1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Core i9-12900K claimed to be the "World's Best Gaming Processor"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 28 Oct 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If, as I plan to do, I upgrade next year to the next AMD R7 on AM5, I can upgrade the CPU say 3 years after and, just drop it in the same motherboard. If I go with Intel next year, 3 years later a CPU upgrade is going to need a new motherboard as well and may also need new RAM. Forget it Intel...

Last edited: 28 Oct 2021
    MLyons likes this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Word on the street is that the word on the slide includes pricing
    [​IMG]

Don't like that you're forced into win11 to be able to use the p&e cores properly. I'm one of those that like to cling onto the os for as long as possible. I just find comfort in familiarity.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I may be misremembering, but is this the same Intel that jumped up and down with claims that Apple published benchmarks that specifically disadvantaged Intel last year with the M1 launch?

perplekks45 likes this.
  5. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

I’m not excited about these chips. That’s the appropriate feels isn’t it? Have I missed something?

(and I have been an Intel only builder for a loooooong time)

souper82, The_Crapman and Goatee like this.
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yep, it's also the Intel who "forgot" to mention that their "5 giggle-hurtz all-core 28-corezzz" HEDT CPU ran on a phase change cooler to reach those clocks.

Vault-Tec, MLyons and The_Crapman like this.
  7. The_Crapman

And the same intel that proclaimed that benchmarks were bogus synthetic tests that were not representative of real world performance, I think when AMD 3000series were launching and the blue bars were starting to get a bit smaller.
    I was excited, first mainstream desktop CPUs on 10nm, brand new architecture, brand new core makeup, but got really turned off when win11 was thrust at me, anyone who wants to run these properly Will be Microsoft QA volunteers. Will be interesting to see what kind of behaviour you get in win10.

monty-pup likes this.
  8. perplekks45

You mean the Intel that also claimed on one page that benchmarks were useless metrics not to used at all, then posted "Office benchmark" numbers on the next page? Comparing their new top-end HEDT CPU against "an average laptop" and claiming insane increases in productivity due to "improved architecture and manufacturing"? Yeah....

Also, Win 10 with Alder Lake-S should technically work, but performance should be shite. I mean, Intel basically wrote the whole scheduler for Win 11 to make sure it actually works.

souper82 likes this.
  9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It will be very interesting to see how the different reviewers approach the Alderlake reviews.

Will they just run all tests on Win 11 and call it a day or will they, for example, also show within the same graphs AMD CPU's (and previous gen Intel CPU's) running the same test on Win10 (thus avoiding any Win 11 patch issues)?

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends when the review samples arrive I suspect. Normally CPU samples comes in late but if I was intel I'd try to get them to come in as late as possible so reviewers can only do a limited number of tests.

11. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

You remember those awesome releases where, although reviewers were under strict NDA’s, they would be a tiny bit cryptic and say “stick it in your calendars, you won’t want to miss it”?

That hasn’t happened in soooooooo long!

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yep, with you there.

I suppose I was more musing once we are past the initial "get the review out as fast as possible for the CPM hits" style content. I imagine Gamers Nexus will be do a more in depth dive and will probably be much more critical than say LTT.

Roll on the 4th so we can find out..

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've missed something somewhere, but if I were looking to upgrade, that would be a definite jug of cold water down the pants.

Strikes me they haven't really used decent/taxing games to benchmark with, either. If Age of Empires is frame-hungry then I'm also missing something else.

14. The_Crapman

MS has had to build a brand new core scheduler for Windows 11, to efficiently handle the p&e cores. Windows 10 will use them all, just maybe not as intended, or as "smartly". Alderlake might be the very reason we got win11.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've also heard rumours that Intel had a massive part in building that scheduler

16. The_Crapman

Yeh i can imagine they'd have had to do a lot for it. If only ms had gained some experience in big.little chips management from something like the phone sector :eyebrow::rollingeyes:

perplekks45 and MLyons like this.
  17. perplekks45

If you mean quite literally building the whole thing with their engineers and integrating it into Windows for Microsoft with their own engineers, then yes, massive part is probably right. :thumb:

18. MLyons

Couldn't possibly comment

19. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

So thoughts on Alderlake now it's been reviewed?

Looks like good performance but at the expense of running hot and sucking back power

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Looks great and DDR5 is already flexing at this early stage, the whole power consumption thing is a bit dependant on what you are doing, on the gaming front you get more performance with less power use than a competing Ryzen.

Tags: Add Tags