1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Currently working my way through Mass Effect Legendary edition. Finished ME1, about 10hrs into ME2, and I'm most surprised at how little I remember if these games outside the main missions and characters. Didn't think my memory was that bad!

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yet another on my list. My very long list.

How are the graphics on ME1/ME2?

3. VictorianBloke

ME1 was passable. Some noticeable repeating textures on some planets when you're driving about, and a few overly toothy facial animations in cut scenes, but on the whole nothing noticeably bad that would spoil enjoyment. Nothing amazing either. ME2 has been better so far.

I am playing on console at 1080p though.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

I mean I'm going to pick it up anyway but I may hunt down some pc vids of 1&2 I think to see whether it will make my eyes bleed and whether it'd be better on console :happy:

5. VictorianBloke

Don't get me wrong, they're not 'bad' by any stretch of the imagination. Just nothing to write home about or have you stopping to admire the view. I remember the originals being better on pc, so suspect the same might be true for these versions too, especially in a higher res.

adidan likes this.
  6. adidan

Ta, tbh I think any graphical disappointment will be forgotten when it reminds me of the original.

Not that I can remember much of the original besides wandering some sort of station.

And scanning. Lots of scanning. Or was that 2. Or 1&2. Or 1,2 and 3? :lol:

7. VictorianBloke

I thought they'd fixed the scanning, just enter orbit, hit the scan button, done.
    But no.
    That's was ME1. Get into 2, and oh god, the scanning. :waah:

8. adidan

That's just confirmed it for me then - I'll pick up the pc version and look through the mods :happy:

VictorianBloke likes this.
  9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Tried Forza Horizon 5.
    What a WOKEFEST.
    Zero challenge either, didn't feel like I had any control of the action.
    Uninstalled.

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Wait I've never played this, how can a driving game be woke?
    Does it tut audibly if you paint your car white, or something?

Pete J and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I always found the planet scanning relaxing.

But then I first started playing ME2 on the night my dad had his first heart attack, so it's mixed memories for that one. :lol:

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Well if you've never played it ..

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's why he was asking how a driving game can be "woke".

14. VictorianBloke

Guess it would be fairly therapeutic in than scenario.

My main beef is that you're forced to spend hours moving a cursor round planets to be able to upgrade everything.

With limited time to play games these days I'd rather be exploring or progressing plot lines than shuttling back and forth to buy more probes, to enable more scanning. Would love an upgrade option to fire off the full complement of probes in one go to harvest a planets resources.

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Ok kid

Last edited: 27 Feb 2022
  16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I was puzzled by what you meant too. I think you probably should've been a bit more thorough with your response, but hey ho.
    I too was wondering exactly what he meant, so did some googling, and from what I gleaned, it's a combination of online moderators stamping down on anything remotely offensive (and if you see them and don't laugh at a least a few, well, you can't be very fun to be around at parties), as well as little touches in the game itself, like having to choose your driver's pronouns (which I think is unnecessary, but whatever). Why not just go back to GT3 in the heydays of the PS2, where there was no driver - it was just you imagining yourself in the driving seat?

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Curious. I'm still stubbornly on the fence on the culture wars, but in this especially, I can't decide how to feel - on the one hand it seems comically pandering to try to make a driving game politically correct, but on the other hand, I can't imagine being very upset by the presence of pandering elements. The inclusion of third and fourth gender options on forms, for example, always makes me raise an eyebrow but has never bothered me. Who is harmed by such innocuous changes?

Whatever the wokeness consists of in detail, I cannot imagine it being even a tenth as obnoxious as the unskippable career mode cutscenes in the racing games of previous decades. Remember those? Remember Race Driver GRID? I loved that game but the cutscenes made me want to pour a drink into my PC.

Pete J likes this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

At the risk of Yet Another Epic Bit-Tech Thread Derailment...

I've got a much easier definition of "woke": basic human decency. You can dress it up and make it sound as threatening or scary as you like, but that's all it is. If the very idea of being decent to people makes you feel threatened or angry then I'm sorry snowflake, but that's no one else's problem but yours.

I mean, as a term it's just as bad as "politically correct" or "Brexit" in that it can be twisted into meaning whatever you want it to mean. Just like "politically correct" before it, this is just the latest bollocks "culture war" bogeyman - it's all the same horseshit repackaged.

Is it necessary for me to select my character's pronouns and/or gender in a racing game? Probably not, unless there's some sort of story or plot going on that directly involves my character. Does it bother me? Not really. Am I stull going to do something dumb and childish like call my character "Pissflaps McBuggerface"? You bet your arse I am. Although given the online nature of Forza 5, that username probably wouldn't be allowed...

adidan, Omnislip, wolfticket and 2 others like this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'cos then you can't flog microtransaction cosmetics for people's in-game avatars. Sort of an inversion of "get woke go broke," really: "get woke receive a substantial ongoing revenue stream for very little effort."

Pete J likes this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Now that's one stupid name I haven't thought of using in a game!:thumb:

Byron C likes this.