.

IanW, Mr_Mistoffelees and The_Crapman like this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I too don't know what to say. That bites, really hard :(

We're here dude. I really don't know what else to say apart from I really hope you get better.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

JFC.

We've disagreed and butted heads multiple times but I consider it a privilege to know you, even if we've never met in person. I can think of few others who have given as much as you have.

I hope we can speak again, however remotely. Take care of yourself as best you can.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

@Nexxo Jesus dude. I really hope you've jumped the gun on the self diagnosis. But either, way look after yourself as best you can.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021