1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Any compatibility issues here?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 29 Nov 2021.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

I'm putting together the bits for a new system as listed in pcpartpicker.com which'll be used for photo-editing, content creation and occasionally some light-gaming with a dual monitor setup that is a 32" 4K Benq (DP and HDMI) plus a 24" Dell 1920x1200 (DVI connection)

I already have the storage devices from Amazon's BF sales and am pretty much settled on the choice of other components.

According to pcpartpicker.com, there are a few incompatibilities:
    • Warning! The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard supports the AMD Ryzen 7 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor with BIOS version 0314. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.
    • Note: The Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard.
    • Note: Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.
    I've read a review that said the mobo does support the 5900X, as far as I'm aware the Noctua includes everything for mounting on the chosen mobo and Noctua's website does indicates compatibility with the CPU and mobo.

I would appreciate some advice on clearances though:
    • The P600S has a max cooler height of 190mm and the Noctua is 165mm tall so that leaves about an inch of clearance with the side panel closed, but what about clearance for the RAM and other parts of the mobo? According to Corsair, the Vengeance DIMMs stand 31mm proud and the Noctua provides 32mm clearance below it's heatsink/fans, so it just about looks okay, but I was wondering if anyone else has my proposed combo of CPU, mobo, cooler and RAM or could otherwise advise on clearances?
    • Will the Noctua interfere with the GPU in it's PCI-e slot?
    I'd appreciate advice on the GPU too - as far as I'm aware the 1050ti will drive my Benq 4K screen along with the Dell 24" HD screen, but does anyone have any recommendation for an nVidia GPU? I've chosen the 1050ti based on price and availability (Amazon seem to have some) but would be willing to spend a bit more if the gains are much higher with a better value GPU.

All info and advice gratefully accepted.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The motherboard may require you to do "BIOS flashback", because 5000 series CPU came out after the motherboard hit the shelves. There is a button on the rear IO, read about it in the manual. But in reality unless it's really old stock, it should arrive with reasonably up to date BIOS supporting the newer processor.

The Noctua cooler is large, but should have no problem with GPU because the GPU is in the 2nd slot location. The top slot location doesn't have any PCIe slot, only M.2.
    RAM clearance is normally non-issue with regular sized RAM. The Corsair LPX can be considered regular sized. If you are worried, you can consider D15S where you pay less and don't get the fan to sit above RAM slots.

GPU market is very bad at the moment, £270 for a 1050 Ti!?
    Any displayport 1.2 capable card will be able to do 4k 60Hz. Quick series of Google search says cards as old as Geforece 600 series, first released in 2012, can support your 2 monitors. I suggest looking at second hand 900 series as these cards still have driver support.

giskard likes this.
  3. giskard

giskard System builder

Thanks, I guess if the Noctua cooler does interfere then I can just leave off the outer fan which makes it a D15S. Also I believe the same fan can be raised a little if more clearance is needed.

Finding a reasonably priced GPU will be tough, your suggestion is a good one.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

TBH because GPU's are so mad maybe an iGPU in an intel chip, just because it'll be ok, not great, but you're not feeding the trend of money down the toilet for bad GPU's!

5. giskard

giskard System builder

I've decided on the Ryzen 9 route, so I guess I'll be fishing for a lower-end GTX on ebay, 1050ti seems to go for about £150 there
    I've seen GTX 970s on Amazon for over 200 quid!

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Which is totally awful! I guess keep an eye on the Forum marketplace (if you have access yet)!

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I would consider watercooling for your build like all new chips whether CPU or GPU chip makers like to run to thermal limits to offer maximum performance and the reason 9s aren't sent with coolers as they kind of expect you to have a good setup, water is a nice way, you can run a CPU and GPU in a reasonably modest loop.