1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

LennyRhys and Pete J like this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, you can still collect 'em, as long as they're non-functioning. Like my wife.

I know everyone rags on Stallone's Judge Dredd, but I genuinely enjoy that film!

Pete J likes this.
  3. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

It was fun... but - well... he took his bloody helmet off! And Rob Schneider da derp dee derp teetley derpee derpee dumb...

IanW likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

But Mean Machine Angel! "I'm goin' up to four on you, laaawwmaaaaannnnn!"

5. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Felt I might be in the wrong in regards to the Marvel comment so I’m 45 minutes into Shang-Chi and I’m pleasantly entertained!

Couple of little background Easter eggs are nice - was the big fella taking the video on the bus the same guy in Spider-Man Homecoming (“Hey Spider-Man - do a flip? Yeahhh”)? I liked the line about
    every time HE tries to drive a bus he gets shouted at
    !

Edit - it bloody well was the street vendor!

So far so not what I was expecting at all!

Kung Fu Hustle poster in the apartment!

Edit -
    Trevor Slattery… the acToooor!

Edit - Phook me, it’s got Wah Yuen in it too - the landlord in Kung Fu Hustle!!!!

Well shut my mouth that was wonderful! Feels like the bashy crashy ending was quickly over but it wasn’t bad enough to spoil my wonder. I do love the folk lore creatures and there were many points that I felt overly emotional about the look and the story that I felt in films such as Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers and even Kung Fu Hustle!

Now, I’m guessing that Eternals will be a major let down in comparison?

Last edited: 23 Mar 2022
  6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

On one level it's impossible not to enjoy it. But that level is the same one on which I enjoy The Room.

"You betrayed the law!"
    "LAAAAAAAAAW!"
    10/10 Academy Award for Best Script, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Morbius - 4/10
    The mrs wanted to get out, so we went. Boy. I went in with no expectations and I wasn't disappointed.

The most cookie cutter, forgettable Marvel effort since the Norton/Roth Hulk film. Not coincidentally it has the exact same plot, along with recycled elements from almost every other Marvel film I've seen, and is so incredibly formulaic that I knew what the film's plot would be within 15 minutes and saw each subsequent development coming from at least 20 minutes away. Imagine a film with zero surprises, then subtract a few more. It's that by-the-numbers.

The good news is I like Jared Leto. He's a dude. He's perfect for this role and the character is serviceable. All 4 of the points out of 10 are for him as Morbius. I would buy a Morbius action figure. I would watch a Morbius spinoff series (if a whole different writing and direction team handled it). I would play the Morbius video game.

Everything else is boilerplate. The plot is so basic it would fit into the first 40-minute episode of a TV series, which is what this film feels like - the pilot episode of a series, unaccountably stretched to feature length. The script is amazingly generic. The supporting cast are given nothing to work with, and very understandably phone it in as a result. No characters are developed or interesting. The villain and their motivations are significantly worse than the average Lara Croft antagonist. The special effects are basically: the standard Marvel CGI farms got told to reproduce action from the video game Prototype. The music is the exact same generic orchestral swells #14 through 62 from every other Marvel film ever, and it feels extra weird here because it's a film about vampires. Why are two vampires tearing each other apart to the Iron Man music? That's ****ing weird and lazy.

I think one person in each department understood that Morbius is a cool character and did their best, but was drowned out by the other 19 people in each department who were in carpenter-making-chairs mode, churning out another Marvel film with barely a thought to which one it even was, expecting that nobody would notice or care.

And judging by the fact that the cinema was literally empty apart from us, I think they were right.

This film seems to just have been made out of capitalist compulsion, because all these people are on payroll and in work mode, and it's easier to put a less known IP through the mill and give it the basic treatment than send everyone home for the day.

From now on if a Marvel film hits the formula this predictably I'll just keep reposting the Critical Drinker quote about Venom 2, because if they can repeat themselves endlessly, so can we:
    edit - I keep saying "marvel", which it isn't, but I'm happy to use it as a shorthand for every bad cinematic universe CGI-driven superhero effort now, because it's their legacy and their fault.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2022
    Pete J likes this.
  8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LennyRhys, Pete J and Byron C like this.
  9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Spiderman No Way Home
    Slower than molasses in wintertime / 10

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Sonic the hedgehog 2
    8/10 - excellent kids movie with enough to keep adults entertained at the same time. Solid enough plot and CGI (though in the cinema I detected some render artefacts on sonics fur, similar to Ray tracing noise).

I would argue they could have cut 20 mins off the runtime easily but the pacing wasn't too slow.

Jim Carey owns the role, as you might expect.

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The Batman - 8/10

I enjoyed it. Partner said she was bored about half way, but it livened up again and got her on board, so. It is kind of long.

I liked everyone - Especially Jeffrey Wright - but I couldn't get the ballsy 'we're coming for you' style stuff that was said to Nolan out of my head, and I don't know.. That kind of cockiness made me enjoy it less I think.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Hunt 8/10

Came across this when I had some downtime and wanted light entertainment, and it did not disappoint. The first ten or so minutes are especially funny, and with a runtime of 90 minutes the pacing never feels slow. I found the social commentary to be a bit heavy handed at times, but for the most part it fits in well with the narrative of the film.

Pete J likes this.
  13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That the condemned/hard target type thingy with a female bad-ass ? Sounds like it, i liked the pig !

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The Batman, 7/10
    I enjoyed it but boy was it long.

After Yang, 8/10
    Watch this only if you want something really really slow paced. Perfect to unwind your mind.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There are... issues with The Batman.

16. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Dune is on Sky now so I might give that a go this weekend.

Pete J and Byron C like this.
  17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Dune.
    Ermmmm, yeah not my cup of tea / 10

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

James Bond: No Time To Be Memorable /10

Meh. Not much to say. On the one hand, it managed to keep me awake during its long runtime (must be the longest Bond film on record); on the other, there was nothing particularly impressive, although I definitely want to go on holiday to the film's first chapter location. Fortunately Bond is at least allowed to keep his dignity intact as there was a worry he'd be playing the inept male counterpart to a new, more superior female version; instead, respect is given to Bond's years of experience and competence.

Overall, I'm not sorry I watched it. However, I wish I knew how to put into better phrasing why older Bond films such as Goldeneye and Licence to Kill were so much better than their modern counterparts. Going back further, the Sean Connery/Roger Moore years were much more tongue-in-cheek, and as a result can't really be considered in the same genre in my opinion.

Out of interest, have you read the book(s)? Just wondering if you came into it afresh or not.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

A couple a couple of decades ago, certainly not all of them as I don't recall them catching my interest.
    I was hoping it'd be a better version of the original / first film, and whilst visually stunning the pace and audio were found to be lacking

Byron C and Pete J like this.
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Uncharted - ???/10

I don't know that I can ascribe a number to Marky Mark and the children go on a walkabout.

IMO the only ones who really worked in their role are Antonio Banderas and Tati Gabrielle. .. The woman who played Prudence in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

I felt like all of the set pieces had very obviously either been done before better, or done before so much worse that they were funnier. Overall medium level dreck that I won't be watching again.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2022