1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Aka, dynamic range compression :grin:. I have that option on my TV... and my Apple TV... and various streaming apps.

No incarnation of DRC has ever really worked well IMO. Plus if you forget to switch it off it absolutely ruins any stereo content like music or podcasts.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup some devices aren't very good at it, I don't seem to need to fiddle with it these days as the auto volume on my LG TV seems to do a good enough job of keeping all sources at the same level whilst still sounding good but was reminded that not all things are equal when setting up a new mini LED TCL TV for my mum this week, where some of the apps would not output at same level as TV, it's a bit frustrating.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Hmmm. My TV has an "auto volume" function, I wonder if that will work. My TV is quite old though so I don't have high hopes.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

It's not just me! Phew. Thought the end of days were setting in.

That IS called "ageing" though. It unfortunately doesn't get any better :sigh:

Conjuring: Devil Gave Me A Convenient Excuse - 7/10
    Some rather creepy moments but ultimately nothing new; still an enjoyably cheeky fright-romp though.

Mortal Kombat (2021?) - Ha!/10
    Some brilliant one-liners/smart-arse comments that kind of made the film, covering for the in-game fatality comments that found their (tongue-in-cheek) way in. After they all find their raison though, it becomes a bit generic.

5. The_Crapman

Sometimes it feels a little more than ageing, things that happened in a TV show that we watched the day prior like main characters getting brutally murdered and I really struggle to remember. It might be exacerbated by having not had a proper full time job in nearly 2 years, so the old grey matter doesn't get exercised as much, but there have been some days where I really struggle and I worry if it's early onset dementia or Alzheimer's. Having had a serious head injury in my youth, I think I have an increased chance of brain related conditions. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy might be another thing, as I think I had 2or3 bad falls when I was really little that knocked me unconscious, in my first or second year of secondary school I was running around a corner and bounced of a 6th former and landed on the back of my head, there might be a few more incidents like that. Honestly it's a miracle I'm alive :hehe:

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I actually kinda like it! Only if it's done well - for example, some big helicopter thing flying in to give that sense of IMERSHUN. I am the kind of person who's happiest when he's listening to glam metal on full blast though.

There is sympathy, however. Not quite sure how to help those out with lower volume thresholds. Don't really want to start setting up different viewings with different volume levels as before you know it you'll end up with a huge list of things cinemas have to turn on and off.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Easier to have it loud and offer complementary earplugs than have it quiet and offer complementary hearing aids, I'd guess.

That said, some cinemas do offer autism-friendly screenings where the volume is lower and the lights don't go all the way down. I wouldn't mind going to one of those.

boiled_elephant, IanW and Pete J like this.
  8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Some also offer baby-friendly screenings, with supposedly similar criteria, lower sound levels and more lights. The latter they did, the former i didnt notice any difference - still very loud!

9. The_Crapman

Batman Vs superman - Dawn from accounts(8)/10
    Besides the annoyance generated during the bat Vs super fight that could have been avoided if he'd just said right off "lex has my mum, I need your help" I really enjoyed it, but as I've said before I think, watching cinema sins has only increased my nitpicking. I don't know how an extra 30mins to make it a 3hr slog would have made it better, if things needed adding (maybe a little more of WW before she appears abruptly with "ta-da! I'm a magic double-hard *******, bitches" would have been nice) there was a lot that could have made way for it, I felt.

Wonder woman - Always make time for foreplay/10
    I'm kind of in 2 minds about whether this should have come before DOJ, but predominantly I think it should have. Better to watch Bruce make a tit of himself in the knowledge she could cripple him with her little finger, than to watch most of this film knowing how powerful she would eventually become and waiting for it to happen. Would I miss the "big reveal" in DOJ, well I knew it was coming, so that probably didn't help, but you know anyway after Bruce finds the pic from 1918. I think that spoiled my enjoyment of this film, maybe watching it mere hours after DOJ didn't help, nor the lateness of the time and drifting off in the middle of the end battle. It was fun though, I think expecting anything else from these films is only fooling yourself.

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Finch - "Can I do something Finch?"/10

I've always been fascinated in the development of AI and robotics but Hollywood has never quite managed to pull off. There have been attempts in the past such as the legendary short circuit and the god awful chappie but that development has always been sidelined or hurried in favour of a greater plot. Finch is one of the better renditions but imo would have succeeded better without the post apocalyptic backdrop and instead focused on its main plot of a dying man building a robot to look after his dog after he's gone.

Overall very enjoyable but not perfect.

11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Rambo: 1st Blood Part 2.
    Epic.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Dangerous - ???/10

I went in expecting crap and I got crap. So. Thumbs up for being kind of what I expected? Thumbs down for all the rest of it though.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Bloodshot - Eh/10

Vin Diesel stars as Vin Diesel in another Vin Diesel film. If you want a 90 minute action film to tide you over while you eat some food, check on your emails etc, it'll do.

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Grim. That's crud and I feel for ya, dude - can relate to some of that, but your next task is to watch The Crash Reel. That's a 9/10 but also relevant here. Let me know what you think.

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Is that the Vin Diesel one ?

Pete J and Byron C like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, with Vin Diesel as Vin Diesel.

Pete J likes this.
  17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Delighted to hear that dynamic range is a common bugbear. On some media it is definitely the surround-to-stereo downmix that does it, you get weird results that seem like loud rear channel stuff and quiet front stuff.

Tremors.
    20/10, would relive my childhood again. This film is the tits and I'll knife fight anyone who disagrees.
    True actual not even joking story: my ex hated this film, and it wasn't the main reason we broke up, but in some dark pit of my soul, I know it was one of the reasons. No room in my life for people who don't appreciate this masterpiece.

I like Tremors.

edit
    Idk what to do with this info but I'm definitely holding onto it for a rainy day.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2021
    Pete J and The_Crapman like this.
  18. The_Crapman

Aka Morph

Pete J likes this.
  19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Black Christmas - Dear Lord/10
    Given this is set in a sorority house, there should be some redeeming features, but sadly (and in the spirit of the film's supposedly ulterior theme) there was just about a single one. And it wasn't the story.

20. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I just watched this yesterday, I was surprised when Vin Diesel popped up in it, very unexpected.

spolsh, Byron C and Pete J like this.