1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm amazed you found a locksmith who picks locks. These days all they ever want to do is drill it out and sell you a replacement lock, 'cos it's both more profitable and way, way quicker.

Hex, IanW, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I keep my key on an ancient Carhartt lanyard after a few 'incidents'.

adidan likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

About a year ago my mother asked for help opening an electronic safe of my dad's - before he died, they keys for the override lock were lost and we had no idea what the pin was. I'd watched loads of Lockpickinglawyer on YouTube so I thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

I'd never picked up a lockpick in my life. It took me one YouTube tutorial and 5 minutes to pop that safe open.

Your locksmith probably didn't even have to pick each pin, he might have easily been able to get away with raking the pins.

It's terrifyingly easy.

Hex, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I fitted my whole house with Avocet ABS cylinders, moreso for the anti-snap facilities. Recently my toddler learned how to open the front door so I fitted an additional lock higher up, it was convenient to be able to order another cylinder just from the code, it arrived matching the existing keys.

Other components of my security system are a dog, and six cell Maglite (1000 lumen LED drop-in so it actually functions as a torch when required).

Hex, IanW, Arboreal and 1 other person like this.
  5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

He didn't need to, he stuck a U-shaped piece of metal through the letter box and just pulled down the handle. It was a "It's not the tightening of the screw you pay for, it's knowing which screw to tighten" sort of thing.

Pete J and Byron C like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

OOOoooo, fancy! And it took LPL a full 5 minutes to pick it open - when LPL publishes a 17 minute video on a lock, you know it's going to be extremely secure!

"£10 for banging it with a hammer, £990 for knowing where to bang the hammer".

IanW, Pete J and Arboreal like this.
  7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have the same, although in my case "whole house" is literally one door. Has the nickel plating come off the magnets on your keys yet?
    Ah, bypass - nice!

My door doesn't automatically lock, you can only do so by physically turning the key from the outside. Makes it a lot harder to get locked out!

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yes, but not in an offensive way.

This was one of Laura's stipulations, as she's a dunce who would get locked out otherwise. She's still been locked out a few times, but it would have happened a lot more otherwise.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope. Never done that. Never locked myself out just by going out for a quick smoke and forgetting to take my keys.

:duh:

Luckily I had my phone (pre-smartphone era) and could call someone. A family friend brought one of their kids around because his arms were small enough to reach in through the vertical letterbox and un-latch the door from the inside. Must've looked dodgy af to any passers-by!

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The family trip to the Singapore GP is officially cancelled, that was my mum's 60th birthday present for 2020.

Now I got two miserable, sick, pissed off retirees. Yayyy!!!

Last edited: 28 Apr 2022
  11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Training is exciting but tough and fast paced, cant wait for this weekend so I can come up for air.

The_Crapman, IanW and Pete J like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

In hindsight...

Starting my afternoon/evening with a bottler of Rattler at ~1530 was... inadvisable.

Drinking 8/9 pints at a work do was... risky.

Topping it off with one... or two...or four... at a rock club was...

Yeah...

I'll pay for it tomorrow.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Blood is black under UV light. That's just semen.

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

Oil pressure relief valve was being held open by swarf. Why is there swarf in my engine?

Pete J likes this.
  16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Grind it til you find it?

IanW and ElThomsono like this.
  17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's a 1976 Land Rover, so that is exactly my plan.

IanW and Pete J like this.
  18. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

So few "friends" invited me to play something online. Hopped on their discord, greeted everyone, got greeted back and... Then ignored. Not a single reaction after that so said bye and left their server

Had a feeling they might not be people I'm compatible but c'mon, that was not worth raining hate via DMs

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I clean my cat's litter box out every day. No problem.

It turns out now, after being delegated the role by my OH, I am now also responsible for cleaning up after a tiger that has started going in our garden.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[1st World Problem/Rant]

LET ME CANCEL MY ****ING PLAYSTATION PLUS SUBSCRIPTION FFS

Try to sign in to my account online - find that I haven't set up the credentials on my mooltipass yet, so I have to migrate credentials from KeePassXC to Mooltipass. Fine.

Log in to my Sony account and try to change subscription settings, every single time I click something on the account management page I get a pop up telling me I'll be taken to a new page. Well... um... Yes.... That's what happens when you click a link, you get taken to another web page, THAT'S WHAT LINKS ARE FOR.

Now I get redirected to store.playstation.com... OK, why? Why couldn't I do it on the previous page where I was supposedly managing my account? Fine...

Try to turn off auto renewal for Playstation Plus and I get a nice message telling me my subscription status didn't change, please try again later.

Turn off all the privacy plugins and ad-blockers on that site - nope, still the same message.

Try it in Edge, since most of the internet seems to treat Firefox like a second-class citizen. Except it turns out I didn't save the credentials on my mooltipass properly and I've deleted them from KeePassXC. So now I have to change my password.

10 minutes and god knows how many 2FA messages later, I'm signed in via Edge.

Try to turn off auto renewal for Playstation Plus...... aaaaaand I get the same thing: "Nah mate, **** off, not doing that, ****in do it later or something I dunno".

OK, so let's try to delete my card details from my Playstation Store account.

NOPE. Now it's a different message: "Well that didn't work. Wait a minute and try again."

Switch back to Firefox... Need to sign back in because new password and now I can store the credentials on the mooltipass properly...

OK, let's try turning off auto renewal again...

Nope. "Well that didn't work. Wait a minute and try again."

Waits several minutes....

"Well that didn't work. Wait a minute and try again."

Angrily clicks "Payment Management" to try removing card details again....

"Well that didn't work. Wait a minute and try again."

This is a multi- multi- multi-billion dollar company for ****'s sake! How ****ing hard is it to have a ****ing website that works?! Stop giving me some stupid ****ing "Baby's First Error" horseshit and give me a real ****ing error message! I've wasted 45 ****ing minutes of my life just trying to save myself £6.99 a ****ing month! I will cancel this now, I will figure this out right now out of sheer bloody-mindedness - Sony can absolutely get ****ed if they think they're getting another penny because I gave up with their horrific user experience. I will cancel the ****ing card if I have to - try charging a cancelled card, you useless ****s.

How easy is this with my Microsoft account? Oh, account.microsoft.com, that's pretty easy to remember. Oh look, there's all my subscriptions listed in one place - and what's that? Cancelling a subscription actually works? Well slap my ass and call me Shirley, turns out it CAN be easy to do! Well **** me, eh?!

[/1st World Problem/Rant]