1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best way to remove glue from phone back cover

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Big Elf, 9 Jan 2022.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Anyone any suggestions how to get ALL the glue off Samsung phones glass back covers? I need to change the battery on 3 phones and can get the covers off easily enough, what I can't get off is the residual glue.

So far I've tried a heat gun, heat pad, Isopropyl Alcohol, WD40 and a generic sticker remover together with strong tape to pull it off, all of which have failed. WD40 is usually the one that works on everything but has failed this time.

The heat pad is the best for both removing the cover and getting the adhesive template off but it still leaves large areas of glue

I've got the genuine adhesive templates to try and maintain water resistance but it's a waste of time if I can't get the old glue off.

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You just gotta keep at it.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Craft knife or razor blade

4. Big Elf

The problem with sharp stuff is scratches off the coating and makes the scratches visible. It's also especially difficult as very little glue is on flat bits, most of it is on the curves.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

6. Big Elf

Thanks, I should have mentioned I'd seen that but the shipping cost is nearly as much as the product cost. However it looks like I might have to go for it.

I've just spent an hour trying to rub the glue off with IPA and have managed to thin out the coating to the point where it's almost see through plus there's still glue on it. At least replacement used covers are cheap (I've asked, they also still have the glue on them)

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think that is basically acetone (common nail polish remover, but check), which might also be worth a try if you're confident there is nothing else that it will damage.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

It is actually citrus oil and aliphatic hydrocarbons (unspecified). It has a pleasant citrusy smell and is non-toxic and biodegradable. Can't say whether it will work the problem glue but, I have removed glue deposits with it, that isopropanol didn't touch.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Akasa Tim clean! Brilliant for getting label gunk off. So much so, that my step dad had a bottle of exactly the same stuff in the same bottle, but with so no-name brand of "sticky stuff remover" label on.

11. wolfticket

I thought I read in their own iFixit guides that it was acetone based (for instance step 23).
    Anyway, I know the Akasa Tim clean mentioned above is though citrus based though. I've had a bottle for ages. Good stuff, but probably similar to other generic sticky stuff remover (I have a bottle from Poundland), or indeed the big bottle of generic citrus solvent also linked above.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Sorry, got the solvents mixed up…

13. wolfticket

My general toolkit for glue removal is: Isopropyl Alcohol, Citrus-based solvent (TIM clean/sticky stuff remover), Acetone and Superglue De-bonder.
    Naturally have to be careful about what you use on what.

EDIT: Also light (or cooking) oil/WD-40

Last edited: 10 Jan 2022
  14. Big Elf

Don't use neat Acetone, at least on a Samsung cover, unless you want a see through back cover. It takes the glue off together with the cover backing in less than a minute. Plus I've just noticed it's started melting a spudger.

Goo Gone is totally ineffective even after a 3 hour soaking. It does smell nice though.

I'm making a 'bath' of WD40 and will try soaking it in that for an hour or so. Leaving a light covering didn't work, neither did groundnut oil.

I asked my local repair shop what they do and he says they replace the cover with a new one! I'm going to ask his boss tomorrow for confirmation of that.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2022
  15. Big Elf

Success. I sprayed WD40 into a jar to get the liquid and soaked an edge of the cover in a little bath of it and tested every 30 minutes. After 2 hours the adhesive rubbed off although it took effort. It'll take me 8 hours to do each cover as I need to make sure the lens covers and fingerprint readers don't get any WD40 on them so need to do an edge at a time. Same goes for carefully getting the WD40 off with IPA.

This suggests that cooking oil will be effective also so I'll try that as I hate the smell of WD40.

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I always keep a bottle of this solvent knocking around. Removes most things and is pretty safe on the whole (for something that smells so good solventy).

17. Big Elf

I've added it to my Amazon List. If the iFixit Adhesive Remover proves problematic with the Acetone content I'll order that next.

2 hours in a cooking oil bath and 2 hours in a 'Goo Gone' bath didn't get the adhesive off but at least haven't done any more damage to the backing on the cover.

I'm now getting to the point where I'm thinking sod the water resistance, just get the cover back on.

18. Big Elf

ifixit Adhesive Remover and a microfibre cloth removes the adhesive quickly. A single drop of the adhesive remover directly on the adhesive followed by vigorous wipes with the cloth removes it quickly although depending on how much adhesive there is you may need to keep applying the remover and wiping. I found removing small areas at a time works best for me.

To remove a glued down battery put a few drops where it will get under the battery and leave a couple of minutes then pry gently with a spudger until it unsticks

You need to put the stopper on the bottle immediately after use as it evaporates like mad (it comes supplied in an airtight bag).

While it's not cheap it should last a long time as only tiny amounts are required.

Yaka likes this.
  19. Big Elf

After more experimentation the best adhesive remover I've found so far is tesa® 60042. It's a bit cheaper at Amazon when they have it in stock but it seems to go out of stock quickly everywhere.

It works effectively and quickly and has the smell of citronella which I like but some (wife) find overpowering.

After finding this I've stopped looking for further adhesive removers.