1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows TV licence

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 21 Feb 2022.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Then this I shall have to concede; I'm tempted to stop paying mine to see first hand what their goons are like. This will of course require me to get divorced first.

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fill in the form first, and talk to the inspector politely if they show up, and I'm willing to bet you'll find 'em entirely pleasant.
    That part, though, will probably not be so pleasant.

3. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I think the point I was trying to make is pretty tedious, but also I don't want to leave you hanging, so here goes:

You can only choose to not pay a tax if you actually are due to pay it. If you don't qualify for a tax, there is no actual choice involved in your payment of the tax. Therefore, any "choice" over tax payment is necessarily shirking it. You could choose not to use a service, but this is distinct from choosing whether or not to pay a tax - the tax is just a consequence, not where the choice was actually made.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's a fair point, but I think I fall slightly on the other side of the semantic line. Like, I don't support Brewdog as a company so I choose not to give Brewdog any of my money... but as a consequence I can't drink any Brewdog beer. You could argue the choice I made was not-drinking-Brewdog-beer rather than not-giving-Brewdog-my-money, sure, but my motivation is the latter rather than the former.

Likewise those who rail against the TV Licence: I'm sure they'd love to watch a bit of Doctor Who, but because they choose not-giving-the-BBC-money the consequence is not-watching-Doctor-Who. And I'm sure there are some - maybe even four or five - people who own a car but refuse to support the DVLA by paying tax on it, so have the consequence of not-using-the-car-on-public-roads as a result of the choice of not-paying-the-DVLA.

It's all semantics, tho' - and certainly in the case of the DVLA you're right that the choice is made at the not-using-the-car-on-public-roads part rather than the not-paying-the-DVLA part for the overwhelming majority.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Have you seen my tax exempt Land Rover?

Just making sure :p:

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'll be honest and say I have had absolutely nothing from them at all. Not a single letter.

I did, however, fill in the declaration when I got rid though. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it? I really don't know TBH, but I would love it if they did turn up. There are 8 flats, and they would never get in. Would be nice to taunt them over the intercom though :D

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Never paid for it myself, but don't use live TV or the iplayer.
    Iv had about 3 visit in the 8 years iv left home.
    I just be polite, but deny any access and i don't let them know my name so they cant put it on a letter. You can't take someone to court if you don't know who they are.

Although im perfectly within the rules, i don't wish the TV licence to know anything about me.

I must say two out of the three where pretty rude and acted like they had powers they don't. They didn't even want to tell me who or why they were at my door until i forced them.

I actually use to know the regional manager of the TV licencing for all of wales.
    Sound chap and told me how they all work, very interesting. even let me in on the vans they use.

Basically they have 4 nationally, 2 of them are active and are used on people that give them a hard time, (violence, aggressive ect)
    They have no special magic but do record the light change inside the house in the late evening and then use that as a grounds to get a warrant as they use that to suspect enough that you are watching some sort of TV. But he did say it isn't evidence and cannot be used in court.

I asked how often you use warrants and take people to court and he said its pretty much the same as the van use. If they have been given a hard time, they will push back too. If you keep things reasonable they just wont take it anywhere and its extremely rare even with a court case they will go through with it due to the costs involved vs how much they will retrieve, the threat of court is what they use rather than the use of court.

Last edited: 10 May 2022
    LennyRhys and slimithy like this.