1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I tested negative for 2 days despite the sore throat and headache and then, on the 3rd day, the dreaded line appeared on the test. Same as for my father, a couple days before. He had it way rougher than I did, for the first 36 hours, Covid exacerbated his asthma badly. Twice, I found him with a knee on the floor, almost unable to breath. He’s much better now, he just booked an appointment for his 5th vaccine.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

<TotalFirstWorldProblemAndNotReallyRuiningMyLife>

Where is my Steam Deck dammit, it's a week later and I'm still waiting for a message to tell me it's been shipped :waah:

</TotalFirstWorldProblemAndNotReallyRuiningMyLife>

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

VM sent an engineer out.

Always inspires confidence when the engineer [essentially] goes 'nope... no idea what's wrong here...'

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Debt, so much debt. Couple that with a job that is vastly underpaid and it paints a pretty little picture (one that I also can't afford :hehe:).
    On a brighter note though, I'm hoping some job applications will come back positive :)

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Not ruining, just mildly disappointed. I've ordered a few 207mm long custom bicycle spokes from a seller in Dorset but the ones I got sent measure 216mm long... Good thing I've only ordered 5 spokes and not 72.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jul 2022
  6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Partner found out that when she visited her friend (+kids) last week they all had covid. Worse yet, they all knew they had covid before she came over... She was getting her hair done at the same time so probably a part of it was motivated by loss of earnings.

Now... we've only just had it so I think its fairly slim we'd get it in quick succession. I'd just prefer to have been given the option.

I just don't get people... literally give zero shits about anyone else

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

"Friend"

perplekks45 likes this.
  8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Wearing a stab vest in this heat, holy **** I think I'm gonna die

9. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That's exactly what they're meant to prevent young man.

keef247 and mi1ez like this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Either stabbed or boiled. Looks like you’re scuppered!

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Weather whinging.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of hot weather but the media is acting like we've never seen it. Due to hit temperatures that we need warnings and an Aussie may consider taking their jacket off.

I told my Aussie mate this, over where he is the cricket is only called off when temperatures hit 42 degrees.

12. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Didn't think the cricket got cancelled unless you were actually on fire.

keef247, IanW and adidan like this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's not about absolute temperature, though, but a combination of temperature and humidity. I used to live in the Middle East, and temperatures went above 50°C in the summer (although not officially, 'cos if they went above 50°C officially people had to go home instead of working...) - but it was a dry heat. Unpleasant, but manageable with enough water.

The UK ain't a desert. We get lower absolute temperatures, but they're typically humid. 50°C was fine for me in the Middle East, but I'm useless when we get above 30°C in Yorkshire.

Then there's the fact we're ill-equipped to handle it. Old-stock housing is built to retain heat, and it does that pretty well. Great in winter, awful in summer. We also don't have air conditioning: between 60 and 90 per cent of Australian houses have air conditioning, depending on what region you're looking at; as of a 2008 study I can't seem to find an original link to so have a double-glazing blogspam site instead only 0.5 per cent of UK households have aircon. There's no respite. Most commercial properties don't, either, and it's only in recent years it's become a default option on mid-range-upwards cars.

Isitari likes this.
  14. adidan

I mean there is usually a forest fire at the same time, his lad's match was cancelled because it was too smokey last year, but which comes first I'm not sure. :)

15. adidan

You're talking about the Middle East. I imagine Aus is alot more humid than the Middle East, well depending where you are in Aus that is.

From what I gather they don't tend to air condition their cricket pitches either. Sure you may have it sitting in the pavillion but you ain't if you're out fielding all day.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I am, mostly 'cos I've been there but I ain't never been to Australia.
    Well, that's just lazy. If Qatar can do it for football stadia, Australia needs to step up its game.

It's currently 30 degrees and 45 per cent RH in my office, incidentally.

17. adidan

Fancy a game of cricket? :happy:

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, same experience for me, I used to live in Sicily, closer to Africa than Italy :D and was quite comfortable there but as you say nudging 30 here is not as bearable.

Still far better than places like Hong Kong which get very hot and humid I really struggled there, on the plus side when I was struggling to manage the heat/dehydration the doctor told me to eat more lots of unhealthy foods to help me retain all the stuff my body was loosing through sweat :D

adidan likes this.
  19. adidan

This is definitely information that I can use :happy:

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

TIL - Linux kernels 5.17 onwards have broken bluetooth.