1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Toasty 3070 Ti FE - is it safe to whack the fan speed up for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Byron C, 23 Oct 2021.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My graphics card is a toasty boi - this is what HWMonitor reports when running a combination of Cinebench R23 and Furmark

upload_2021-10-23_11-35-36.png

Obviously there are thermal throttling limits that'll kick in to protect the GPU silicon, but those hotspot and memory temps are looking a mite toasty for my liking. It makes no difference whether I have the case fans (3x120mm intake via a 360mm AIO rad, 3x120mm exhaust (2 top 1 rear)) running at full whack or not, it always settles around that sort of temperature - and yes, some games will push it that high, it's not just synthetic benchmarks.

Buuuuut.... left to its own devices, the fans never really get much above ~60% even when the GPU temp is way up there:

upload_2021-10-23_11-39-34.png

Obviously Afterburner, which produced that graph, can indeed adjust the fan speed curve. If I set it to the default curve

upload_2021-10-23_11-41-38.png

that will indeed knock the temperatures down a bit

upload_2021-10-23_11-43-35.png

It also reduces hotspot and RAM temps, but it's harder to show that difference on a graph.

I can very likely get a lot better cooling if I tweak the fan curve it so that the fans actually hit 100% at full GPU utilisation. Those fans are noisy af at 100% speed, but if it takes ~5C off all those temps then I might consider it worthwhile. My question is whether or not this is a safe thing to do, or whether I'm going to kill those fans by running them at 100% for extended periods of time?

I'd really like to replace the thermal compound on the card and look at getting some better thermal pads for the VRMs and memory chips, but I'm not really keen on the idea of voiding the warranty with the way the GPU market is right now.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You'll be fine. In fact, they might last longer running at a fixed full speed than constantly ramping up and down. You'll probably need to clean the dust out more often, tho'.

I do the opposite on my fan profile: I found that the bursty nature of my Ryzen chip was making the fans ramp up and down really frequently, which was annoying, so now it's set to just-below-where-I-can-hear-it until about 70°C then a cliff until it's at full speed around the 80°C mark.

Byron C likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ta.

I went through and optimised my case fan speeds earlier today. I'd set them to quite an aggressive curve when I first built the system as I had no idea what to expect from both the CPU (R9 5900X) and my AIO (Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360). The AIO's actually doing quite a good job of keeping temperatures under control - although I haven't really done any overclocking or seriously heavy tweaking - so I can set my fans to quite a nice quiet profile.

It's just the GPU I need to worry about now!

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I would definitely recommend a custom fan curve. They're often set quite low, the PNY 3070 I have gets alarmingly hot before the fans come on at all. It won't harm the card at all, if anything you'll be prolonging the life of the chip and vrm by keeping them cooler. You can set afterburner to start with windows on a certain profile too so you don't forget to put it on. You'll probably find that you don't need 100%, but start an agressive curve with 100% at 80c, then bench something like superposition, see what speed/temp/noise the card gets too and adjust it but by bit till you get a good compromise between temp and noise.

What case is it in? If there's any way of giving the gpu some more fresh air, like an intake in the floor/on the Psu shroud, that would probably help too.

Byron C likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The VRAM temps are an issue for 30 series. Even the later releases with "better" thermal pads get toasty.

It is absolutely worth replacing the pads, despite cost, effort and risk to warranty; not to mention the WTFness of it.

The best bang for buck replacement pads are the 12.8w/mk pads from Thermalright. You can get them on Amazon. You can get fujipoly pads rated at 17w/mk but they don't perform any better in my opinion, and they cost three times as much.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Aight, colour me convinced! I'll do some tweaking with the fan curve - cheers all :thumb:

Bitfenix Nova Mesh, with the internal mesh removed. TBH though even with the side panel open I get pretty much the same temps!

Cheers for the recommendation - starting to sound like it's going to be a good idea to swap out the thermal pads and reapply thermal goo.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You'll probably find gaming won't get near those temps, furmark is a bit synthetic but yes you can up the fan curve, I did this with my OC-'ed 1080Ti when on air and my 3080Ti whilst lovely and quiet normally I whack it up to 100 for benching, keeps it around 50-60, these chips are bloody toasty, use a lot of juice too.

I will probably put mine on water but the block is £250 and at that price I might be better served selling my 3080Ti FE and getting a card with block prebuilt rather than ruin any warranty on this card, I was on the fence between the 3080Ti and 6900XT Zero WB, probably should have went for the AMD its faster and has a block on it, especially having played with the RT stuff now and just have a general meh feeling about it, just give me some hardcore render powah!

If you are considering a strip down for pads, then adding a block and WCing perhaps could be considered.

Nice quiet card when gaming on air though, the Ti FE cooler is superb especially compared to my old EVGA 1080Ti but the quietness no doubt comes at higher temps, they are designed for it though and it doesn't look like its knocking back clocks to control it so probably fine

Last edited: 23 Oct 2021
    Byron C likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

:grin:

Not many, I'll grant you. But Warzone, for example, constantly pegs GPU temperature at 82C and when I was playing Death Stranding that was hitting high 70s, sometimes 80.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Put it on water.

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Unreal engine is the most punishing. Even more than 3dmark.

My vram temps on a 2080ti were hitting 106c. So it's not just gddr6 that runs hot.

I like to keep my cards under 80. Seems every card I've ever had live over that has died eventually.

Byron C likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Cool the card, wet it's core
    Cool the card, wet it's core
    Cool the card, wet it's core....

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If the temps don't change much when you increase the airflow into and out of the case, in my mind I would change the paste and pads first.

Byron C likes this.
  13. David

Just a follow up on the Thermalright pads - the accepted ideal thickness for the FE cooler cards is 1.5mm

Byron C likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

'Proper' watercooling is actually going to be my next 'big' investment! Once I get a decent-sized case...

If anyone can find a waterblock for the 3070Ti then I'm all ears! Only thing I can find is that EKWB are "working on it"...

Ta - that saves me a rabbit-hole of research/trial-and-error. I did look up those Thermalright pads yesterday, and they're not obscene so I'll pick some up after the next payday I think.

15. Vault-Tec

Wait for EK or Water cool. DO NOT be tempted to order from the dude in France who is making water blocks for it. Worst experience and total waste of £130 I have ever had. Turned up nearly two months too late, and with no thermal pads. He ghosted me when I asked the sizes, so I was left with a £130 paper weight.

It was also **** quality.

[​IMG]

Look at the area around the G 1/4 holes ffs. It's totally pissed.

Byron C likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

Byron C likes this.
  17. David

I used about two and a half 85x45x1.5mm packs on my first 3090, and two packs on the second one, but they have memory chips and VRMs on both sides of the PCB.

One pack should be enough for a single-sided card - there are barely any components on the rear side of the 3070Ti that require contact with the backplate. Also, it has a third of the VRAM and fewer VRMs than the 3090.

Byron C likes this.
  18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Set a custom fan curve and also look into undervolting. The 3000 series respond very nicely to a bit of undervolting (just like the 1000 and 2000 series before them).

Optimum tech has done a nice video on the process - really straight forward in MSI Afterburner. :)

Byron C likes this.
  19. David

That has little to no impact on memory temps, but undervolting is still worthwhile.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2021
    Byron C likes this.
  20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, seeing it myself, these 3xxx are hot, mine is going on water, it drops a good ~250Mhz off the core with an extended play session, not really acceptable to me, sure 110 is the memory limit but it's not even that warm in the house today.

Guess if I put it on water I'll need to run a fan over the backplate which should help my SSD to as its hitting 80C next to the GPU.

upload_2021-10-27_17-53-44.png

Should come as no surprise really my 1080Ti wasn't a lot different on air and it drew less power.

Byron C likes this.