1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 thread

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 13 Dec 2020.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So Audi are looking to just buy McLaren!? Seems a bit drastic. Could buy Williams for far cheaper and I feel like they'd have more of the bits that Audi might be missing to make a run of it on their own. Or maybe the Porsche-redbull partnership involves buying out Williams?

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Mclaren make a degree of sense to me.

Mclaren are regular top 5 finishers, already have (or are building) top level infrastructure and the racing team is being run by a man VW group already has a great deal of experience with (Seidl). Any savings they could get buying Williams would be eaten up and then some dragging Williams up to Mclaren's level, nevermind thinking about challenging RB/Merc/Ferrari.

Vs spending billions building a team from scratch buying an existing team is definitely the way to go. The big question to me is whether or not the Bahrainis would be interested in selling. Mclaren's a prestige brand and it's cost to the country is negligible. The only team that really looks in trouble at the minute is Aston Martin, the parent company's broke, Stroll snr's ego is going to crack sooner or later. But buying them would present all the same problems as buying Williams.

Red Bull would be interesting, the in-fight over whether it's RB Porsche, AT Audi or RB Audi, AT Porsche would be epic. With RB already having an engine available they might be the cheapest option too. I dread to think how much building F1 engine/hybrid/batteries from scratch would cost.

4. The_Crapman

Yeh I take the point on McLaren. Maybe the plan is Audi buy McLaren, porsche take over alpha taurih, so you have "red bull Porsche", with Porsche helping with the red bull powertrains on cost and development, "Porsche" or "Porsche alpha tauri" with a team largely lead by Porsche, then "Audi"/McLaren Audi" which is the McLaren team with the Porsche/red bull engines, just labelled differently.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

From what I understand Dolton Capital see Williams as a long term investment that they plan to grow based on a high prediction of how much a Formula One team will be worth down the line. The numbers Audi are looking to spend, what Williams are currently worth and what Dolton say it will be worth are very much on different scales.

The whole Audi entry and by extension VW group doesn't make sense to me. The duplication of resources for example and the way they're going about things makes me feel I'm missing something that is mindbendingly genius. Either that or its a catasterfuck of epic proportions.

Didn't Audi announce they were making their own engines? Which is why a lot of disagreement is happening over "new engine supplier" rules.
    Porche get the leg up from Red Bull engines, while under the same parent company umbrella parallel development is happening with no rules governing the scenario of resource sharing. One or both have extra resources due to the new supplier leg up.

6. RedFlames

Isn't the whole 'spend 2 lots of money and compete against yourself' approach what they did in WEC with the Audi and Porsche LMP1 teams?

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

8. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

A race so dull that even Ted phoned it in in his notebook

9. RedFlames

It felt like Monaco, but American.

Everyone was the for 'the event' and everything going around the race and no-one notices that the race itself is ****.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's kind, it looked to me like Sochi, but American.

At least in Monaco there's plenty of people who want to be there, plus it's a race all the drivers would love to win. Here there were people who were paid to be there, people who's managers told them to be there and a bunch of racing drivers who could just barely hide their disdane for the place.

If this race makes it all 10 years it's supposed to I'll be surprised.

11. RedFlames

It was the Contractual Obligation GP

fix-the-spade and The_Crapman like this.
  12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The fake marina, football helmets for the drivers, largely non-event race - quintessentially American.

It was w@nk.

13. The_Crapman

I don't know what the channel 4 coverage was like, but every single sky pundit was licking the back teeth of "this fantastic Miami grand Prix", "what a great track" blah blah blah. It was, bland. Wasn't the worst gp ever, but was not the incredibly exciting race we were being told it was, which probably made it seem worse.

14. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It was bloody terrible, hyped up to buggery over every teeny tiny detail.

15. RedFlames

I mean, isn't it always? Or was it especially ott this time?

16. The_Crapman

They were making an extra special effort, like sky had been told "plug the bejesus out of it or we'll cancel your contract immediately" level of cock suckery.

David likes this.
  17. RedFlames

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. The_Crapman

The amount of shittery with him from McLaren over the weekend was nauseating.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

True enough.
    I don't know if they 'upped' their game or it just grated more due to the lack lustre racing.

20. RedFlames

Likewise Vegas...

which, tbh, i expect to be like miami, only 1000x more cringe