1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Windowed or non-windowed case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 20 Nov 2021.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

I've decided on a Phanteks P600S for my next build, but can't decide whether to go for a glass panel or solid panel. I'm not too bothered about looking inside my case every day through the glass panel and the solid panel version is 20 quid cheaper, but I have a nagging doubt that I'm missing out with a solid panel. Also, I somewhat prefer the gun-metal grey case colour but it's only available with the glass side panel whereas the solid panel version is in black only.

From what I've read, there's negligible difference in noise between solid panel and glass panel cases so that's not a factor in choice, unless proved otherwise, but what are the other benefits and drawbacks to glass over metal side panels?

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Not having glass hides a multitude of cabling and dusting sins :happy:
    I find it a bit less flashy and gamer-y. I prefer more understated PC hardware, but that is very much a matter of preference.

Looks like solid side panels are available in both colours, albeit I don't know how widely, so that might be an option if you don't mind paying extra for the flexibility/choice of colour: https://axpertec.com/products/eclipse-p600s-right-side-panel-closed?variant=31439322611769

giskard and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  3. giskard

giskard System builder

Looks like only the right-side closed panel is available, I could probably contact Phanteks directly and ask about the grey left-side closed panel.

EDIT: I just spotted the small print on that page - "can be mounted on the right or on the left."

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Get the solid one, windows is what dremels is for.

5. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I used to detest windowed cases but that seemed to be my only option for one of my builds. Now I love them part of the fun of PC building for me is making the cables look neat.

Bloody_Pete and giskard like this.
  6. giskard

giskard System builder

I personally wouldn't touch a tempered glass panel with a Dremel or any other tool for that matter :)

spolsh likes this.
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

That's deciding factor for me. ;)

I find see-through panels make it easy to peer into it to check fans are spinning and the janky mods haven't fallen apart (pro). I then roll my PC back under the desk so the unconfigured rainbow-puke lights (con) doesn't bother me.

giskard likes this.
  8. giskard

giskard System builder

If I want the grey case I've no choice but to accept the tempered glass left panel, but if it bugs me I could get a grey right panel which I can use to replace the glass panel. Just means another 20 or 30 quid on top of the 150 I'd spend on the grey case. It'd be my "forever case" though :)

wolfticket likes this.