1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Welcome to the club!

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

PXL_20220519_055434943_2.jpg

PXL_20220519_055530391_2 (1).jpg

PXL_20220518_235113369_2.jpg

Unsure on the light grey and amount of orange. The blue alpha caps came with a dark grey/blue modifiers. Might stick them on and see which I prefer.

The LEDs are flickering though. Really annoying. Might have to see if this is a know problem.

3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Is it plugged into a USB2 or USB3 port? I’ve heard that some boards prefer the extra bit of power they can pull through a USB3 port

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

After killing my Filco during Lockdown I went and picked up a Logitech G513. All had been going well but over the past 6 months I have found that the space bar likes to pop off one of the stabilizer keys.

The middle key is the actually input key with two keys on left and right wityh a stabilizer bar underneath. Though I have noticed that the bar itself seems to get stuck. Unfortunately due to design it cannot be directly looked at unless I want to desolder the whole thing.

Guess I am in the market for a replacement.

Considering going back to Filco I don't care for RGB or use the Logitech software.

Then I see the Durgod and I am torn. The retro look is rather appealing.

I guess my undecisive ass will continue till I have had enough of this keyboard being annoying.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

In a usb 3, asking around someone advised resetting the board completely, which worked :clap: until I set a custom profile and the flickering returned. :duh: Swapping back to any of the stock profiles the flickering stopped. I could get it to almost entirely stop by going to the stock fixed colour and then turning on the stock profile.

Love my durgod. They're available in grey too which look :baby: :naughty:
    [​IMG]

BeauchN likes this.
  6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You got me tempted. I will wait till end of the month and then make a decision. I have also just priced and specced a move to AMD. Which is going to cost a pretty penny.

7. Cheeky3

Cheeky3 What's a Dremel?

Crazy how this thread started with a member asking for help just over 10 years ago :rollingeyes:

My reply - I bloody well hate mechanical keyboards !! :wallbash: I only like flat keyboards :cool:

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

10 years is nothing around here... The Ruining and Awesome threads go back to 2009, Latest Purchases goes back to 2007... I'm sure someone will be able to find even older active threads!

What's crazy is that I've been a member of this forum for almost as long as some of my work colleagues have been alive.

LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.
  9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You try tellin' that to the kids today and they won't beleive ye.

IanW likes this.
  11. Cheeky3

Cheeky3 What's a Dremel?

Yeah but that’s an off topic topic though. This is a help thread. Who do we ban for digging up such an old thread now?? :p

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ban people for digging up old threads? When my user title says "Official Necromancer"? I'd be out of a job! :lol:

The_Crapman and IanW like this.
  13. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Byron C likes this.
  14. VictorianBloke

Do the south facing LEDs light up the keycap legends at all?

I'm currently debating between a GMMK Pro/Keychron Q2, or GMMK 2 65/Keychron K6.

I need my arrow keys back, and would prefer some illumination of the key legends. But also kinda want to try out a gasket mount board because, well, reasons.

15. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Yes they do, but usually to a lesser extent than a north-facing LED. It depends a bit on the switches you’re using. Here is my Q2 with shine through caps on the arrow keys, but the switches are Silent Alpaca V2s that are translucent but dark so block a fair bit of light.

VictorianBloke and wyx087 like this.
  16. VictorianBloke

Ah, magic, cheers.

I'm currently using Boba U4 silent switches, which do have clear tops, but opaque white bottoms. Might just take a punt, I'm very much liking the look of the Q2.

17. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

It’s a nice board, solidly built and heavy, so not one to cart around all day!

Edit: I do need to fix the slightly wonky backspace though…

VictorianBloke likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Very happy with my Ducky TKL, but feeling the need for a 65 for no apparent reason...

19. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I think 65 is the sweet spot if you want a compact board. My first mech board was a 65 and I’ve tried all sorts of 60% variations with and without arrows (and admit a real soft spot for the HHKB layout) but have come back to a 65.

I’m waiting on a group buy for the Ellora65 that I hope will be my final board. Ive got far too many and should really have a clear out of the ones I’ve got already :worried:

LennyRhys and Arboreal like this.
  20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My Filco is going nowhere, by far the best keyboard I have ever owned and, TKL hits the sweet spot for me.

LennyRhys likes this.