1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Just saved myself a small fortune

Discussion in 'General' started by Big Elf, 27 Apr 2022.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

When I got home today I put my key in the lock and it snapped off level with the lock when I turned it apart from a tiny sliver less than 0.5mm high sticking out.

While my wife was looking up Locksmiths I remembered I'd bought some Engineer PZ-58 pliers, initially to removed damaged screws from GPU heatsinks, but in the end never used them...until now, they gripped the tiny sliver of metal sticking out and I could easily remove the broken end of the key, phew, lucky escape.

LennyRhys, b1g-d0g, Nexxo and 6 others like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I imagine using something you'd not used was just as satisfying as getting the key out.

Now I feel like I need some for no particular reason.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last time I found myself in need of a locksmith I ended up bricking the window bc getting the window replaced was cheaper than the locksmith...

trigger, LennyRhys, slimithy and 3 others like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I like your thinking :thumb:

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Also, that sounds way more fun than waiting around for a bloke with zero training to come round and drill the lock?

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your Geek Guild membership card is in the post. :thumb:

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

9. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

If they drill the lock, they ain’t a locksmith. We had a builder doing some work and after they’ve finished put our only key for the backdoor through the letterbox.

So, phoned a locksmith, he came 10 minutes later, picked the lock in less than a minute, we were back in. Minus £75 of course.

If they want to drill the lock, they’re only doing it to sell you a new lock and fitting service.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Aye, but there are a lot of them about, from what I've read. Recently a friend of mine locked himself out, he realised as the door clicked shut so he went out and did what he was doing and I met him when he got home, I just attacked the cylinder with a 6mm and once enough of it was gone it fell out the back. New one from ScrewFix could only have been about £7?

11. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

A new cylinder lock or Yale lock is under £20 for a half decent one. Had I actually engaged my brain though, I could have tied a magnet to a bit of string, put it through the letterbox and pick the key up ‍♂️

Hindsight and all that..

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Depends how tricky it'll be to pick - if it's quicker to drill it out and sell you another, I'd rather anyone charging by the hour take the fastest sensible route.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thought there would be more love for the Engineer tools - they are absolutely amazing (and very respectably priced for how good they are).

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I have a set of those, the needle nose an mini side cutters, they are all really good tools. Keep meaning to get more from that brand.