1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other FTTP rollout UK

Discussion in 'General' started by Krikkit, 29 Sep 2021.

1. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I snaffled a £29pm from Vodafone for their 900Mb package. I think it's only on offer in selected locations though (for instance, I'm in one of the CityFibre monopoly zones for another year or so). Worth looking for though in case you qualify!

ElThomsono likes this.
  2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

We've spied https://www.airband.co.uk/ surveying the local area, after speaking to the bloke he reckons it'll be 3 - 4 months before things get moving.

So time to decide if I want FTTP or not, currently sitting on the not side of the fence.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thanks, no joy in my area. Not sure why there aren't many ISPs picking it up here.

Anyway, I've gone for BT in the end - 500Mb for £41/month with 6 months Xbox pass included (which nets off a bit of my spending). Hopefully in a couple of years there'll be more providers offering good speeds/prices.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Recently I saw a man in hi-vis with a tablet, outside, looking around. Later when I took the dog for a walk, I saw his van, bearing the name of a network services company, so stopped to talk to him. Turns out he was doing the first stage surveying work for Airband. Apparently once they start the work they get on with it, so, fttp is finally coming to our village and likely within a year. No more all night downloads!

wyx087 likes this.
  5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I hate this thread.

FTTP still a way out because the FTTC here is "good enough"... which is apparently how you describe 25/2
    4G at least has serviceable speeds, but with the ever-looming FUP
    Before I re-up both of them for another year's contract I've poked a few "business" ISPs, but having exhausted my own research I'm pretty sure there's nothing of interest between what I'm currently doing and a 1Gb Leased line at a possibly slightly too frivolous £700/month, nevermind the installation

</grump>

EDIT: Meanwhile to add insult to injury, a new router turning up in the post today supports up to 10Gbit WAN.

Hex likes this.
  6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Thinking point.
    What's the deal with having a home phone number when on FTTP, have to get a VOIP provider?
    For some reason SWMBO insists on having a home phone despite both of us having 2 mobiles each.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Can I ask what router is that?

I hate the provided router, it's too locked down. But Community Fibre says their top package provided router has 10 GbE WAN and a 10 GbE LAN port. So I'll be looking at upgrade to 10 GbE in-home infrastructure over next couple of years. This means 10 GbE router and switches.

Don't loose hope yet, looking at many messages in this thread, it seems there are zero communication when fibre are about to be rolled out. It just happens when you spot people doing the work in the streets.

This is the biggest positive. I've cleared ~500GB of games (mainly Steam) from my game drive because I know I can easily download them should I want to play. Halo Infinite season 2 patch was done before I finished reading the patch notes.

Have you actually used your home phone last couple of years? If not, there's no point getting one now that fibre price is standalone (not tied to line rental + mandatory phone package years ago).

We have never used home phone in our house for last 8 or so years. Bought a wireless handset but after a few spam calls, just completely disconnected it.

Mr_Mistoffelees and mrlongbeard like this.
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I haven't, but I'm anti social :hehe:
    The only time its used is for incoming calls, for some unknown reason her family (of which there are many members) always default to calling the landline.

If I do go for FTTP it may be time for a chat as to the whys and wherefores they prefer to call us on the landline

wyx087 likes this.
  9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It's a UXG-Pro - https://eu.store.ui.com/products/unifi-next-generation-gateway-professional
    But also if you were smart (and also didn't mind having all your eggs in one basket), you would get a UDM-Pro instead, because it is the same core plus several extra features, for £150 less.

EDIT:

I thought I'd get a couple quotes before I renew both my 4G and DSL contracts for another year.

And it's good news! The cost of leased lines has come down since I last inquired, especially for a 1Gb bearer.

Though whilst my desire for better internet as and such my "sod it lets do this" threshold has been steadily rising, not quite there yet.

For anyone else wondering what it costs to bridge the gap until consumer FTTP arrives in their area:

Construction charges (est): £2000-3000 (for me specifically, could be wildly more, or nothing at all, depending on where you're at)

36 Month contracts:
    100Mb bearer, 100Mb line: £390/mo
    1Gb bearer:
    100Mb line: £474/mo
    200Mb: £534
    300Mb: £606
    1Gb: £635

You lot with your ~£50 gigabit tariffs don't know how lucky you are.

Last edited: 13 May 2022
    Hex and wyx087 like this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If those are all monthly, I'm glad I don't live where you do.

11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Chat had (still not convinced on my need for FTTP tough)
    All the oldies that call us do so from landlines (don't have mobiles), everyone else in her tribe who do have mobiles are all on PAYG, so long story short it's cheaper for them to call a landline.

So they'll be told to jog on if I do go for it.

wyx087 likes this.
  12. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Similar thing here. They're doing the big "Rural Rollout", so we've got about 3 different FTTP companies pulling fibre down the Lane I live on. But when asked, they said it'd be ready in about 3-4 months, but not the end I live on cos 15/1 is "plenty" :waah: I was originally on 25/1, but it's been getting steadily worse over the last 3 years. OpenReach admit our Lane's cables are awful and need replacing, but won't replace them. Yay... I'm on a banded profile all the time, so calling out my ISP has them check it - find it all OK - call out OpenReach - they swap some connectors in the cabinet - then take me off banded so it looks good again and leave. After about 48hrs or so, back on banded again. Rinse and repeat :sigh:

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I got an email telling me gigabit fibre was available in my area ... yeah, turns out they were using my old postcode in Leeds, so 130 miles from my current area. Thanks for getting my hopes up Voda.

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

City fibre are headed our way. They've done the main road and are going down the road parallel to us this week.
    The barriers are still up on the corner, so it looks like they're headed down our road soon.
    Will be interesting to see what the options are to move from Virgin.

15. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Managed to get fttp when I was in the uk which was a nice 900 down 100 up

now in HK I can get:
    1gb
    2.5gb
    4x1gb (no I don’t get it either)
    10gb

I know HK is a much smaller place so rollouts are probably easier but the uk needs to pull its socks up on internet speeds.

wyx087 and Hex like this.
  16. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I'm a FTTP openreach engineer, it's my job to roll out and fit this stuff. I mainly do complex installs or jobs that have been thrown back that are too difficult for contractors and faults.
    If anyone has any questions i'll do my best to answer them.

I get all the stuff from BT for free, but there isn't any FTTP in my village apart from on the more rural outskirts so im stuck with virgin for a few years yet.

IanW, adidan and Hex like this.
  17. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

You get digital voice (VOIP) phones. They connect to the hub via wifi. They act the same otherwise. Good thing about them is they don't need to be plugged into the wall so can be located anywhere with the charging doc.

But if your house phones are not super old they may be able to plug into the back of the router directly and work that way.

Also don't take too much from that map, it will have massive areas that aren't coloured in, indicating that there is no FTTP and no plans before 2026, but some of them areas are already FTTP just not entirely.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My missus likes a home phone number too, as well as using the house phone in preference to mobile as it's more comfortable to use long term than a mobile and we already have a load around the house, we are using a pay as you go Sip account with sipgatebasic for home phone, using our old DECT phones via an adaptor.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

We use SIP for our work phones, very cheap compared to copper line phones, and cool features like web dashboards etc. @mrlongbeard you could order a VOIP phone number, then set it up to auto-forward to your mobiles if you like, no need for a house phone, but they have a land-line number to call. You can usually choose your geographic region and often the number itself as well.

mrlongbeard likes this.
  20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Thanks guys, all good stuff.
    I'm still not convinced that I need FTTP but will file the info away should the need arise